More Full Frame Mirrorless Talk, Maybe Some Surprises? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
7,719
354
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We seem to be getting information from new places every week now, so please <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/the-canon-rumors-rating-system-explained/">mind the ratings</a> you’re seeing on our most recent posts. However, there are times [CR1] rumors turn out to have some truth to them.</p>
<p><strong>About a new Canon mirrorless:</strong></p>
<ol>
<li>We’re told that a full frame mirrorless will be coming in September.</li>
<li>Canon’s new mirrorless will <strong>NOT</strong> be part of the EOS system, the focus will be on video.</li>
<li>Think EOS 5D Mark IV, but mirrorless.</li>
<li>4K @ 30/25/24 FPS</li>
<li>Codename begins with Z</li>
</ol>
<p><strong>Other Information:</strong></p>
<ol>
<li>New mirrorless lens at Photokina (EF-M 32mm f/1.4?)</li>
<li>New Cinema EOS body coming before Photokina</li>
</ol>
<p>There’s always the possibility that there are multiple cameras are being developed concurrently, and that the above information only covers one of them.</p>
<p>Take this stuff with a grain of salt, but I find some intriguing ideas above that may fit with more cryptic information we’ve received over the last month or so.</p>
<p><em>More to come…</em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>
 

gcl

Feb 5, 2018
4
7
United States
riker said:
To think of 5d4 mirrorless, but NOT part of EOS - now THAT is going to be a challenging task. wtf.
Exactly what I was thinking - how do you reconcile that it will be like a mirrorless 5dIV but not part of the EOS system?
 

sanj

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 22, 2012
3,202
74
Why make a DSLR form factor with focus on video??? Such form factor cameras are for photography first....
 

Etienne

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 19, 2010
1,359
155
Ottawa Ontario
sanj said:
Why make a DSLR form factor with focus on video??? Such form factor cameras are for photography first....
Whats not to like: Interchangeable lens video camera in a much smaller package. Does both photos and videos well and easily. One camera to do it all reasonably well... Sounds great to me
 

melgross

EOS 7D MK II
Nov 2, 2016
407
217
This opens more questions than it closes. First of all, the 5DmkIV is the guess of this site, right? Secondly, how would this concentrate on video, but not do 4K at 60fps? That’s a real lack.

And no EOS mount, well, we were just discussing that. So is this Canon’s Video mount instead, since it’s more for video? And is the lens mentioned for this, or for their M series, which it seems to be with the M as part of the name?

We’re certainly not expecting the M series mount for full frame.
 

Normalnorm

EOS 7D MK II
Dec 25, 2012
526
134
If the code name is "Z" and it is video centric, then an extension of the XC-15 concept seems to be the most likely.

IOW not at all interesting for me.
 

tmroper

EOS 80D
Sep 22, 2016
148
52
Canon's video cameras are already mirrorless, and "thinking 5D MK IV" and video only brings to mind the reflex mirror. So none of this makes much sense. Maybe it's more like, think of a Canon C100, but with a full frame sensor and a different form factor?
 

jolyonralph

Kodak Brownie
Aug 25, 2015
1,098
310
50
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Also, be certain that during the run-up to launch we're going to see a LOT of misinformation about these cameras spread online.

Some might be deliberate misinformation leaked by Canon in order to either control expectation or to deceive competitors.

Some may be simple wishful thinking on behalf of internet fans.

Some may simply be some grain of truth that's been allowed to ferment into a weak beer of wrong assumptions.
 

transpo1

EOS 7D MK II
Jan 12, 2011
747
95
tmroper said:
Canon's video cameras are already mirrorless, and "thinking 5D MK IV" and video only brings to mind the reflex mirror. So none of this makes much sense. Maybe it's more like, think of a Canon C100, but with a full frame sensor and a different form factor?
If true, this is a FF mirrorless HYBRID camera for video AND stills, which is why it may be a still camera form factor. And it is long overdue.

I will say 4K 60p is needed to be successful against the GH5/s family so hope they include that but literally any hybrid camera that shoots great stills AND great 4K video (no crop, Canon, not hobbled in any way) is most welcome.

A lot of the photography guys will kick and scream because it's not for them- it's for a different market- and again, if true, Canon has finally caught up in their market research and realized that they need to serve this market.
 

dak723

EOS 6D MK II
Oct 26, 2013
1,141
434
jolyonralph said:
melgross said:
We’re certainly not expecting the M series mount for full frame.
Not sure who the "we" is of which you speak, but I think a good % of those who have been paying attention here are expecting exactly that.
Has anyone actually confirmed that an FF sensor can be used with the M mount? All the initial speculation when the M series was launched was that you could not get a big enough image circle for an FF sized sensor on an M camera. Knowing the answer to that question seems to be important for all further speculation.
 

andrei1989

EOS RP
Sep 1, 2014
377
59
30
dak723 said:
Has anyone actually confirmed that an FF sensor can be used with the M mount? All the initial speculation when the M series was launched was that you could not get a big enough image circle for an FF sized sensor on an M camera. Knowing the answer to that question seems to be important for all further speculation.
to "actually confirm" would mean that someone should sacrifice an M camera and a FF DSLR to rip the sensor from the latter and glue it into the former
the EF-M mount diameter (47mm) is similar to the sony FE mount diameter (46.1), and they put a FF sensor there last i checked
 

Kit.

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 25, 2011
1,357
746
dak723 said:
jolyonralph said:
melgross said:
We’re certainly not expecting the M series mount for full frame.
Not sure who the "we" is of which you speak, but I think a good % of those who have been paying attention here are expecting exactly that.
Has anyone actually confirmed that an FF sensor can be used with the M mount? All the initial speculation when the M series was launched was that you could not get a big enough image circle for an FF sized sensor on an M camera. Knowing the answer to that question seems to be important for all further speculation.
Is it technically possible to make at least some FF lens for EF-M mount? Yes, there were some FF mounts with a much smaller opening than this one during the film rangefinder era. One of them was an one inch screw mount.

Is it technically possible to use most of the existing EF lenses with not much vignetting in the corners? Very likely, although probably not with the current EF - EF-M converters. Leica M is a slightly narrower mount, but it was still wide enough to have a 50/0.95 lens.

Will the lens adapter needed for EF to EF-M to FF sensor configuration be sturdy and durable enough for field work with heavy long telephoto lenses? That's something that probably needs extensive testing.
 

fullstop

EOS 6D MK II
Apr 23, 2018
1,088
153
-pekr- said:
If that's not belonging into EOS line, then it's just maybe something like XC15 with interchangeable lens.
exactly. FF sensored XC-## with EF mount. Video-centric. Not of any interest to vast majority of market. move on, nothing to see.