Moon photos

Here's an image from the other night:

33741838126_39b37a9d56_c.jpg

It's a two shot composite using different exposures to capture the scene as my eye saw it

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Gave a try this morning at capturing the ISS transiting in front of the moon. Unfortunately a tiny cloud decided to spoil the show just at the wrong moment (really unlucky, as the sky was overall mostly clear :mad: ).

Otherwise it turned out OK, at least for a first try, I think I didn't mess up the settings too much. I'm happy to get advice on how I can improve the capture process, hopefully I get to try again soon in better conditions.

As a side note, all the supposed flaws of the 5D Mark IV for video really worked for me here. Big crop factor was actually helpful, and the MJPG codec was a good thing for extracting and stacking frames.

Settings: 5D Mark IV, EF 100-400mm L II + 1.4x III Extender, f/8, 1/500s, ISO 2500. 4k capture @30fps, frames extracted, cropped and stacked in PS.

Attachments

• 20170719.ISStransit.jpg
    20170719.ISStransit.jpg
    964.9 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
DSP121 said:
Such a focused click!

That was autofocus. I tried manual focus and couldn't do it. The lens is so heavy that pointing it up at the moon and trying to focus at the same time was futile. I tried some shots that were supposedly autofocus where the focusing didn't work. I realized the problem was that in supporting the lens, I had part of my hand on the focus ring. Apparently just touching it is enough to disable autofocus. So I was learning how to use the new lens.

I was impressed by not only the autofocus, but also the IS. Looking up with that heavy lens extended all the way, I was quite unsteady. I had two photos where I didn't defeat the autofocus. I was of course using manual exposure. I made one picture at f/16 and one at f/8. They look equally sharp to me. Both were shot at 1/400 sec. and ISO 400. It is far and away the most expensive lens I have ever got. I am quite pleased with the purchase, and probably will still be after the credit card bill comes. It is also the largest and heaviest lens I have by far. I really need to get a heavier-duty tripod to use it. My current one supports it OK, but it is unweildy when I am trying to aim.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

Blood Moon (full moon eclipse)

today we have had a full eclipse of the moon in Germany.
The moon is hidden in the shadow of the earth. the sun rays are "bend" through the earth's atmosphere such that only red light hits the moon surface hence the name blood moon at least here in Germany we call it so.

Here are two of my results:
Blutmond-1.jpg

Blutmond-2.jpg

regards
Frank

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

Re: Blood Moon (full moon eclipse)

Photorex said:
today we have had a full eclipse of the moon in Germany.
The moon is hidden in the shadow of the earth. the sun rays are "bend" through the earth's atmosphere such that only red light hits the moon surface hence the name blood moon at least here in Germany we call it so.
This was the longest eclipse duration for this century (It lastet about 100 minutes).

Here are two of my results:
Blutmond-1.jpg

Blutmond-2.jpg

the small light point in the bottom right corner is the Mars, so these are two red planets in one shot.

regards
Frank

Upvote 0
i've the worst luck when it comes to shooting special moon events, pretty sure the last 4-5 super moon/eclipse/ISS passing through the moon i tried to shoot all were ruined by unexpected bad weather, when it was fully overcast last night i feared my curse came through again

luckily by the time i got to location the sky's cleared, but then i had to deal with the problem that is thick fog

overall pretty happy with the effort, but definitely wanted more shots including moon setting over one of the peaks at where i was but unfortunately the fog just got way too thick to image anything as it got close to totality

Moon Eclipse July 2018 by Tony, on Flickr

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0