Milky Way

I love all Milkyway shots.

Here's one I shot last weekend. Little Sable Point lighthouse along Lake Michigan. I wanted to hike to Big Sable Point lighthouse but the state park gestapo threatened me with a ticket and a tow if I left my truck after 10:00pm, even though I had a state park sticker. I think this worked out for the best.
6D
14mm Rokinon f2.8
ISO 3200
WB 3500
25 seconds

Attachments

• IMG_2866 resize1.jpg
    IMG_2866 resize1.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 235
Upvote 0

CurtL5

Purchaser of a little, Admirer of a lot
As I was scrolling through these, I had to chuckle since the OP never really opened this up to a community post of everyone's efforts. Still, the floodgates are open and I couldn't resist the opportunity to do the same.

This was a 7-shot pano of 20s f2.8 ISO4000 images using a 16-35 2.8 on a 5DMiii.
Post processed in LR and PS to boost the obvious.

(I was mortified at the number of bad pixels that showed up. Had NO idea I had that many as this was my first adventure into the after-dark realm)

Taken last April in Lake Tahoe...

Attachments

• Tahoe Pano_MW_sm.jpg
    Tahoe Pano_MW_sm.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 236
Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
CurtL5 said:
As I was scrolling through these, I had to chuckle since the OP never really opened this up to a community post of everyone's efforts. Still, the floodgates are open and I couldn't resist the opportunity to do the same.

We're all here to learn from each other, so I'm happy that other people also contributed their pictures and techniques.

Your picture is pretty awesome too. I should go out again, now that I have upgraded some of my gear.

Upvote 0

TheJock

Oct 10, 2013
Dubai
I’m planning a visit out to the desert on the 15th Aug (next new moon) and just wanted some opinions on this little idea.
The area where I’m going is in the middle of nowhere and has a nice manmade lake as a foreground subject, however it has some street lights on a main road (in the distance) due to a desert resort being not too far away.
I was thinking that if I was to use an ND grad upside down in my Cokin filter holder, from the bottom of the frame up to the horizon it would effectively cut out any potential street light noise, I’m not that bothered with the foreground in the shot as I’m looking to shoot the Milky Way, do you think this approach would work, or am I giving myself problems??
Thanks in advance. :)

Upvote 0

CurtL5

Purchaser of a little, Admirer of a lot
I think that will work just fine. The only possible issue is with the atmosphere itself - sometimes you run into some atmospheric filtering which I'm not sure that there is a way to predict without first-hand knowledge...

The filter idea should be fine though - especially with the soft grad edge.

Upvote 0

mikekx102

1DX Mark II =)
Aug 2, 2015
Western Australia
These are my favourites :)

All shot with a 6D and 24mm F1.4L II

It looks like many people are getting fantastic results with the Rokinon 14mm - that may have to be my next lens.

Attachments

• editIMG_8911.jpg
    editIMG_8911.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 424
  • Karratha LIA Stars 28-1-14 FINAL.jpg
    Karratha LIA Stars 28-1-14 FINAL.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 305
  • MilkyWay.jpg
    MilkyWay.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 272
  • Trees and Sky.jpg
    Trees and Sky.jpg