More About the EOS 6D Mark II Shows Up for Certification

Oct 26, 2013
dppaskewitz said:
tmroper said:
But I have to admit, with the MFT Panasonic I have, my big nose often messes up LCD touch focusing. Nothing's perfect I guess.

Same with my nose and M5. Had to figure out how to turn off.

You can set how much of the screen to use for touch focus, so you don't have to turn it off.

Upvote 0
canonic said:
macVega said:
Ohh noooo.. please don't pollute the fine 6D with a clumsy tilty flippy screen, i hate those damn video gadgets on my camera :(

Just dont flip that f...... tilty screen! If you did not know, you can take photos with AND withouth that flippy screen.
And btw, i think you dont need any screnn anyway. Be a real phtographer and look through the camera and not camera's back! 8)

Edit: In fact, do this first, when you buy the 6DII with that flippy screen:
glue-clipart-Glue.png

Yes, if Canon include a bottle of glue in the box, it will be acceptable... ;D

Upvote 0
davidj said:
Is there any chance that the slightly larger 6D II will have a joystick like the 5D and 7D?

I'd like to see the 6D II go slightly upmarket, and keep the original 6D as the cheapest FF camera, and eventually replace it with an 8D.

I think that considering how Nikon directed it's lineups from the D600, D610, and D750, Canon definitely needs to bump up the 6D mk2. It needs dual SD card slots, or the 5D4 autofocus module, or BOTH if that's not asking too much.

If Canon only includes one of those main two differentiating "trickle-down" features, the camera will still do okay, but if it includes NEITHER, and sticks with a single SD card slot, rebel-style AF point arrangement ...and merely adds 4K video plus some other bells and whistles to the 6D, then IMO the camera will be a laughable failure. Especially since a Nikon D750 replacement is right around the corner, and it *WILL* include all of those things.

Upvote 0
RandomRazr said:
Is it worth waiting for the 6D II or should i buy the 5D IV now?

The 6DII will be announced in the next three months.
Unless you have a pressing need for a new camera, I'd say wait for the announcement before making a decision.

Would i expect "lesser" features on the 6D II then the 5D IV?

Of course.
It is expected that the 6DII will differ from the 5DIV the same way the 70D/80D differ from the 7DII.
So, it will be a 'lesser' camera in many respects.
My prediction, though, is that the 6DII will have more megapixels than the 5DIV (I'm betting on 36mp).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
midluk said:
macVega said:
Ohh noooo.. please don't pollute the fine 6D with a clumsy tilty flippy screen, i hate those damn video gadgets on my camera :(

The thing I miss most on my 5D4 compared to my 70D is the tilty flippy screen. It is incredibly useful for astro photography or just everything on a tripod pointing (at least slightly) upwards. Or when the camera is in a position where it is difficult to get your head behind (e.g. for over the crowd shots).
The screen will likely make it a compelling complement to the 5D4.

and confined spaces.... tilt/flip screens are great when the back of the camera is pressed up against something...

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
canonic said:
macVega said:

Just dont flip that f...... tilty screen! If you did not know, you can take photos with AND withouth that flippy screen.
And btw, i think you dont need any screnn anyway. Be a real phtographer and look through the camera and not camera's back! 8)

Edit: In fact, do this first, when you buy the 6DII with that flippy screen:
glue-clipart-Glue.png

Very well said. The tilting screens are HUGE help. In video OR stills. I wish all cameras have it soon including the 1d series.

Upvote 0
9VIII said:
Ironically the 5D3 had to be recalled just so they could add tape to the screen to prevent light leak.

Integrated screens are harder to make than flippy screens.

I disagree. A weather sealed screen WILL be harder to make,

but a tilt vs fixed where both are unsealed, the tilt is going to have more parts and more precision parts, so will be "harder to make".

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
9VIII said:
Ironically the 5D3 had to be recalled just so they could add tape to the screen to prevent light leak.

Integrated screens are harder to make than flippy screens.

The "light leak" in the 5Dlll was caused by the illuminating LED of the top display panel potentially effecting low light exposures. It had nothing to do with the rear display.

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
RandomRazr said:
Is it worth waiting for the 6D II or should i buy the 5D IV now?

The 6DII will be announced in the next three months.
Unless you have a pressing need for a new camera, I'd say wait for the announcement before making a decision.

Would i expect "lesser" features on the 6D II then the 5D IV?

Of course.
It is expected that the 6DII will differ from the 5DIV the same way the 70D/80D differ from the 7DII.
So, it will be a 'lesser' camera in many respects.
My prediction, though, is that the 6DII will have more megapixels than the 5DIV (I'm betting on 36mp).

on the video side, would that be lesser too? like lack of 4k? lol

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
midluk said:
macVega said:

The thing I miss most on my 5D4 compared to my 70D is the tilty flippy screen. It is incredibly useful for astro photography or just everything on a tripod pointing (at least slightly) upwards. Or when the camera is in a position where it is difficult to get your head behind (e.g. for over the crowd shots).
The screen will likely make it a compelling complement to the 5D4.

and confined spaces.... tilt/flip screens are great when the back of the camera is pressed up against something...
Perhaps I should have explicitly given that example, but it was meant to implicitly be included in "when the camera is in a position where it is difficult to get your head behind".

Upvote 0
SecureGSM said:
Now, taking in the account that 6D mark II will likely be released with 40+ usable AF points, I do not see myself upgrading unless there is a tool to manage all those points provided when I shoot over optical viewfinder.

Unfortunately, as much as I agree with you, this logical line of thinking, that strives to make designs internally coherent, is something that camera manufacturers have consistently failed at doing properly. The 80D's AF controls, for example, are rubbish relative to its number of AF points and what Canon can do.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
Says the person who never used it for macro, over head, low angle, studio shots (think of a tethered laptop as the big tilty flippy) stills shots..... I have had the tilty flippy (t3i) and often shoot with friends that have 80d, etc and the 1st thing I miss when I go back to my 5dIII and 1Dx is the tilty flippy. I would LOVE a tilty flippy on a "pro" stills body. Its like orange juice - its not just for video.

macVega said:

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Not to mention anyone with physical disabilities, or is older and might have trouble kneeling down to get shots of flowers or something similar.

Busted Knuckles said:
Says the person who never used it for macro, over head, low angle, studio shots (think of a tethered laptop as the big tilty flippy) stills shots..... I have had the tilty flippy (t3i) and often shoot with friends that have 80d, etc and the 1st thing I miss when I go back to my 5dIII and 1Dx is the tilty flippy. I would LOVE a tilty flippy on a "pro" stills body. Its like orange juice - its not just for video.

macVega said:

Upvote 0
I fully expect that the 6DII will be crippled in some significant way. Canon has a knack for making sure that you can't get everything you want in one camera.
I wish they'd make a do everything well, video and photo, camera and charge accordingly. No, the 5D4 is not that camera. It could have been if they had included just a few extras, like a flip screen, a decent 4K implementation, and some very basic video tools like focus peaking. So close and yet so far from being a truly useful all-in-one tool. Make a 5Dc and add $1000, I bet it would sell well.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Etienne said:
I fully expect that the 6DII will be crippled in some significant way. Canon has a knack for making sure that you can't get everything you want in one camera.
I wish they'd make a do everything well, video and photo, camera and charge accordingly. No, the 5D4 is not that camera. It could have been if they had included just a few extras, like a flip screen, a decent 4K implementation, and some very basic video tools like focus peaking. So close and yet so far from being a truly useful all-in-one tool. Make a 5Dc and add $1000, I bet it would sell well.

I'm sure canon would love to know how to put a DIGIC DV into a DSLR.

Upvote 0
Etienne said:

Crippled = not the perfect-for-everything-in-all-ways camera for entry level FF? Makes sense. ::)

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
Etienne said:

I'm sure canon would love to know how to put a DIGIC DV into a DSLR.

Nothing I mentioned requires a DIGIC DV. All of these features are available on other Canon cameras separately, Canon just won't put the complete feature set on the same camera. Even my EOS-M3 has focus peaking.

Upvote 0
LonelyBoy said:
Etienne said:

Crippled = not the perfect-for-everything-in-all-ways camera for entry level FF? Makes sense. ::)

Who's asking for perfect? Canon's feature sets are bested by Cameras half the price ::)

Upvote 0