More Images of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

MagnumJoe said:
Etienne said:
Woody said:
MagnumJoe said:
The 5D MK III had so much more detail and much sharper than the 70D.

Should not come as a surprise. Even low quality lenses like the 17-40 shine on the 5D3/6D but appear very bad when mounted on APS-C cameras. It's just a matter of pixel density.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=687&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Woody, I agree with you, I should have known. Here are the photos I was referring to.

The top photo is focussed in front of the seated people. Look at the grass out front. I'd say it's front focussed by a couple of feet, leaving the subjects a little out of focus in behind

Upvote 0

MagnumJoe

5D MK III
Dec 19, 2012
Etienne said:
MagnumJoe said:
Etienne said:
Woody said:
MagnumJoe said:

Should not come as a surprise. Even low quality lenses like the 17-40 shine on the 5D3/6D but appear very bad when mounted on APS-C cameras. It's just a matter of pixel density.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?

Lens=687&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=687&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Woody, I agree with you, I should have known. Here are the photos I was referring to.

The top photo is focussed in front of the seated people. Look at the grass out front. I'd say it's front focussed by a couple of feet, leaving the subjects a little out of focus in behind

Hi Etienne, I respect your attention to detail, but that is just not the case, I simply changed cameras and focused on my daughter and cropped it.

Upvote 0
Etienne said:
MagnumJoe said:
Etienne said:
Woody said:
MagnumJoe said:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=687&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=687&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

It looks like this to me as well. The lens looks like it got front focused here. The grass out in front looks pretty detailed.

Upvote 0
sdfreeland said:
[/quote]

[/quote]

It looks like this to me as well. The lens looks like it got front focused here. The grass out in front looks pretty detailed.
[/quote]

Also agree that front focused.
It seems to be a characteristic of the 7D that 'one shot' AF will not refocus if the Digic processor considers the current focus setting is within tolerance. In practise this means that if you focused for a previous shot & the current shot is at a slightly different distance, the half shutter button press may not give you a new focus setting. I find moving off subject, focusing, (or manually changing focus) then coming back to subject will give a new precise AF focus.
I am hoping this has been addressed in 7D2.

Upvote 0

LovePhotography

Texas Not Taxes.
Aug 24, 2014
AccipiterQ said:
drmikeinpdx said:
Just small incremental upgrades. Not much to show for all the years of development if you ask me. I'll skip the mark II, thank you.

I'm really torn. One group that I talk to is saying that the 70D was only a marginal upgrade over the T2i (that I currently use). They're also saying the 7Dii is going to probably only be a marginal upgrade as well. I bought the T2i years ago when I was first learning how to shoot. But there's a lot of people on this forum saying the image quality would be massively improved over the T2i if I switched to the ii.

I'm photographing mainly wildlife, about 85% of what I photograph is birds, smallish ones. In actuality I'm only using the center focus point probably 90% of the time as well, since I'm good at getting in the range of my 400mm, and it's close enough that the center point covers most of the bird.

May skip the ii, and maybe go to a 5diii or 6d or something, since I'm not hurting for reach in the least.

get a 6d

Upvote 0
adamfilip said:
Wow Canon really outdid themselves this time. the industrial design and style are awesome a huge departure from previous generations.. I sure am glad they are not remaining stagnant

::)

It looks like we have a victim of the "I've been waiting 5 years, therefore it should look like a camera embodying a magical dragon that farts unicorns". I won't deny, I thought the same kind of thing when I first saw it, but then I remembered, leave what works, upgrade the FPS, sensor tech, AF and possibly video features. That's all the 7d II was ever going to be.

Upvote 0
aclectasis said:
adamfilip said:
Wow Canon really outdid themselves this time. the industrial design and style are awesome a huge departure from previous generations.. I sure am glad they are not remaining stagnant

It looks like we have a victim of the "I've been waiting 5 years, therefore it should look like a camera embodying a magical dragon that farts unicorns". I won't deny, I thought the same kind of thing when I first saw it, but then I remembered, leave what works, upgrade the FPS, sensor tech, AF and possibly video features. That's all the 7d II was ever going to be.
Hi,
That's what camera upgrade is all about... What do you expect?? Make coffee??

Hmm... just wonder what the usage for "Can sync time between 7D II cameras"?? For synchronize shooting?? ??? Anyway, since 7D2 got GPS, you can turn on the GPS and both camera will auto sync to the GPS, so why need this feature... hmm... unless your camera are always indoor...

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
weixing said:
aclectasis said:
adamfilip said:

Hi,
That's what camera upgrade is all about... What do you expect?? Make coffee??

Hmm... just wonder what the usage for "Can sync time between 7D II cameras"?? For synchronize shooting?? ??? Anyway, since 7D2 got GPS, you can turn on the GPS and both camera will auto sync to the GPS, so why need this feature... hmm... unless your camera are always indoor...

Have a nice day.

There are a couple of uses for synchronized time source. Allows multiple photographers to work an area and then all of the shots can be sorted in shot order. Very usefully during a sports event.

The other use would be video time sync. The spec rumor didn't mention what kind of time is being synched. However in doing so for video, it allows for seamless frame transitions when editing or switching video particularly during live editing. This is probably a spec that is better suited for a cinema camera. However I wouldnt put it past them to add this now so us schmos can test the tech behind it.

Or as neuro stated early just a teaser to get everyone to buy a wireless transmitter for each camera.

Upvote 0
Canon1 said:
RodS57 said:
Thanks for the info. Right now, the 7D2 is the only camera on my radar with a CF slot. If I remember correctly the 6D uses SD cards as do my other options.

Every once and a while SanDisk, et al, have crazy deals on cards, so I wouldn't consider the fact that you already have SD cards as a factor for whether you get a 7D2 versus something else... (Not that you said you were...)

Rumored spec says both CF and SD. Just like the 5D3.

Upvote 0
MagnumJoe said:
Etienne said:
MagnumJoe said:
Etienne said:
Woody said:
MagnumJoe said:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?

Lens=687&Camera=736&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=687&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

Hi Etienne, I respect your attention to detail, but that is just not the case, I simply changed cameras and focused on my daughter and cropped it.

Just look at the fence, it is so much more out of focus in the top photo then in the bottom. Either you used different aperture or the focus point was not the same location.

Upvote 0
Canon1 said:
RodS57 said:
Thanks for the info. Right now, the 7D2 is the only camera on my radar with a CF slot. If I remember correctly the 6D uses SD cards as do my other options.

Every once and a while SanDisk, et al, have crazy deals on cards, so I wouldn't consider the fact that you already have SD cards as a factor for whether you get a 7D2 versus something else... (Not that you said you were...)

Card type is not a factor in the purchase decision but it would be nice to be able to use the cards I have instead of tossing them in the junk drawer. Of course they can still b used in my current camera.

Upvote 0
Looks almost identical to the 5DM3 body ... most buttons in the same place (small variations) which means easy to learn and great to use together. A 5DM3 and 7D2 ... ahhhhhh, what a kit? Will shoot just about anything anywhere within range, and with limited confusion for the fingers.

Even if the sensor is similar (or identical) to the 70D, the remaining features and spec's still improve the camera, and the idea that it resembles the 5DM3 is a good idea as well.

Lots of 'disappointment' posted on here, but not in my camp. I'd expect if this camera 'improved' as much as some seem to think it should, then the price point would be more near the $3000 figure than the $1800 figure.
Canon aimed at the 7D crop market with it, and priced it to fit there. Anyone wants more than this 7D2 (?), should just go up to the 5DM3 and spend the $3000 it requires. Otherwise, this fits just fine in the niche for which it was built.

Personally, I'm not a tech genius, and have problems even defining the "greatness" of a specific technology, but I am a photographer and use the tools Canon builds to create the best images I can - and don't worry about what Canon didn't build, and use what it did build to create those images - instead of sitting at home wondering why it's not better. The specs look fine to me, and I'm betting we get a nice surprise when this camera starts showing us what it will produce in the field instead of what it looks like on paper.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
monkey44 said:
Looks almost identical to the 5DM3 body ... most buttons in the same place (small variations) which means easy to learn and great to use together.
Lots of 'disappointment' posted on here, but not in my camp. I'd expect if this camera 'improved' as much as some seem to think it should, then the price point would be more near the $3000 figure than the $1800 figure.
Canon aimed at the 7D crop market with it, and priced it to fit there. Anyone wants more than this 7D2 (?), should just go up to the 5DM3 and spend the $3000 it requires. Otherwise, this fits just fine in the niche for which it was built.

Personally, I'm not a tech genius, and have problems even defining the "greatness" of a specific technology, but I am a photographer and use the tools Canon builds to create the best images I can - and don't worry about what Canon didn't build, and use what it did build to create those images - instead of sitting at home wondering why it's not better. The specs look fine to me, and I'm betting we get a nice surprise when this camera starts showing us what it will produce in the field instead of what it looks like on paper.

I fully agree that it is a good thing Canon keeps the user interface among their DSLRs for similar target groups as similar as possible and that the 7D II/5D III is a rather good user interface overall .

I do not agree, that "we basically sholuld just shut up and take whatever Canon decides to put in fron of us" and "in the field it will perform much better than on paper".

There are a number of specs on paper that you can tell from just looking at them, that it will cause problems in the field any time you encounter a specific shooting situation or task. Lack of WiFi for example ... is just a pain, when one could be controlling their camera easily from their smartphone in situations were this would be beneficial. This will NOT improve with use in the field or proven to be not relevant. It is a PITA on paper and it is an even bigger PITA in the field. Unless one never encounters such situations.

Of course at the end of the day we have to capture images using the gear we get ... but there is no excuse for Canon to not equip our gear as best as possible - especially when we are talking low cost items like a WiFi chip (to stick with this as an example) and/or mere firmware issues ... like a truly useful, fully competent AUto-ISO function which also allows compensation correction in M mode for instance. No word on that front, btw as far as the 7D II is concerned.

There is a hige amount of marketing differntiation and crippling and milking of clients going on and we have every right to call out Canon for doing this to us.

Upvote 0
The original link (first post) says

- RGB + IR photometry sensor of new 150000 pixels

If IR photometry means that the sensor can decide between warmer and colder subjects - the 7D ii might be THE system for tracking living creatures by their thermal emissions ...

Cannot work like a IR (thermo) camera because the lenses do not transmit these wavelengths but perhaps it is sufficient to scan the near infrared for that purpose to get a hint where a "warmer" subject is.

Evaluating 150000 pixels for 4 colors and combining the data with a 65 field cross type AF sensor will use up the computing power of one DIGIC 6 I think ... now I understand why they have two of these processors.

This camera is more and more interesting IMO - not only by specs but by the clean and well known button layout - just for someone who owns a 40D and hates the ergonomics of the 600D (despite its good IQ).

Upvote 0