More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

I believe the "new type of joystick" is going to be an eight-directional touchpad controller building on the tremendous success of the touch bar on the R. Remember, you heard it from me first! ;)
You laugh, but using the touchscreen for this works well, except for those with smaller hands. A small touch box might work well, sort of like a mini touchpad ala a laptop's touchpad. If you moved your finger to the side it could scroll more quickly than a joystick and as you brought it in to the middle it could slide the focal points to a smaller area. You could also do some neat ui tricks on the display by drawing a box around a zone of points, and moving your fingers to the edge of the touchpad moves that outer box to quickly zoom to another area of the display then moving more towards the middle selects the points in that zone.

You could do this with an analog style joystick too - light touch moves just one or two points at a time, hard push to the side moves 10-15 points at a time. If you've ever used a PS4 or Xbox, this would be analogous to the stick controller.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Hope is my isn’t larger than the EOSR. I think the R’s size should be the limit for mirrorless cameras. I think camera manufacturers need to think about that.
Dual slots, IBIS, more controls maybe better weather sealing and dual processors to keep up with the speed will obviously add to the size.
It is still going to be smaller and lighter than the 5DsR (or a Panasonic S1)
The vast majority of RF lenses (which will be the most suited for the megapixel count) will feel right at home.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
First half of 2020? Basically waiting for up to 9 months. Maybe up to a year. Any word on IBIS?
And most important question (which I'm asking myself) - should I maybe buy A7RIV?
I obviously don't know your specific situation, but I'd suggest you wait for this thing to be released before jumping to the A7R IV, so you can accurately compare them. Informed decisions are always good, even though waiting sucks. :) As far as IBIS...pretty darn sure it will have it. It looks like the R was supposed to have it, based on the big gap between the two internal circuit boards, but Canon held off. Probably needed to work out the kinks. Should be good to go by now, I would think.

Upvote 0
I obviously don't know your specific situation, but I'd suggest you wait for this thing to be released before jumping to the A7R IV, so you can accurately compare them. Informed decisions are always good, even though waiting sucks. :) As far as IBIS...pretty darn sure it will have it. It looks like the R was supposed to have it, based on the big gap between the two internal circuit boards, but Canon held off. Probably needed to work out the kinks. Should be good to go by now, I would think.
They also could have designed it so it could have it in the future without requiring a new body or internal framework design. One less component that needs to be retooled and could be used again. (unsure if they will use the touchbar again, as it doesn't seem as loved as they would have hoped)

Upvote 0
They also could have designed it so it could have it in the future without requiring a new body or internal framework design. One less component that needs to be retooled and could be used again. (unsure if they will use the touchbar again, as it doesn't seem as loved as they would have hoped)

my guess is they designed the ergonomic body, and simply had room left to spare.

I know.. that's not nearly as much fun ;)

Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Not this side of Xmas then...meaning a 5D type mirrorless may well not appear until the end of next year.

As far as I can tell, we have not seen a rumor about a 5D x replacement that is mirrorless. I haven't seen one. The fact that we haven't seen one suggests that, in the future, the R II might provide that replacement. With this strategy, if that's Canon's strategy, Canon could use the development time for the 1D x and R x cameras as well as the new M models to prepare for the mirrorless 5D x camera. Thus:

RP: 6D analogue
R: 5D analogue
RS: 5DS/5DS R analogue
RX: 1D x analogue

Of course, we know that Canon keeps a tight grip on the information that circulates about its gear. So, taking this conjecture with a grain of salt makes sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The number of different bodies Canon puts out suggests that they do not have or do not view different bodies as a constraint. Looking at Sony's background (electronics manufacturing) versus Canon's gives a clue as to the different design/manufacturing process that both companies follow. Whilst Sony seems to be constrained by body design, Canon does not.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
First half of 2020? Basically waiting for up to 9 months. Maybe up to a year. Any word on IBIS?
And most important question (which I'm asking myself) - should I maybe buy A7RIV?
Sure, get the a7RIV to hold you over until the Canon hi-res R comes out, then sell the Sony and get the Canon. Have fun out there! That is what photography is for!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
The number of different bodies Canon puts out suggests that they do not have or do not view different bodies as a constraint. Looking at Sony's background (electronics manufacturing) versus Canon's gives a clue as to the different design/manufacturing process that both companies follow. Whilst Sony seems to be constrained by body design, Canon does not.

Uh, not so sure about that. They’re definitely experimenting a bit with the mirrorless bodies, but their basic DSLR form factor and design language has remained basically the same since the inception of the EOS system 30 years ago.

Upvote 0
Uh, not so sure about that. They’re definitely experimenting a bit with the mirrorless bodies, but their basic DSLR form factor and design language has remained basically the same since the inception of the EOS system 30 years ago.
"basic DSLR form factor and design language"... not what I am saying.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm really disappointed about dual SD slots.

I'm going to be mad if Canon moves away from CF. Hopefully the 5D5 will continue to support both formats.
All cameras are leaving CF behind, in favour of CFExpress 2.0 or UHS-II SD. Even the 1DX III might switch to that, although that could be the only one that keeps it going for now, as well as some Blackmagic and other video cameras.

Upvote 0

ErlendS

R5, RP, RF 24-70L, RF 85L, RF 70-200L, RF 100-500L
CR Pro
Aug 24, 2017
Dual card slots, IBIS, silent shooting, ok FPS (8-10), ok 4K video, high MP, good eye AF, that`s all I am asking for. And that will stop me from jumping to Sony. I am really excited about the RF glass, but still impatiently waiting for the proper pro body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I’d have to imagine the video specs will be mundane considering the resolution as clearly this isnt built for video.
The Fuji GFX100 has decent 4k video and the APS-C crop variant of this generation sensor in the 90D can do cropped or uncropped 4k as well, so at the bare minimum, it should be able to do the 1.6x 4k crop with line-skipping.

So I can't see why here they can't do decent 4k in some way, either cropped or uncropped, external or internal - if they want to do it, that is very much another matter of course. Without an AA filter, the moiré control won't be the best and with the IBIS it needs better cooling as well, and it will be marketed as a stills camera, so they might not bother (C-Log will be skipped for sure, probably 1080p 120fps as well, etc.).

Last edited:
Upvote 0