More About the EOS 6D Mark II Shows Up for Certification

I'd be pleased if the 6D2 has a tilty flippy. It's an entry level FF, and need not be just like a 5D or 1D or you can get one of those. I'm generally pleased with my 7DII but it does seem slightly soft at times compared with my older 600D, perhaps due to the AA filter, and sometimes I still reach for the 600D for low level shots where the tilty flippy saves my knees and/or back!

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
midluk said:
There have to be features justifying the 1.5k-2k price difference between 6D2 and 5D4. Being able to change AF points while holding your camera normally is likely one of them.

Well 5DIV pluses will be better weather resistance and generally more rugged construction, along with top level autofocus and likely better video for starters. My guess is that the price differential will be under $1500. The 5DIV price seems to be dropping a little. A lot depends on how much Canon wants to make the 6D a very attractive proposition to people who have 5DII's 6D's, APS-C's and even 5DIII's. Tilty/flippy seems to be a given. Throw in a nice touch screen focusing feature...

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
rfdesigner said:
macVega said:
Ohh noooo.. please don't pollute the fine 6D with a clumsy tilty flippy screen, i hate those damn video gadgets on my camera :(

+2

I wouldn't mind if the size and weight stayed the same.. but if they go up then.....

+3

Keep that damn skippy tilt screen away from real cams. Use a smartphone and Wifi if you want to shoot mushrooms from below ;)

Upvote 0
davidj said:
Is there any chance that the slightly larger 6D II will have a joystick like the 5D and 7D?

The 6D dimensions are 144.5 x 110.5 x 71.2.
And the rumored 6DII dimensions are 144.0 x 111.8 x 75.5

That is, the 6DII is actually narrower than the 6D.
And given that it will have an articulated LCD, there will be even less room on the 6DII for a joystick.

Having said that, they will not include one anyway - because of product differentiation.

Upvote 0
midluk said:
There have to be features justifying the 1.5k-2k price difference between 6D2 and 5D4. Being able to change AF points while holding your camera normally is likely one of them.

I think that the 6DII will be priced at $2,300. That is, there will be $1K difference from the 5DIV.
Easily justified by an inferior AF system, speed (fps), weather sealing, and body ruggedness.

Upvote 0
vscd said:
rfdesigner said:
macVega said:
Ohh noooo.. please don't pollute the fine 6D with a clumsy tilty flippy screen, i hate those damn video gadgets on my camera :(

+2

I wouldn't mind if the size and weight stayed the same.. but if they go up then.....

+3

Keep that damn skippy tilt screen away from real cams. Use a smartphone and Wifi if you want to shoot mushrooms from below ;)

Funny, I was just using my 6D over the weekend, photographing mushrooms from below in live view, and thinking how this would be great with a tilty flippy screen.

Attachments

• Flower closeup (9 of 9).JPG
    Flower closeup (9 of 9).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 151
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
ScottyP said:
vscd said:
rfdesigner said:
macVega said:

+2

+3

Funny, I was just using my 6D over the weekend, photographing mushrooms from below in live view, and thinking how this would be great with a tilty flippy screen.

I was thinking that the tilty flippy's big advantage was for tripod shooting. I hadn't any idea of how helpful it could be for getting the underside of mushrooms!

Upvote 0
macVega said:

Just dont flip that f...... tilty screen! If you did not know, you can take photos with AND withouth that flippy screen.
And btw, i think you dont need any screnn anyway. Be a real phtographer and look through the camera and not camera's back! 8)

Edit: In fact, do this first, when you buy the 6DII with that flippy screen:
glue-clipart-Glue.png

Upvote 0
macVega said:

The thing I miss most on my 5D4 compared to my 70D is the tilty flippy screen. It is incredibly useful for astro photography or just everything on a tripod pointing (at least slightly) upwards. Or when the camera is in a position where it is difficult to get your head behind (e.g. for over the crowd shots).
The screen will likely make it a compelling complement to the 5D4.

Upvote 0
davidj said:
Is there any chance that the slightly larger 6D II will have a joystick like the 5D and 7D?

If the LCD has touch functionality, including touch to focus, I'd be happy without a joystick--touch is much faster. But I have to admit, with the MFT Panasonic I have, my big nose often messes up LCD touch focusing. Nothing's perfect I guess.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Just wanted to chime in and share my opinion on AF Point selection Joystick option for 6D Mark II:

1. For people that Focus and recompose all the time ( I shoot with 2x 6D originals), joystick or not - it makes no difference for the obvious reason. It won't get much use.

2. For people that utilise full spectrum of AF points available and shoot over optical viewfinder professionals or events, run and gun, PJ stuff, wide open with fast glass, etc... - AF point selection joystick is imperative to have. I argue that it isn't practical to use a camera without AF point selection joystick as a backup, unless you shoot with second camera with slow glass, stopped down or in live view on tripod with plenty time to compose your shot - landscapes, architecture, macro, food, etc.

Now, taking in the account that 6D mark II will likely be released with 40+ usable AF points, I do not see myself upgrading unless there is a tool to manage all those points provided when I shoot over optical viewfinder. I need to be able to switch between points in under 3 seconds whilst still controlling the subject over the viewfinder.
Failing that, I am good with the 6D original until I switched to 5D bodies when the price settles later next year.

Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
I waited so long for the tilty-flippy screen that I gave up on it and bought a Pentax K-1. I still have my 5Dsr, 5D3, and 7D2 with lots of lenses. By the way, check out the K-1 and you will see that needing a hinge on the left side for the t-f screen is just nonsense. There are lots of ways to hook up an articulating screen.
My point is that Canon doesn't really research what customers want except for, maybe, a couple of sports photographers. My best proof is that almost every Canon lens I own has (had) a third party lens cap, because Canon did not offer a center pinch cap for over 30 years. Who did not want a center pinch lens cap? Only those who never use a lens cap or those who never use a lens hood.
No full frame camera with a tilt screen---no more Canons for me.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Yay! finally the good stuff coming... I like the the Vari-Angle LCD screen. I hope this will have a better sensor than 5D4 like the 6D over 5D3. No mention of GPS. Hope Canon keeps GPS as well. I will be pleasantly surprised to see dual SD card slots. Hope at least now we will get support for UHS-ll card. One more wishlist of mine is AA filter cancellation like 5dS r. I know I am dreaming really big ::)

SL2 is also really interesting. Most likely it will have the 80D sensor with a 70D focusing system I guess :p

Upvote 0