More Images of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

Jul 21, 2010
talicoa said:
There are no detents for actual locations. This is more of an analog switch. Can you say Servo AF? That would be a nice addition. I can't see where else they would do it.

No detents needed. There are no markings, either...I don't think it's a 'switch' like the Live View/Movie switch above. If it was a 3-position switch for AF mode (I'm sure the 7DII will have One Shot, AI Focus and AI Servo) they'd mark it. Rather, I think it's a lever (uni- or bi-directional, probably the former). You push the lever to go from auto pt selection to zone, push it again to go from zone to single, etc. Makes it easy to get the selection mode then the zone/point you want, since those controls are stacked.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
talicoa said:
There are no detents for actual locations. This is more of an analog switch. Can you say Servo AF? That would be a nice addition. I can't see where else they would do it.

No detents needed. There are no markings, either...I don't think it's a 'switch' like the Live View/Movie switch above. If it was a 3-position switch for AF mode (I'm sure the 7DII will have One Shot, AI Focus and AI Servo) they'd mark it. Rather, I think it's a lever (uni- or bi-directional, probably the former). You push the lever to go from auto pt selection to zone, push it again to go from zone to single, etc. Makes it easy to get the selection mode then the zone/point you want, since those controls are stacked.
What about bi-directional, to drive that mysterious "Lens electronic MF"? It must be somewhere, either that lever or on the wheel.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
pierlux said:
What about bi-directional, to drive that mysterious "Lens electronic MF"? It must be somewhere, either that lever or on the wheel.

"Lens electronic MF" isn't mysterious at all. It's merely a C.Fn setting that allows you to use the camera's menu to disable electronic MF on lenses which have it (STM lenses, the 85L, some old pre-IS superteles, and a couple others). The 1D X and 5DIII already have that 'feature'.

Upvote 0
The more I think about it, the more I feel talicoa is right, an electronic manual focus control is better on that lever than on the wheel, ergonomically.

And, neuro, yes I know it's a 1DX & 5D3 feature, and I remember your previous posts, but I was referring to the rumored specs which cite this function unlike the other cameras, so maybe no longer a C.Fn setting but a hard button function. I agree I shouldn't have defined it mysterious, though.

I have a question for the expert guys: is it possible that, with a dedicated hard control, all the EF lenses with AF could benefit of "on camera manual focus" in addition to those selected few lenses with STM and focus by wire?

Upvote 0
This is not a troll attempt, i really would like to hear people's thoughts on the upcoming 7D Mark II when put up against the new Nikon D750. It seems the 7D Mark II will use an improved 70D sensor and the D750 uses an improved version of the D610 sensor. I realize this is an APS-C camera versus a Full Frame camera but the D750 has an APS crop mode that you can use which would mean you basically have two cameras in one. The DxOMark ratings for the D610 versus the 70D are drastically different with the D610 ranking a 94 and the 70D ranking at 68
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D610-versus-Canon-EOS-70D___915_895
- this disparity is bound to remain in the two new models given their base technologies as mentioned. Besides the obvious boost that the 7D Mark II will have over the D750 in terms of fps and the phase detect for video use, what other reasons are there for choosing the 7D Mark II over the full frame D750? The pricing will not be so different as the D750 is at $2,299 and the 7D MK II is expected to come in at ~$2K.

Thoughts anyone?

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
7DMarkIV said:
This is not a troll attempt, i really would like to hear people's thoughts on the upcoming 7D Mark II when put up against the new Nikon D750. It seems the 7D Mark II will use an improved 70D sensor and the D750 uses an improved version of the D610 sensor. I realize this is an APS-C camera versus a Full Frame camera but the D750 has an APS crop mode that you can use which would mean you basically have two cameras in one. The DxOMark ratings for the D610 versus the 70D are drastically different with the D610 ranking a 94 and the 70D ranking at 68
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D610-versus-Canon-EOS-70D___915_895
- this disparity is bound to remain in the two new models given their base technologies as mentioned. Besides the obvious boost that the 7D Mark II will have over the D750 in terms of fps and the phase detect for video use, what other reasons are there for choosing the 7D Mark II over the full frame D750? The pricing will not be so different as the D750 is at $2,299 and the 7D MK II is expected to come in at ~$2K.

Thoughts anyone?

The crop mode of the 750 just uses the central 10 megapixels of the sensor and gives no extra reach over the FF - it just gives a narrower field of view. The 750 crop mode will give poorer resolution than the 20.2 mp of the 7DII or 70D and is a waste of time for bird photographers etc who use high mp crops to get some extra range.

Upvote 0
kdw75 said:
Last year, I wanted this camera so bad, I couldn't wait. After getting my first full frame camera,6D, I honestly have no interest in going back to a crop sensor camera. My 7D has been relegated to a backup camera that my wife uses.

I still have crops (the 70D being the newest), but the IQ is worth about $1k, tops. That said, IMHO, you'll get better results working with a gimped entry-level FF than a 1.6x with all the trimmings.

Upvote 0
Possibly I'm wrong, but now I'm thinking that "lens electronic MF" has nothing to do with the C.Fn which disables electronic MF. Otherwise why mention it in a spec list which highlights the most relevant features?

I remember old rumors suggesting that the 7D2 would be geared for video, but the current opinion is that it's not, rather it's a perfect wildlife-sports camera for stills.

Well, if Canon implemented the possibility to manually control the lens' focus "on camera" without touching the focus ring, that would definitely be a nice video feature. And, as suggested by neuro, that 4-way function could be used for silently changing aperture etc. I would definitely say these features, if real, are perfect for video.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
pierlux said:
The more I think about it, the more I feel talicoa is right, an electronic manual focus control is better on that lever than on the wheel, ergonomically.

And, neuro, yes I know it's a 1DX & 5D3 feature, and I remember your previous posts, but I was referring to the rumored specs which cite this function unlike the other cameras, so maybe no longer a C.Fn setting but a hard button function. I agree I shouldn't have defined it mysterious, though.

I have a question for the expert guys: is it possible that, with a dedicated hard control, all the EF lenses with AF could benefit of "on camera manual focus" in addition to those selected few lenses with STM and focus by wire?

Yes, it's possible. It can work like that when you're tethered. But the rumor to which you refer was really just a wild (incorrect) guess based on the name of the setting and what someone thought it meant. Sorry to disappoint.

Upvote 0
I'd been waiting to upgrade from my 40D & was all set to go for the 70D but was put off by the widely reported focus problems with fast lenses; if the 7D MkII has the same dual pixel sensor I hope it doesn't have the same focus issues that some people noticed with the 70D.

I even tried the full-frame route via a 6D/24-105L combination but perhaps I had a poor copy of the lens but the IQ was no better than my 40D/17-40L set up, in fact at the wide end, corner 'sharpness' was appalling with the 24-105.

As I stop-gap I went for a 100D (SL1) body which produces very good IQ with the 17-40L & is very nice if you don't want to carry a big camera around. Also got the GPE-2 to geotag my images.

The 7DmkII looks nice: I like the joystick, built in GPS, dual CF & SD card slots & Digic 6 processors. However, other than speed, will the IQ be much/any better than the 70D which also has built in WiFi & articulating screen?

I think the price is going to be a determining factor...

Upvote 0