More Canon EOS 6D Specifications Talk [CR1]

May 15, 2014
jeffa4444 said:
Listen Canon this is what "some" of us want.

24mp Dual Pixel
Higher flash sync 1/250
45 point AF with at least 9 points at f8
7560 RGB-IR metering (hell the 750 / 760D has this)
Improved DR
Tilting Screen (look at the Olympus one on the basic OMD-E-M10 MKII)
Wi-Fi
GPS
NFC
Anti-flicker
If possible in smaller & lighter package but retaining present 6D layout
Better weather sealing
USB 3.0

Don't care about 4K / 1080P hardly if ever used.

The original is Canon best travel camera strikes the balance between quality pictures & portability. If all of this is in or near what your working on then the current street price of the 5D MKIII is realistic. It also leaves room for a Rebel FF camera that has 19 point AF.

Yep, this sounds nearly perfect for me personally. And the best part, a lot of this seems just as reasonable to come to fruition as well.

Upvote 0

AA

Jan 30, 2015
Hahaha, that would mean we'd have a 6D in 2021(!) that shoots a max of 1080p video. By that time, all of its competition will shoot 6K or 8K. If that is the case, all my Canon glass will be for sale, and replaced with G-Masters. If Canon is two years behind the curve, I can stomack that. If it is five years behind, absolutely NOT acceptable! The 5D 4 is already a joke!

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2016
AA said:
Hahaha, that would mean we'd have a 6D in 2021(!) that shoots a max of 1080p video. By that time, all of its competition will shoot 6K or 8K. If that is the case, all my Canon glass will be for sale, and replaced with G-Masters. If Canon is two years behind the curve, I can stomack that. If it is five years behind, absolutely NOT acceptable! The 5D 4 is already a joke!
Canon : 2016= year of 1080p

Upvote 0
Newbie poster here.

I read all the specs and the pros and cons of all of these. For me though there is one thing that puzzles me.
Why are the two cameras that have the most waterproofing the 1 series and now the 7Dii. My 6D shivers at the first sign of mist in the air. For all the technology improvements, why not give me a waterproof beast. The protective covers, while protecting the camera from heavier downpours, help to a degree, but not hugely.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to why the camera marketed as a landscape camera, as the 6D was, so ill prepared for adverse conditions?

Upvote 0

asl

Aug 23, 2016
pokerz said:
AA said:
Canon : 2016= year of 1080p

How many ~2000$ non cannon cameras will be sold in Q2 2017 without 4K?. I actually do not believe it.
(unfortunately canon will sell them any way)

And tilting screen not fully articulated, it is like coming up with 3000x2000 video.
If this is true it is depressing.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
AA said:

By 2021, more than 99 percent of video will be viewed on smartphones where 4K is indistinguishable from 1080p.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
calaf_54 said:
Newbie poster here.

I read all the specs and the pros and cons of all of these. For me though there is one thing that puzzles me.
Why are the two cameras that have the most waterproofing the 1 series and now the 7Dii. My 6D shivers at the first sign of mist in the air. For all the technology improvements, why not give me a waterproof beast. The protective covers, while protecting the camera from heavier downpours, help to a degree, but not hugely.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to why the camera marketed as a landscape camera, as the 6D was, so ill prepared for adverse conditions?

Because it's not free.

No Canon DSLR is waterproof. They are weather resistant to varying degrees. And like everything else in life, the cost goes up significantly as you progress up the scale. Going from zero to 50 isn't that expensive. But going from 85 to 90 percent can be very costly.

Upvote 0
I fully appreciate all development has a cost and that nothing is free in life. That goes without saying.
However, when the 6D was released there were aspects that people raised eyebrows about in terms for example of the lack of cross sensors. I was ready to accept that compromise as landscape is my preferred genre. As an alternative view, to have the latest whistles and bells technology is one thing, but additional sealing seems consistently to be down the agenda.
As for cost, the 7Dii is considered to have a higher spec of water resistance (I accept the additional precision of phrasing), but with the technology on board including huge numbers of cross sensors along with digic 6 etc its still has a comparable price point to the 6D.
I am simply putting a plea for additional sealing on the camera, and if that is at the expense of something else, so be it. I would rather have a less well specced camera that still worked in the countryside when the mist comes down.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
calaf_54 said:
I fully appreciate all development has a cost and that nothing is free in life. That goes without saying.
However, when the 6D was released there were aspects that people raised eyebrows about in terms for example of the lack of cross sensors. I was ready to accept that compromise as landscape is my preferred genre. As an alternative view, to have the latest whistles and bells technology is one thing, but additional sealing seems consistently to be down the agenda.
As for cost, the 7Dii is considered to have a higher spec of water resistance (I accept the additional precision of phrasing), but with the technology on board including huge numbers of cross sensors along with digic 6 etc its still has a comparable price point to the 6D.
I am simply putting a plea for additional sealing on the camera, and if that is at the expense of something else, so be it. I would rather have a less well specced camera that still worked in the countryside when the mist comes down.

Since you are new here, perhaps you are unaware that this site is not affiliated with Canon in any way. If you really want to give your opinion (and plea) to Canon, you will have to contact them. Of courses, people who aren't new here and should no better, still whine and complain all the time thinking that they are speaking directly to Canon.

My guess regarding weather sealing is that Canon puts this into there PRO level bodies. The 6D is not considered to be in that category. In my experience, very few non- pros will shoot photos in the rain since they don't have to.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
ahsanford said:
If a 6D# sensor gets higher sensor marks than a 5D# again, 5D4 stills-only folks will wonder what the hell they shelled out their bucks for.

The 5D4 is supposed to comprehensively outperform the 6D2 -- in fps, resolution, AF, etc. and I think the sensor is no exception.
“I was calling Ellie Goulding, and Rita Ora, all these guys, saying, ‘Do you want to sing this line?’ I got nothing.”

Exactly the same complaint was made when the 6D was released after the 5D3. Yet both models went on to become highly successful. Why would Canon, based on experience, believe the same could not happen again?
Also, 6D sensor had better high iso and DR than the 5DIII sensor just as its centre focus point allows it to shoot @ ev -3 after the 5DIII's AF has to give up.

Surely the 6DII can repeat some of this - at least by getting a better sensor than the 5DIV.

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016
Maiaibing said:
" Also, 6D sensor had better high iso and DR than the 5DIII sensor just as its centre focus point allows it to shoot @ ev -3 after the 5DIII's AF has to give up.

Surely the 6DII can repeat some of this - at least by getting a better sensor than the 5DIV."

I hope that is the case. The longer we have to wait, the more likely we are to get newer technology and surprises, IMHO.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Maiaibing said:
Mikehit said:
ahsanford said:
If a 6D# sensor gets higher sensor marks than a 5D# again, 5D4 stills-only folks will wonder what the hell they shelled out their bucks for.

The 5D4 is supposed to comprehensively outperform the 6D2 -- in fps, resolution, AF, etc. and I think the sensor is no exception.
“I was calling Ellie Goulding, and Rita Ora, all these guys, saying, ‘Do you want to sing this line?’ I got nothing.”

Exactly the same complaint was made when the 6D was released after the 5D3. Yet both models went on to become highly successful. Why would Canon, based on experience, believe the same could not happen again?
Also, 6D sensor had better high iso and DR than the 5DIII sensor just as its centre focus point allows it to shoot @ ev -3 after the 5DIII's AF has to give up.

Surely the 6DII can repeat some of this - at least by getting a better sensor than the 5DIV.

I wonder what the reaction would be if the 6DII got the same sensor as the 5DIV. That's not outside the realm of possibility. The 7DI and the 7DII both got the same sensors as the 60D and 70D. It's possible that Canon could decide to differentiate the two based on build quality, autofocus and other features, just as they've done with the 7D and XXD models.

Upvote 0
dak723, thank you for your reply.

Bad phrasing regarding a plea from me rather than a misunderstanding of the Rumors site, so apologies for that.
I see what you mean about the Pro Level bodies and the weather sealing on them.

Having got used to FF on the 6D, as I can be out in all weathers, I do feel the need for better sealing and do look for that in any press releases. I am reluctant to head for the 7Dii, and as a non-Pro, the idea of a 1DXii, unsurprisingly, makes me go weak at the knees.

Re the site, I'll take on board the other points you make and will be a quick learning newbie about site protocols.

Best wishes

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
Josh Denver said:
ok that's it. Canon has decided to keep Canon DSLR sales for photographers, like before the 5d2 period. They obviously see the hybrid concept not as good as having two separate lines for video and photo. I have no idea but I think Canon will lose some serious sales for that decision, because consumers/prosumers buy the DSLR bodies based on Specs and 4K is at front now even if they never use it. And the C100 user is an entirely different user, a smaller market than DSLR shoppers.

6D MKII seems purely for photographers.
Yep, as someone who got into Canon via the 60D, I find it amazing how slowly they've come around to basic concepts of the video market. I own an a7r instead of a 6D because it shoots 1080/60, while handling my other needs (Landscape DR, Astro work, etc) better as well.

I was hoping the 5DIV was a signal that canon was shifting a little, and that we'd get a 6D with 4k and 1080/60 (dont mind the 4k crop), since those are kind of basic at this point for any camera over $1k.

Instead, looks like I'll stick with my GH4 and a7R

Upvote 0
Hello, just signed up.

I use DSLRs for video (and specific types of photography), mainly the Rebel line. I recently switched to Nikon because I got sharper and more DR in my video. At first I regretted this decision because of the terrible design of Nikon, but after I refined my workflow, I now produce better video than I ever did with Canon (but the 80D looks very attractive, but not for 2016/2017).

My thoughts on Canon are as follows:

Back when the DSLR for video making revolution started, a lot of people invested heavily into Canon DSLRs and lenses. How could you not switch to a camera that offered better image quality (especially in low light), at a much lower price point, with more flexibility and allowed you to use a variety of specialty lenses? Yes, there are drawbacks, but they were easily overcome by those who were determined to do so. Canon kept releasing better DSLRs with improved video features and of course Magic Lantern expanded that even further!

But today, when 4K is something that all video makers have either switched to, or are in the process of switching, or will be in the near future (1 or 2 years at most, depends on the region of the world), how can you release a camera that is expected to have a market lifetime of 3 or 4 years without 4K? Does Canon expect to release an updated model to this camera within 1 or 2 years or release another model that might obsolete this camera?

I suppose Canon expects all their video users to move into their Cinema line, but this is unrealistic. Someone who buys a $5,000.00 USD DSLR every 3 or 4 years, is most likely not making enough to invest in a $11,000.00 USD camera in that same time period (unless they're business is growing fast enough that they can justify moving into that line). Raising prices to make this possible is most likely disastrous for anyone's business. In short, it's becoming unsustainable to buy Canon when clients expect 4k footage or 1080p footage from a 4k source (because downscaled footage is usually higher in quality than 1080p source).

Canon video users are a captive client base, but some of them have told me they fully intend to switch to another brand as soon as they have saved up enough. Most likely, when this starts to happen, Canon will catch on and release a whole bunch of new cameras with 4k video. Some people who were thinking about switching will remain, other who switched won't switch back. At the end, Canon's client base shrinks, and they will probably start the process all over again.

As for me, I'm going to save money and see what options we have by the middle of 2017 or 2018.

Upvote 0
emphram said:
Hello, just signed up.

I use DSLRs for video (and specific types of photography), mainly the Rebel line. I recently switched to Nikon because I got sharper and more DR in my video. At first I regretted this decision because of the terrible design of Nikon, but after I refined my workflow, I now produce better video than I ever did with Canon (but the 80D looks very attractive, but not for 2016/2017).

My thoughts on Canon are as follows:

Back when the DSLR for video making revolution started, a lot of people invested heavily into Canon DSLRs and lenses. How could you not switch to a camera that offered better image quality (especially in low light), at a much lower price point, with more flexibility and allowed you to use a variety of specialty lenses? Yes, there are drawbacks, but they were easily overcome by those who were determined to do so. Canon kept releasing better DSLRs with improved video features and of course Magic Lantern expanded that even further!

But today, when 4K is something that all video makers have either switched to, or are in the process of switching, or will be in the near future (1 or 2 years at most, depends on the region of the world), how can you release a camera that is expected to have a market lifetime of 3 or 4 years without 4K? Does Canon expect to release an updated model to this camera within 1 or 2 years or release another model that might obsolete this camera?

I suppose Canon expects all their video users to move into their Cinema line, but this is unrealistic. Someone who buys a $5,000.00 USD DSLR every 3 or 4 years, is most likely not making enough to invest in a $11,000.00 USD camera in that same time period (unless they're business is growing fast enough that they can justify moving into that line). Raising prices to make this possible is most likely disastrous for anyone's business. In short, it's becoming unsustainable to buy Canon when clients expect 4k footage or 1080p footage from a 4k source (because downscaled footage is usually higher in quality than 1080p source).

Canon video users are a captive client base, but some of them have told me they fully intend to switch to another brand as soon as they have saved up enough. Most likely, when this starts to happen, Canon will catch on and release a whole bunch of new cameras with 4k video. Some people who were thinking about switching will remain, other who switched won't switch back. At the end, Canon's client base shrinks, and they will probably start the process all over again.

As for me, I'm going to save money and see what options we have by the middle of 2017 or 2018.

There are many photographs that all have different needs.

Some do stills only
Some do stills and video
Some do video with a side of stills

Some never shoot video in their lives
Some shoot about 5mins of video a year
Some shoot 5mins of video a day

Some (think) they need 4K
Some don't

Personally, I shoot 99.5% of stills and about 5mins of video a year if any. Really couldn't care less if it's 4K or 720p. For video I usually just use my iPhone or maybe my EOS M. Certainly don't need it in a DSLR (where video is an additional feature not the main).

Just how many people are there you think that fit into the category of professional stills and 4K video with an entry level FF camera? Especially one that is kinda known to appeal to landscapers and enthusiasts.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
emphram said:

Canon have caught on. They just don't see the need for 4k in what is primarily a stills line of cameras, and Canon's arguments have some merit: most (and I mean most) people shooting with DSLRs use video as an add-on so are not actually that bothered about video quality beyond 1080. How many actually edit video of any sort beyond clipping time from the shot? How many people have the computer capacity to edit 4k? How many people can actually stream 4k - you certainly can't output it to your TV.

Judging by all the complaints from videographers about how Canon are missing the boat you would expect Sony to to be the best selling camera in the world. It isn't, and I wonder why. Nor is Black Rapid. In fact I see more video from GoPro-type devices than DSLRs.

Upvote 0
Mikehit said:
Canon have caught on. They just don't see the need for 4k in what is primarily a stills line of cameras, and Canon's arguments have some merit: most (and I mean most) people shooting with DSLRs use video as an add-on so are not actually that bothered about video quality beyond 1080. How many actually edit video of any sort beyond clipping time from the shot? How many people have the computer capacity to edit 4k? How many people can actually stream 4k - you certainly can't output it to your TV.

Judging by all the complaints from videographers about how Canon are missing the boat you would expect Sony to to be the best selling camera in the world. It isn't, and I wonder why. Nor is Black Rapid. In fact I see more video from GoPro-type devices than DSLRs.

The fact is Canon have put 4K in both the 5D and 1D series and those are primarily stills lines of cameras, right? Canon have voted with their DSLR camera production that they do care about 4K.

No 4K in the 6D2 is still just a rumor, isn't it, months away from the expected launch? Previous to this there was a rumor of "some sort of 4K". Both the 5D3 and original 6D had the same video capability of 1080p at 30p. Based on Canon's own recent moves trickling down 4K in their DSLR range, I wouldn't count out 4K in the 6D2 just yet.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
benkam said:
Mikehit said:

The fact is Canon have put 4K in both the 5D and 1D series and those are primarily stills lines of cameras, right? Canon have voted with their DSLR camera production that they do care about 4K.

No 4K in the 6D2 is still just a rumor, isn't it, months away from the expected launch? Previous to this there was a rumor of "some sort of 4K". Both the 5D3 and original 6D had the same video capability of 1080p at 30p. Based on Canon's own recent moves trickling down 4K in their DSLR range, I wouldn't count out 4K in the 6D2 just yet.

This again comes down to the thinking behind the 6D2. If the 6D is a bottom-end introduction to FF then they 4k may well be among the things sacrificed to keep cost down. If (as some suggest) they have the 6D2 to plug the gap left by the 5D3 and plan to introduce another model to replace the 6D as introduction to FF it may well have 4k.
I still reckon 4k in a DSLR is still overblown except for some who want 10,000 of functionality in a 5,000 body.

Upvote 0