More about the upcoming high-megapixel EOS R system camera [CR2]

what you want is a eos 5d mark iv for the price of a 200d. ;) and you want it now :ROFLMAO:

? Never said that.

5D mark IV was for a long time close to 4000 EURO which is converted to USD roughly 4500 USD compared to the 2800 EURO of the mark III after a few months. 5D iv was not worth the money FOR ME.
If the high res EOS Rxyz has good overall IQ and a good firmware (incl. 20.6 MPix RAW file) it would be worth maybe 3000 or 4000 EUR.
Maybe I was not clear: I use 200D and M50 as interim solutions waiting for "the fullframe camera" ... because I do not want to pay a lot of money for an IMO not so well rounded solution.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
All I want is a Canon camera with Sony specs...
Just buy the Sony and one of these and all your dreams can become reality. ;) Print that Canon logo and slap it on that Sony.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sometimes it’s good to remember that wanting can be more fun than having.
Just buy the Sony and one of these and all your dreams can become reality. ;) Print that Canon logo and slap it on that Sony.
That's funny! I've thought of that! LOL! I guess I'm loyal to Canon. Very funny!

• Haha
Upvote 0

bitcars

5D mark II
Apr 24, 2019
It is total possible that this high megapixel body may come with a crop APS-C mode, making it also shoot like a mirroless "7D mark III" body. A 5DS and 7D body in one.

Here is my 2 cents:

1. Reading between the lines from this rumor, there is an emphasis on the joystick design for the high megapixel body. It sounds great to me, but seems a bit out of place. Perhaps the body is also geared for high speed shooting? fast accurate AF point control is critical there, but the only way for this to be possible is if the sensor is cropped.
2. The rumored 83 MP sensor scales down very conveniently to 90D and M6 mark II's sensor size. So if there is a crop APS-C mode in this high MP body, it would mean Canon only need minimum implementation effort, and easily reuse existing software.
3. A high mega pixel pro body has a lot of design features that also benefit an APS-C sports body, for example in 5DS and 7D mark II both have dual processor, extra buffer etc. Duel memory card and weather sealing are needed in both too.
4. Full frame DSLRs couldn't be "cropped" as APS-C format cameras, mainly due to OVF and AF system unable to change format on the fly. That isn't a problem for mirrorless cameras though. I bet Canon is aware of that.
5. As we know this body was a bit of a "head scratcher", a mirrorless body that replaces both 5DS and 7D II would certainly be unexpected.
6. Marketing. Canon is one of the first to cry "market contraction". Combining product lines to expand market share is in their strategy book. Canon's been sending out smoke screen about rumored high MP mirrorless for a while, successfully leading its competitors to react with product that doesn't generate a lot of sales. So if this does play out, Canon will be able to grab a sizable market share with a novel product line.

Not a lot of facts to root from, but we are just here to spread discuss rumors anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
And, like the 5DS and 5DSR, it will be hamstrung by a dismal fps rate, for anything other than studio or landscape photography. When is Canon going to give us a full-frame, higher-megapixel camera that can shoot 10 fps (with AE & AF) like the Nikon 850 (9 fps with battery grip), the Sony A7R III (10 fps (Hi+ mode) & 8 fps (Hi mode)), or the new, 61-mp Sony A7R IV (10 fps).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
It is total possible that this high megapixel body may come with a crop APS-C mode, making it also shoot like a mirroless "7D mark III" body. A 5DS and 7D body in one.

Here is my 2 cents...

1) I expect that the price point of the rumored high megapixel R will be about twice the price of a 7D, which probably makes it difficult for Canon to sell it to 7D users.

...Not a lot of facts to root from, but we are just here to spread rumors anyway.

Actually we are here to read and endlessly discuss rumors that Canon Rumors Guy gets from industry sources. Granted, many people on this site don't get that and try to spread rumors of their own, but when they do that, they are really just taking up space. I'm not suggesting that you are spreading rumors by the way, you are just speculating. I just want to clarify that readers of this site are in no way qualified to float rumors.

Upvote 0
This camera looks terrific. I currently use a 5dsr, which is great, but more mp would be welcome. There are a bunch of archivists who, like me, could use those extra megapixels in a convenient to use package. It's the perfect camera for archival work all week and some general photography on the weekend.

All I'd like in addition to lots of mps is 4-5fps and a bit better af. That would make it the ideal all-rounder for me.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
1) I expect that the price point of the rumored high megapixel R will be about twice the price of a 7D, which probably makes it difficult for Canon to sell it to 7D users.
It could well be that Canon splits the 7D customers into two groups. Those that just want a nice APS-C camera are expected to buy a 90D and those that use bug whites anyway are expected to be able to spend the extra cash for all the high end features a 7D III would have had over the 90D.

It would probably make life easier for Canon.

One thing to note is that this high speed crop mode would likely just work with electronic shutter, unless they put a 1DX II grade mechanical one in the camera. Not sure if that is feasible from a cost perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bahrd

Red herrings...
Jun 30, 2013
I believe the "new type of joystick" is going to be an eight-directional touchpad controller building on the tremendous success of the touch bar on the R. Remember, you heard it from me first! ;)
Actually, I wonder why Canon haven't yet implemented the ThinkPads' TrackPoints? It's a field-proven tech, has a tiny footprint and no moving parts (can easily be sealed then).

And it's red! ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
i think its other way titlable viewfinder makes tiltable rear screen obsolete :p

easier make strong tilt viefinder with good locking position mechanism than strong tiltable rear screen.
Hard believe peoples who need high resolution camera ,wants selfie screen too :p.
Maybe you can turn viewfinder over camera too so you can fit camera to smaller bag.
For those who really need tiltable rear screen, external screen could work anyway better.
future should bring wireless viewfinder you can remove from camera and put over eye like monocle ,when camera on difficult position
The Vloggers like the articulated screen. ;) I do too because I am old and stove up. It is nice to not have to get completely down on the ground when nobody is around to help meget up. :cry:

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The 30 megapixel files are already causing lag on my 6 year old Dell XPS 8700 rig. I'd have to buy a new computer and a 4K monitor if I ever went to the high megapixel monitor. That ain't happening. I may just double the RAM to 32 mega bytes and upgrade the video card. Maybe the CPU is also swappable? Have a core i7 right now.

Upvote 0
And, like the 5DS and 5DSR, it will be hamstrung by a dismal fps rate, for anything other than studio or landscape photography. When is Canon going to give us a full-frame, higher-megapixel camera that can shoot 10 fps (with AE & AF) like the Nikon 850 (9 fps with battery grip), the Sony A7R III (10 fps (Hi+ mode) & 8 fps (Hi mode)), or the new, 61-mp Sony A7R IV (10 fps).

Here we go again. Have you used the 5Ds(R)? It does 5fps, just 1fps less than the 5D3. Turns out you can shoot a lot of stuff at 5fps - I've used the 5Ds for everything and didn't feel hamstrung one bit (admittedly I don't do much truly high speed stuff like BIF or sport but I have used it for the former on occasion). Once again, why do these high res bodies have so many associated myths? People need to broaden their horizons!

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Here we go again. Have you used the 5Ds(R)? It does 5fps, just 1fps less than the 5D3. Turns out you can shoot a lot of stuff at 5fps - I've used the 5Ds for everything and didn't feel hamstrung one bit (admittedly I don't do much truly high speed stuff like BIF or sport but I have used it for the former on occasion). Once again, why do these high res bodies have so many associated myths? People need to broaden their horizons!
He'd never buy one anyway, just like most of the complainers who live dismal lives. For a camera like that, I would never expect high frame rates. It isn't meant to be fast. People really do have strange ideas or are just plain ignorant.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Today we have dual pixel AF, and now imagine what quad pixel AF
on a 83MP sensor might be capable of.

Also, muse about those 83 MP binned down to 20something MP
in a sports camera, where every pixel is already debayered from scratch.

Canon certainly have taken their time for painfully long,
but the outcome seems worth the wait.

Just pre-ordered the 15-35, and I am second in line at my favorite dealer.
Now have a hard time waiting for the thing to land.
Once decided, every minute more waiting time is too much

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
CF is a dead format.
Not precisely. Some people like myself have only used the original Compact Flash, not QXD or CFexpress. They could very well be using CFexpress like on the new C500 cinema camera.

If that’s the case, this camera will likely fit Canon’s conceptual model of “consolidation”, which could be a FF and cropped (ie APS-C size) sensor operation. With APS-C (eg 32MP) size sensor reading and CFexpress, it can be a 7D Mark II upgrade for sport and wildlife

Upvote 0