Milky Way

Valvebounce said:
Hi Kieth.
Very nicely done, nice balance of the light.
When you say light painting, I'm guessing from the description of one inside the skull etc you are doing it with flashes and not a flashlight shone here and there during the exposure?

Cheers, Graham.

KeithBreazeal said:
Cyclops Skull Arch at Alabama Hills, California
5D Mark IV, Sigma 14mm f1.8 Art 13 sec., f1.8, ISO 4000
This was the most challenging subject I have light painted so far.
One light inside the "skull", one to the left of frame, and one at the cameras position.

Graham- It was lit with two LED headlamps in fixed positions. The third light was at the camera position for fill and balance on the side.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Kieth.
Thanks for the clarification, I like the morgue shot too, some foreground detail makes the milky way shots far more interesting.

Cheers, Graham.

KeithBreazeal said:
Valvebounce said:
Hi Kieth.
Very nicely done, nice balance of the light.
When you say light painting, I'm guessing from the description of one inside the skull etc you are doing it with flashes and not a flashlight shone here and there during the exposure?

Cheers, Graham.

KeithBreazeal said:
Cyclops Skull Arch at Alabama Hills, California
5D Mark IV, Sigma 14mm f1.8 Art 13 sec., f1.8, ISO 4000
This was the most challenging subject I have light painted so far.
One light inside the "skull", one to the left of frame, and one at the cameras position.

Graham- It was lit with two LED headlamps in fixed positions. The third light was at the camera position for fill and balance on the side.

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
FINALLY!!!!! I got a clear night. Shot this last night in Algonquin Park, Ontario, Canada....

BTW, what software do people use to image-stack pictures like this? I tried registax but I was only able to make the image worse.....

nice shot

I use IRIS, it's old and it's last update was I think 3 or 4 years ago, but it's free. Registax would be my usual advice.

IRIS is like wading through treacle to drive it but it's so powerful you can do almost anything with it..

With wide field images it's very easy to make things much worse (sky gradients, forground confusing things, clipped stars etc, so many stars it can't align images and so on)

I assume you are stacking raw or TIFF images and not jpegs.

Upvote 0
Click said:
KeithBreazeal said:
Red Rock Canyon, California.

Beautiful. Great shot, Keith.

Thank you Click. I am really liking the Sigma 14mm Art. It is the easiest lens to manual focus on a star. The Rokinon 14mm is good at focusing, but the Sigma seems to be at least twice as fast to snap a star into critical focus manually.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:
scyrene said:
Superb colour!
Thanks scyrene :) This was actually an early test shot before I did some light painting. The warmer tones are much better for the natural colors of the landscape there.

I am very envious - what an amazing place to be! Except maybe the scorpions ;)

Upvote 0