More Canon EOS M5 Images & Specifications

Nov 1, 2012
lw said:
Does this represent an accurate size comparison between M10 and M5?
Tried to line up the lenses
Based on the specs and everyone comparing it to the 80D, this is the size difference:

2qbzza8.jpg

Rebel SL1 size is 116.8 x 90.7 x 69.4mm
EOS M5 size is 115.6 x 89.2 x 60.6mm

So it is close to SL1's size. Just thinner and a hair smaller all around.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
Here's why I'm interested in this camera.

I'm in the market for a smaller, lighter weight camera (compared to a FF DSLR) - for travel and casual shooting with maybe the occasional use as a backup for the FF when I'm being lazy, which doesn't break the bank, has excellent IQ (24mp APS-C or better), built in flash, can utilize a multi-purpose super-zoom like an 18-135 or greater, and which has a data redundancy scheme of some type (dual cards or at least a solid wireless transfer solution).

Right now, the best choice for me is the Nikon D7200 with 18-200 VR.

The Nikon suits ALL the above requirements, and does so with perhaps the industry's best APS-C sensor. IQ is stunning from that camera rivaling FF in certain situations. However, it isn't as small as I would like it to be, but significantly more compact and lighter than lugging around a FF Canon. The price is right too. An added bonus, but not a requirement - is the long battery life. The size reduction isn't enough overall to be an easy choice, and it's also a Nikon so I have to hold my nose a bit. :)

FUJI is another option, as they have a dual-SD slot camera with a great sensor - but the price is up there for body+ lens. That system is as expensive as FF.

The 80D has a much improved sensor, not on par with Nikon though - but good enough for me. It has superior lens selection at a better price when choosing to use something other than the travel super zoom, but lacks the data protection. Unfortunate, as it adds DPAF which makes it great as a video camera on travel.

Not interested in Sony's cameras as they don't meet the requirements.

That brings in this Canon M5. They are releasing a super zoom. It is small and light. Has the 80D's solid 24mp sensor, but price is unknown as well as what kind of file transfer capability. If it is reasonably priced and has the wireless function - I'm a buyer 100%. C1 & C2 functions is a HUGE win again, bringing that great Canon system goodness. Those are so extremely handy for those that take the time to learn and incorporate into workflow. Being compatible with Canon flash system is also huge. Although, the main use would be travel and the popup flash enough - again, being able to bring that into working space as a backup and having system compatibility is nice perk.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
blackcoffee17 said:
Does anyone know how CIPA battery life is calculated for mirrorless?
It is different from a DSLR where the OVF is using almost no power.

I'd like to know that too. With a DSLR, you usually have bigger batteries and you can shoot with the OVF which is a big advantage over mirrorless in terms of power efficiency.

Btw.; which one draws more energy - EVF or 3" display?

Upvote 0
I think the video gravy train is finished, as this article nicely articulates:

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/08/30/good-while-it-lasted-does-the-canon-5d-mkiv-mark-the-end-of-dslr-video/

I quote:

The slow death of the 5D for video work began the day Canon announced the Cinema EOS C300. From that point onwards, Canon’s strategy was that if you wanted a video camera that used a Super 35mm sensor, had proper XLR audio inputs and SDI in/out then you shouldn’t be buying their 5D. Still, fans of the 5D mkII waited patiently until 2012 for the release of the 5D mkIII. Most users were disappointed by the specifications and were expecting the camera to be a vast improvement on the Mark II, but sadly it wasn’t. What some people forget is that Canon is a business, and businesses are designed to make money. It would have made no sense for Canon to offer features and functionality in the 5D mkIII that were the same as those found in the much more expensive C300 and C100 Cinema EOS cameras.

This gravy train may continue a little while longer from other firms like Sony, but they aren't going to give away high end video features on their stills camera for much longer than Canon either, simply because it makes absolutely no business sense to do so. You can complain all you like but the party is pretty much over on this one. The real wonder is that people are actually surprised by this!

Upvote 0

d

Mar 8, 2015
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
A few things:

1) Great spec list. On paper it looks great, so, for Canon, that probably means it will be pretty great. They tend to deliver on their spec lists.

2) For those concerned about battery - the M3 VASTLY outperforms its rating in real world use. I usually get 600-700 shots on a charge. My hope is that the bigger grips makes room for a slightly higher capacity battery, as both the IS and the DPAF might suck a little extra juice.

Agree regarding battery life of the M3 - I recently returned from a trip and was easily getting 400 - 500+ shots using a combination of EVF and LCD, with a fair bit of chimping.

3) Canon desperately needs to update/replace the existing EF adapter. It worked better on the M/M2 than it does on the M3.

As I have only used the M3 with the EF adaptor, in what respect do you find it's performance inferior to that with the M/M2?

Encouraged that this might build on the good things about the M3 while dealing with the many unfortunate quirks of that camera.

Likewise.

d.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Crosswind said:
blackcoffee17 said:
Does anyone know how CIPA battery life is calculated for mirrorless?
It is different from a DSLR where the OVF is using almost no power.

I'd like to know that too. With a DSLR, you usually have bigger batteries and you can shoot with the OVF which is a big advantage over mirrorless in terms of power efficiency.

Btw.; which one draws more energy - EVF or 3" display?

Sony's been rating CIPA from either EVF or LCD draw. (EVF's draw more power).

canon with the G5X gave both numbers as well.

CIPA is flash 50% of the shots, every 10 shots the camera is turned off and back on again. the kit lens is racked in and out every shot .. I can't remember the rest.

However the tests are the same for mirrorless or not.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
K said:
Without that, this camera is useless to me. I'm not going on an expensive trip and depend on a single SD card to protect my images. I can't just get up and re-travel to different places around the world and recapture the moments and the sights.

Respectfully disagree. All I shoot is a single SD on my 5D3 (burst/buffer/video is a low priority for me) and neither it nor any card I has ever let me down. If it's an expensive / once-in-a-lifetime trip, just bring an external HD, iPad, laptop, etc, and backup what you shoot each day when you get back to the hotel.

Also, is a dual card slot setup a reasonable ask for a (totally guessing) $899-999 camera? In APS-C Mirrorless, Fuji had two slots but those X-Pro 2 and X-T2 rigs cost a great deal more. The Sony a6300 takes two formats but in a single slot if I recall.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ahsanford said:
K said:
Without that, this camera is useless to me. I'm not going on an expensive trip and depend on a single SD card to protect my images. I can't just get up and re-travel to different places around the world and recapture the moments and the sights.

Respectfully disagree. All I shoot is a single SD on my 5D3 (burst/buffer/video is a low priority for me) and neither it nor any card I has ever let me down. If it's an expensive / once-in-a-lifetime trip, just bring an external HD, iPad, laptop, etc, and backup what you shoot each day when you get back to the hotel.

Also, is a dual card slot setup a reasonable ask for a (totally guessing) $899-999 camera? In APS-C Mirrorless, Fuji had two slots but those X-Pro 2 and X-T2 rigs cost a great deal more. The Sony a6300 takes two formats but in a single slot if I recall.

- A

to be honest .. people should be numbering their SD cards and rotating them.

just like SSD's .. there's wear leveling built into SD cards, however there is only a finite amount of times you can write to them (like SSD's) before they fail.

a good rotation strategy and more than 1 SD card in your inventory that you use can go a long way to preventing any issues.

Upvote 0
I shoot video and stills for skydiving, recreationally. When I bought a Sony AX-33, all the gear heads were drooling. Pretty much all the rest of my friends asked me why I added that much weight to the top of my head. So that's about 5 that were all about the 4k, and 15 that wondered why I wanted it. Those 15 are the consumers that aren't getting a 4k TV until their current FHD TV bites the dust. I still don't have a 4k TV or monitor, and only output in 1080, but I prefer the video - even from the same camera - that is shot at 4k over 1080 I love having 4k.

I also have a GoPro that I do 1080p120 that turns out really nice slowmo, even if I have to add stabilization in post.

But my SL1? I use that only for stills. That's all I want from it. I'll probably upgrade to this for the extra FPS alone. Everything I choose is graded on performance/weight/cost. This looks to be the best for my needs. I'd already be on an M3 if it had a remote release for my bite switch, so I'm happy to see the last hurdle removed.

Upvote 0
njene said:
Snzkgb said:
Now this IS looking the thing I want as a backup for my 5d2 and everyday camera.
There are two questions I have:
1) How much it will cost
2) When it will start shipping

We are in the same camp

I love my 5d m2 and plan to keep working with it, but the m5 looks like it moght fit the bill to be an easy, carry around camera as backup or more relaxed shooting when out and about
Exactly. I want a camera that I can bring with me everyday, and I can't do that with 5d2 + 16-35 L, 24-70L, 70-200L each of them being F/2.8.
If EOS M5 will cost ~1000$, than I'll definately buy it.

Upvote 0
K said:
Who wants to do pro-level 4K videography on a small mirrorless camera anyway? Are these concerns even serious, or is this trolling? I don't get it.

It is not only what people want, they are expecting 4K. Look at all the other small mirrorless cameras released this year from Sony, Fujifilm, and Panasonic. Just look at the bestsellers at BH in mirrorless.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
Meatcurry said:
lw said:
Woody said:
douglaurent said:
How cool is that. A 2017 camera model with 1080p video. Go Canon! Because who needs more than 2 megapixels?

Errr... how many people have 4K TV at home?

Deja vu... Roll back just 10 years to when HD was introduced and the cry was "how many people have a HD TV at home?"

3 or 4 years later and you couldn't buy an SD TV anymore.

The same is happening again. Walk in to any TV retailer and its wall to wall 4K and they are no more expensive than good HD sets were last year.

3 or 4 years from now, 4K will be as ubiquitous as HD was. The same pattern will be followed.

Plenty of 4K content here in the UK including live sport like football and F1 www.sky.com/shop/tv/uhd/

Whilst you're not wrong regarding the availability of 4K TVs, I don't think that sales are in the same league as they were when we moved to HD, just because all TVs for sale now are 4K doesn't translate into everyone has a 4K TV. Also the price of subscribing to Sky in general puts 4K content in the luxury bracket. Canon has a good grasp on what the market actually wants and frankly my guess is that 4K video is low on the list right now.

4K is overrated for the time being.

Here's why - like you've said, most people don't have 4K TV's and here in the USA, I would guesstimate that 1/3 or more of new TV sales are still 1080. When I walk the stores, there are still many 1080 selections and they still have to mark the 4K TV's with a sign saying they are 4K.

Now, when will everyone get 4K? I think sooner than later. This isn't because of a need, but because the reliability of these electronics is pitiful these days. Very cheap and poor components goes into these, and people are having to replace 3-5 year cycle. That and at least in the US, there's that desire to have the latest and greatest even though it doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter because there's almost no 4K content available yet. In fact, when it comes to cable packages - they aren't close to getting full 1080 content, heck, there's a lot of stuff that isn't even 720.

So, let us assume for a moment that finally - all TV channels are 1080 finally once and for all. Are they really 1080? They are in RESOLUTION, but not in QUALITY. There's a lot of compression and processing going on - and none of the on-air or cable stuff is true 1080 high def quality as you would get with say a Bluray video or PC video mastered at top quality.

That said....

Watching a 1080 video at it's absolute best potential is pretty amazing, many years after this became the "standard" ...and I believe more than satisfies the vast majority of end users.

Thus, people are really limited to professionally shot and produced content delivered to their TV via Blueray or PC to be able to take any advantage. A 4K GoPro does not count. These lower level video recording devices, including most DSLR and mirrorless are not capturing the quality necessary to take full advantage. They are recording to that resolution, but not to the quality level that resolution is capable of.

That explains my hostility toward all this 4K stuff in these forums. It's pointless to some extent. Unless you buy high end professional video gear, use the best lenses, use professional technique and support equipment - the end result will look like ass. Sorry for the crude expression, but 8K wouldn't help one bit if not shot to the capability of the format.

Why are people paying top dollar for access to something that doesn't exist?

The TV's in the stores look amazing, because they are looping a promotional video shot in 4K with the best possible production. Then consumers take the TV home to watch highly compressed 1080 cable or netflix, and an occasional Bluray.

By the time enough real 4K comes around, the TV's will have dropped in price - or there will be much newer models with superior LED technology.

In short, to maximize 4K capability requires professional production. Whether people like to hear it or not - that's the facts. It's the same situation with high resolution DSLR. The 5DSR, to really take advantage of it for stills requires proper technique. Running and gunning with it diminishes its max potential quite a bit. Same with medium format. For video, the quality is so high now - that for the first time a threshold has been reached where higher production standards are necessary to take advantage. It's not like the VHS days where perfect technique could be overlooked because the format just couldn't capture the quality and detail.

This is why 4K isn't a big deal in DSLR or Mirrorless cameras. Canon, being a PRACTICAL company - knows this. But marketing hype and consumer craze and drive is not practical thinking. It just wants numbers.

Want great 4K? Canon offers it in the proper place - within their professional line ups, where you could actually make use of it to deliver.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
njene said:
Snzkgb said:
Now this IS looking the thing I want as a backup for my 5d2 and everyday camera.
There are two questions I have:
1) How much it will cost
2) When it will start shipping

We are in the same camp

I love my 5d m2 and plan to keep working with it, but the m5 looks like it moght fit the bill to be an easy, carry around camera as backup or more relaxed shooting when out and about

get a 11-22 EF-M and the 18-150 EF-M and basically you have a 18-250mm lightweight APS-C ILC that is around 1kg in total travel weight.

Upvote 0