Milky Way

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Khufu.
I am no expert but I think you will at least need to put a piece of glass of the same thickness, and possibly refractive index? I think I read about this in some detail on one of Roger Cicala's (lens rentals) posts. I have a feeling it was one about the machinery they recently bought for testing lenses. I also watched a video ages ago about removing the filter and thing there was something about it there too. I think that one was about a 300D.

Cheers, Graham.

Khufu said:
This thread (or the fraction I've seen of it so far) is amazing! Thank you everyone, who's sharing their efforts and insight :)

I've lots to learn but I really, really want to! I've been threatening to convert my EOS M to Full Spectrum for a little while, thinking I might give it a go myself, having seen some online deconstructions etc, but I'm no expert on these things.

I love the idea of going FF/FullSpectrum like you have with the 6D, cazza132, your results are wonderful... but I think I'll start with the EOS M ;) Is yours a total filter-removal job, and is this the preferred way for Astro-'togs? I'm aware there are various filter replacements with different frequency ranges for different results but if there's no reason to replace one bookend with another I'll be happy to go properly Full-Spec and filterless!

Also any advice on where to start with the essentials (tracking equipment etc? Software?), as direct advice or respected online resources worth reading through, would be super appreciated! I'll start with the rest of this thread, from the beginning, and take notes ;)

Happy shooting, everyone!

Upvote 0
Edward Paul said:
telemaq76 said:
Milky way with 50 1.4 art series, 1dx and ioptron skytracker for the sky
3 minutes exposures, iso-1250 f3.2

Beautiful. Ok, if you're tracking the stars how come the foreground isn't trailed? Is it a separate exposure for the foreground layered onto the sky shot?

YES absolutly, tracking for stars, and another shot with no tracking for the ground, both blended with photoshop

Upvote 0
douglasgritzphoto said:
This is next to the Pawnee Buttes in northeastern Colorado.

What are the red lights in the background, almost looks like an airfield, but then again doesn't?

Halley VI Research Station, Antarctica. Taken on a foggy morning with a fair bit of light pollution for here as a result. Samyang 14mm 8 seconds @ ISO 3200

Attachments

• MilkyWayPano.jpg
    MilkyWayPano.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 241
Upvote 0
Best shot from a recent trip up to The Pinnacles Desert in Western Australia.

Small and Large Magellanic Clouds on the left, Mars and Saturn are below the galactic core just left of centre. Light glow from a small town called Cervantes on the far right...lights on the left are from a Tronox titanium mine near the town of Cataby.

Shot with a Canon 6D and Samyang 24mm f/1.4. Aperture was wide open at 1.4, shutter speed was 20s and ISO was 3200.

This was a 60-shot panorama (10 wide x 6 high) stitched together in PTgui Pro. I don't have a panoramic head for the tripod (yet!), so the rotation/panning was done manually.

Attachments

• IMG_1274 Panorama B-Edit.jpg
    IMG_1274 Panorama B-Edit.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
cjlove72 said:

Small and Large Magellanic Clouds on the left, Mars and Saturn are below the galactic core just left of centre. Light glow from a small town called Cervantes on the far right...lights on the left are from a Tronox titanium mine near the town of Cataby.

Shot with a Canon 6D and Samyang 24mm f/1.4. Aperture was wide open at 1.4, shutter speed was 20s and ISO was 3200.

This was a 60-shot panorama (10 wide x 6 high) stitched together in PTgui Pro. I don't have a panoramic head for the tripod (yet!), so the rotation/panning was done manually.
Wow! Nice pano. Welcome to CR!

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
cjlove72 said:

Beautiful shot.

Welcome to CR :)

Upvote 0
21507426844_e7eaf08da6_z.jpg

5Ds

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
Hmm... you could have probably framed it bit higher, and I think if you cooled it down and some more edits (clarity/sharpness) in LR you could make it pop better.

My first try using Canon DPP...

I note I need a more interesting foreground...

Thanks for the comments.

CB

Attachments

• Milky-Way-(Web).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 215
Upvote 0

DannyPwins

EOS Me
Mar 27, 2016
I've been lurking on this forum for at least the last few years. I always enjoy the images posted and techniques shared. This was/is my first attempt to shoot the milky way. The noise is high because I had to boost the ISO using a slow a 17-40 f4. I couldn't get the milky way that great on the moving cruise ship because they were playing a movie on the main deck and thats the blue light kind of covering it. I did luck up and get a lightning strike though. Not amazing like stuff I've seen here, but I wanted to share anyway.
Taken a little north of Cuba:
lseuqUh.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 188
Upvote 0