Moonlit Landscapes

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Tom.
Very nice. Are they only moonlit, or did you use a bit of dusk or dawn? I only ask as moonlit shots often seem a bit flat, and these are not.
Is Corpse Road open for vehicular access or is it closed? Your pictures have inspired us to visit next time we are there, we like to get away from the crowd if we can, but although we don't mind a walk, we are not really walkers, and really not hikers! When I used to visit as a child I did get up on the top of the fell above Alston / Nenthead but that was with the family to collect the Landrover our friend had left up on the skyline when he went for the sheep!

Cheers Graham.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Ye these were all taken between 1-2AM on the 11th July 2014 which was a full moon.

Obviously I have added some contrast but it wasn't flat, exposure was 15 sec at F2.8.

In fact that night the sun set at around 11.30pm but the sky was dusk, it was really bright I camped there and got no sleep because the moon was so bright.

Haweswater Resevoir, Corpse Road, Cumbria by TomScottPhoto, on Flickr

Before the valley was flooded in 1929 there was a church in Mardale, it was only allowed its own cemetery in the 1700s. Until that time the bodies were carried all the way from Mardale, over the hill to Swindale Head, and then a further trek of several miles over slightly less difficult ground to the church at Shap. That is where the it gets its name "The old Corpse Road"

Old-Corpse-Road-map-001.jpg

The path is accessible from the road, it takes around 20 minutes to walk up to the derelict barn and there is a car park enough for 3-4 cars at the bottom of the path. Nice little walk, the south side of Haweswater is most certainly the most photogenic.

Upvote 0

Pieces Of E

Canon owners and operators
Dec 10, 2011
www.piecesofeonline.com
Awesome campsite Tom, were you just a slight bit concerned of werewolves? I'm serious, that looks like some pretty rugged, remote landscape and a perfect spot to pitch your tent. I know I wouldn't have slept that night either, would have been afraid to miss something awesome, if not just enjoy the peace and nature. Cool stuff man.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
A request: Could you guys include the exposure values for these pictures. Makes it easier to get some learnin. ;)
Not that this helps with all photos (or Keith's) but for photos with EXIF data embedded (I try to do that with my work), you might give an EXIF viewer plug in for your browser a try. I use FxIF for Firefox, personally. Once installed, you just right-click on the photo and choose the FxIF Data selection (for that plugin) and it shows you what is embedded. It'll give you something like this, with photos that have embedded EXIF:

Attachments

• 2014-07-22 15_11_45-FxIF Data for St_Marks_NWR_5-31-2014_7112_ID-XL.jpg.png
    2014-07-22 15_11_45-FxIF Data for St_Marks_NWR_5-31-2014_7112_ID-XL.jpg.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 953
Upvote 0

tomscott

Pieces Of E said:
Awesome campsite Tom, were you just a slight bit concerned of werewolves? I'm serious, that looks like some pretty rugged, remote landscape and a perfect spot to pitch your tent. I know I wouldn't have slept that night either, would have been afraid to miss something awesome, if not just enjoy the peace and nature. Cool stuff man.

Thanks, there isn't any risk of predators in England the worst I got was a sheep trying to get in the tent in the middle of the night lol

Upvote 0