Monopod Case recommendations

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Just changed the head on my monopod and now my case doesn't fit. Now I know I can remove the AS attached head each time and store it in my camera bag but no, I'm not looking to do that. I have discovered that monopod cases aren't readily available like tripod cases nor are they interchangeable unless you want a lot of slop. Slik makes one but no one sells it. Any suggestions? Or a workaround? I'm looking for soft case, padded 26-28" long inner dimensions. Thanks!

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Siclick.
I took the if you can't say something useful say nothing approach. ;)
If you really want comments, I use my Sirui bag for my Sirui monopod which came with enough room for the removable stand / mini tripod thingy and also the Sirui L-10 tilt head that I bought to replace the dreadful (couldn’t stop it flopping and biting fingers) Manfrotto 234 tilt head.
The bag fits real nice, but in all honesty I only use it for storage and to carry the monopod from the house to the van, i carry the tripod naked once I arrive at my location.

Cheers, Graham.

I've enjoyed our conversation.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Siclick - Jobu, who I think are a UK company, used to make a large monopod case (80cm/31inch exterior) and it looks as if Carmarthen Cameras in West Wales still have them in stock.

They're a reputable company who carry quite a lot of stock, so they might well have your combination of monopod and head on their premises and be able to try it out to see if it works. Postage to North America shouldn't be that bad as, presumably, they weigh very little.

And (back to your avatar), I've been 'tout Campagnola' (Chorus, original off-road Centaur and Campag HP cantilevers) on my hand-built Tom Bromwich touring bike since the early 1980s. Lovely stuff. Though I do think the corkscrews are a little overpriced.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Hi Siclick.
I took the if you can't say something useful say nothing approach. ;)
If you really want comments, I use my Sirui bag for my Sirui monopod which came with enough room for the removable stand / mini tripod thingy and also the Sirui L-10 tilt head that I bought to replace the dreadful (couldn’t stop it flopping and biting fingers) Manfrotto 234 tilt head.
The bag fits real nice, but in all honesty I only use it for storage and to carry the monopod from the house to the van, i carry the tripod naked once I arrive at my location.

Cheers, Graham.
I was being silly, answering and responding to my own. Oh and I owned a dreadful 234 as well, good riddance. Now use a very nice and inexpensive Desmond. I actually bought it along with the L-10 but returned the Sirui since it seemed no different and $50 more. Nice piece of gear though.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Siclick.
I figured as much, my reply was meant to be a little tongue in cheek too! :)
I have lots of Manfrotto gear and I have to say the 234 is the only thing I have been disappointed with, enough to call it junk, first thing I re-engineered the pivot to get rid of the flop when loosening the clamp, put in another friction disc and still it would sink even after seriously over tightening the knob, and my old foreman said that I “never knowingly under tightened anything!” :D:D

Cheers, Graham.

I was being silly, answering and responding to my own. Oh and I owned a dreadful 234 as well, good riddance. Now use a very nice and inexpensive Desmond. I actually bought it along with the L-10 but returned the Sirui since it seemed no different and $50 more. Nice piece of gear though.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Hi Siclick.
I figured as much, my reply was meant to be a little tongue in cheek too! :)
I have lots of Manfrotto gear and I have to say the 234 is the only thing I have been disappointed with, enough to call it junk, first thing I re-engineered the pivot to get rid of the flop when loosening the clamp, put in another friction disc and still it would sink even after seriously over tightening the knob, and my old foreman said that I “never knowingly under tightened anything!” :D:D

Cheers, Graham.
People say the 234 can hold much more than it's 5.5 lb limit but I'm with you, very floppy. I also had the gasket get malformed and that was pretty much the last straw. My new Desmond is rock solid from what I can tell and I have nothing near it's weight limit.

Upvote 0