More Images of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

I'm really happy to see this and the 5D3 similarities!

As others have said, +1 as my new wildlife cam to complement my 5D3 all-rounder. Wide stays on the latter now, and telephoto on 7D2. Perfect. Assuming no pricing insanity, which seems unlikely in the current market and recent tends.

And the if new battery may be back-compatible to use my existing LP-E6s, that is fantastic!

My original 7D will be for sale. Thank you old friend, but we're done now. Poor thing has not been turned on for a year or more. Welcome, 7D2! :D

Upvote 0
The children in the design department at Canon do stupid things and this time they did exactly what I feared... they removed the zoom +/- from the right side just like they did in the 5D II... HOW STUPID IS THAT? Having to reach to the other side of the camera to review a picture is pure stupidity when you use the big lenses like 500mm f4 etc. I hope the lever by the joystick is going to do just that.

The question is ... why remove something useful that did not imply extra buttons etc? They should let you chose any function for any button and that would solve the problem in a way.

The other improvement I hope for is the AUTO ISO function with ISO bracketing plus the multiple exposures.

And by the way... a grip with a joystick ... is that too much to ask?

Cheers

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2011
Have you thought about a battery pack/power bar for recharging over the day, independent from sunshine? Used this during trekking in the Himalaya, and I could easily recharge a G13 battery for 5 times without using up more than 60% of the battery pack capacity (Anker, 13000mAh). You can also charge you smartphone, and other devicesand recharge the power bar over night. Btw. might the 3 (or 4) batteries not be enough for a whole day?

Upvote 0
yodani said:
The children in the design department at Canon do stupid things and this time they did exactly what I feared... they removed the zoom +/- from the right side just like they did in the 5D II... HOW STUPID IS THAT? Having to reach to the other side of the camera to review a picture is pure stupidity when you use the big lenses like 500mm f4 etc. I hope the lever by the joystick is going to do just that.

The question is ... why remove something useful that did not imply extra buttons etc? They should let you chose any function for any button and that would solve the problem in a way.

The other improvement I hope for is the AUTO ISO function with ISO bracketing plus the multiple exposures.

Cheers

Take a deep breath and relax!!! :). I just set the "Set" button to 100% mag, and voila, everything is done with the right hand :)

Upvote 0
I am looking at Canon 7D MKII specs and I am quite surprised that Canon who is a leader in image making made such a poor job. The reasoning is as follows:

1) MKII version is released after 5 years!!!! This is extremely long period of time for technology makers.
2) 7D at release date was the best APS-C camera which was using breaktrough technology, however, looking at current 7D MkII specs I do not see any INOVATIONS.
3) Looking at current 7D MK II specs I see very little effort from Canon side:
a) Practically the same body design - no efforts in this area. I like this design but I am a bit surprised that Canon goes such way
b) 2 DIGIC 6 processors - it is very simple to replace DIGIC 4 processors with current DIGIC 6 processors. Absolutely no efforts required. I would have expected DIGIC 7 processors. Of course dual DIGIC 6 will bu much better than older processors.
c) AF technology form 1DX and dual pixel technology - no efforts from Canon side. They just simply included very good autofocus in this camera. I expected a bit more from them.
4) Sensor - everybody expected to see a new technology in this area, which would put Canon and Nikon sensors on the same plate. Now it is very big disappointment from Canon side.

By all means, the new 7D MkII will be extremely good camera with much better autofocus, better battery, GPS (personnaly GPS and WiFi are not needed features for me but RT technology would be useful). Canon could release such camera at least 2-3 years ago as we see that it just implemented a current technology in this camera but it lacks innovations which we see especially in Sony.

Will I buy this camera? Definitely not :) That's because my current 7D is very good camera, I am happy with AF abilities (mainly shoot weddings and studio) and have intentions to buy FF camera (5D MKIII or MK IV) :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
yodani said:
The children in the design department at Canon do stupid things and this time they did exactly what I feared... they removed the zoom +/- from the right side just like they did in the 5D II... HOW STUPID IS THAT? Having to reach to the other side of the camera to review a picture is pure stupidity when you use the big lenses like 500mm f4 etc.

The 1D X doesn't have them, either. However, on the 1D X (and very likely on the 7DII), you can assign the Set button to zoom to 100% at the AF point with one press, and then the main dial zooms in and out. I find that far more convenient than using a pair of buttons to zoom.

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Don Haines said:
AccipiterQ said:
drmikeinpdx said:
Just small incremental upgrades. Not much to show for all the years of development if you ask me. I'll skip the mark II, thank you.

I'm really torn. One group that I talk to is saying that the 70D was only a marginal upgrade over the T2i (that I currently use). They're also saying the 7Dii is going to probably only be a marginal upgrade as well. I bought the T2i years ago when I was first learning how to shoot. But there's a lot of people on this forum saying the image quality would be massively improved over the T2i if I switched to the ii.

I'm photographing mainly wildlife, about 85% of what I photograph is birds, smallish ones. In actuality I'm only using the center focus point probably 90% of the time as well, since I'm good at getting in the range of my 400mm, and it's close enough that the center point covers most of the bird.

May skip the ii, and maybe go to a 5diii or 6d or something, since I'm not hurting for reach in the least.

The truth is usually somewhere in the middle. You will see an improvement in image quality with the 70D, it will definitely be noticeable, but it will not be earthshaking.... but the user interface is drastically different and according to those who have gotten used to it, much better.

As far as AF goes, yes, the 70D has far better autofocus, but if you just use the center point you will miss most of the advantages. What you will see is that the AF on that center point is more accurate and of course, if you go into live view, the DPAF is a huge improvement..

As far as the 7D2, nobody knows..... until people get their hands on it, you are just hearing guesses and opinions based on rumours and startlingly devoid of facts.

great post, thanks!

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
7DMarkIV said:
This is not a troll attempt, i really would like to hear people's thoughts on the upcoming 7D Mark II when put up against the new Nikon D750. It seems the 7D Mark II will use an improved 70D sensor and the D750 uses an improved version of the D610 sensor. I realize this is an APS-C camera versus a Full Frame camera but the D750 has an APS crop mode that you can use which would mean you basically have two cameras in one. The DxOMark ratings for the D610 versus the 70D are drastically different with the D610 ranking a 94 and the 70D ranking at 68
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D610-versus-Canon-EOS-70D___915_895
- this disparity is bound to remain in the two new models given their base technologies as mentioned. Besides the obvious boost that the 7D Mark II will have over the D750 in terms of fps and the phase detect for video use, what other reasons are there for choosing the 7D Mark II over the full frame D750? The pricing will not be so different as the D750 is at $2,299 and the 7D MK II is expected to come in at ~$2K.

Thoughts anyone?

At that point you're looking at the system as a whole and not the body itself.
The reason you would get a 7D2 over the D750 is that it's a Canon, you get the lenses, UI and controls, customer support. Nikon has been fixing a lot of the complaints people had, but in the long run I'll still take Canon's lens selection as a primary reason to stay with the system. They don't really show any signs of slowing down in the number of awesome lenses they produce.

Upvote 0
dolina said:
Price and availability would be nice. Need to know when I'll have to sell my 7D Mark 1

You should have probably already sold it. I believe the used market for the 7D is being saturated and now the offer prices are down about 100.00. Maybe more. I wouldnt expect to get more than 500.00 for a trade in in excellent condition. You could get more in a private sale.

Upvote 0
yodani said:

Cheers

Change the set button to zoom and you'll find it works much much better than the old setup ever did.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
no WiFi, no NFC, no RT-wireless flash commander built in. Seriously crippled in the communications department, ouch. But GPS which sucks much more battery power and is not needed as often by most users.

Why oh why? ::)

AF looks promising, everything else is ... ok, but nothing more than minimum to be expected.

you know this no wifi thing has got me pondering a bit. If the rumor is true that multiple 7DII can sync time with each other, it would seem that they have to have some kind of wifi going there to make that happen. One could assume that a GPS enabled camera could get it's time from the GPS sats and all should be within 50 ms of each other. However it was specifically mentioned that the cameras can sync time together. That to me means some kind of wireless communication is going on. Wifi would be the easiest way to do that with current tech.

Upvote 0
Efka76 said:
c) AF technology form 1DX and dual pixel technology - no efforts from Canon side. They just simply included very good autofocus in this camera. I expected a bit more from them.

It's not the same AF module as on the 1DX/5D3, it's completely new and I'm really hoping it leverages the patent posted a while back that showed the dual pixel AF working in conjuction with the mirror based AF system. In terms of number of cross type points, this is the most advanced AF system we've ever seen; not fair at all to say no effort from Canon's side.

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
you know this no wifi thing has got me pondering a bit. If the rumor is true that multiple 7DII can sync time with each other, it would seem that they have to have some kind of wifi going there to make that happen. One could assume that a GPS enabled camera could get it's time from the GPS sats and all should be within 50 ms of each other. However it was specifically mentioned that the cameras can sync time together. That to me means some kind of wireless communication is going on. Wifi would be the easiest way to do that with current tech.

I'd lean more towards the camera having a built in radio commander that can act as a wireless trigger than a true wi-fi setup.

Upvote 0
7DMarkIV said:
This is not a troll attempt, i really would like to hear people's thoughts on the upcoming 7D Mark II when put up against the new Nikon D750.

Technically, the 7DII and the D750 are not supposed to be compared, as one is FF and the one is crop.
The two cameras will be close in price, though. So, they will both be under consideration for enthusiasts looking to step up from their current gear.
And to me at least, the D750 is much more appealing than the 7DII.

When Canon and Nikon announced their entry-level FF cameras, I was underwhelmed.
Despite the 'entry-level' moniker, these are still premium, expensive cameras.
And yet, except for the FF sensors, their specs are somewhat modest (especially the 6D).

The D750 fully addresses my concerns.
With a modern FF sensor and an advanced AF system, it's a camera that can last me for years.
Thus, the higher prices tag becomes justifiable for me.

I can't say the same thing about the 7DII.
I'm still a crop user and I was hoping that the 7DII would have an updated sensor.
From the rumored specs, though, the sensor doesn't promise to be a meaningful improvement.
So, despite the great specs, its appeal as an upgrade option for me is limited.

Not that I'll be switching to Nikon right away.
But it's very nice to know that there's a very appealing FF camera out there with specs that are tailored to my needs, basically.
And whenever I get the urge to switch to FF, I can do it without a second thought 8).

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
The D750 fully addresses my concerns. With a modern FF sensor and an advanced AF system, it's a camera that can last me for years. Thus, the higher prices tag becomes justifiable for me.

Its appeal to me, though, is limited - and the D750 wins.

Not that I'll be switching to Nikon right away. But it's very nice to know that there's a very appealing FF camera out there with specs that are tailored to my needs, basically.

Seriously, there is a camera tailor-made for you and you won't make the jump? Honestly, what are you waiting for? It's like saying you found a Heidi Klum body double but you're waiting for something better in a different color dress. Just make the jump to the Nikon D750 and the NR board!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
raptor3x said:
East Wind Photography said:

I'd lean more towards the camera having a built in radio commander that can act as a wireless trigger than a true wi-fi setup.

I'd lean more towards you needing to buy a WFT-E7 II for each camera on which you want to sync the time. I know you think I'm probably joking, I wish I could say that I was...

Upvote 0
tiger82 said:
Seriously, there is a camera tailor-made for you and you won't make the jump? Honestly, what are you waiting for?

Seriously, it would have been much cheaper and easier for me to upgrade to the 7DII.

Just make the jump to the Nikon D750 and the NR board!

Thanks, I'll consider it 8).

Upvote 0