Mirrorless alternative to 5D mark IV

I currently shoot with a 5D mark iv and plan to switch to mirrorless when the Canon releases the new rumored bodies. Perhaps it's too soon to ask because specs haven't been released yet, but I'm wondering which of the two rumored (the EOS RS or EOS RL) would make more sense coming from the 5D IV. I shoot mostly portrait and landscape...but do occasional sports as well and like the versatility of the 5D iv. I've heard the "L" in RL is short for landscape although not sure what would make the body would be targeted to landscape (perhaps fewer frames per second?). I also read the EOS-RS may be a successor to the 5DS(R)...but what about someone like me coming from 5d iv. I realize there will likely be a 5D mark v but I probably won't go that route. It will also be interesting to see what video capabilities will be offered on the new mirrorless bodies.

Thanks

Possible variations that I can think of immediately: resolution, autofocus, focus stacking, frames per second, video capability, intervalometer capability, in camera stabilization, noise reduction

I too am interested in what the new bodies can do but speculation is pointless. All you can do now is put money aside so you’re ready when the time comes

edit: you mention landscapes. I don’t know how important focus bracketing is to you. If it’s something you want to use or might want to use in the future then you should also hold off on buying a lens until you know if it will work with the focus bracketing In your new camera

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
@pwsusi, yours is the $64,000 question (although we all hope that body will be way less expensive than that ;) ). It is simple......2 card slots, enough FPS, decent battery life, autofocus that is at least like all the other R varieties, weatherproofing, and IQ at least on a par with my 5Div. Who knows when this will happen?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I currently shoot with a 5D mark iv and plan to switch to mirrorless when the Canon releases the new rumored bodies. Perhaps it's too soon to ask because specs haven't been released yet, but I'm wondering which of the two rumored (the EOS RS or EOS RL) would make more sense coming from the 5D IV. I shoot mostly portrait and landscape...but do occasional sports as well and like the versatility of the 5D iv. I've heard the "L" in RL is short for landscape although not sure what would make the body would be targeted to landscape (perhaps fewer frames per second?). I also read the EOS-RS may be a successor to the 5DS(R)...but what about someone like me coming from 5d iv. I realize there will likely be a 5D mark v but I probably won't go that route. It will also be interesting to see what video capabilities will be offered on the new mirrorless bodies.

Thanks

What do you think mirrorless will offer you for the type of photography you do that a 5D Mark V would not? There are some things that mirrorless can do better than a DSLR, but there are also things that a DSLR can do better than a mirrorless.

Upvote 0