More Images of the Canon EOS 7D Mark II

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
nvsravank said:
Any mention of whether the metering will be linked to the AF point? That would be icing on the cake for me, but see no mention of it.

I would suspect no, sadly.
I believe that the review on DPREVIEW said that it was linked.......

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
nvsravank said:
Any mention of whether the metering will be linked to the AF point? That would be icing on the cake for me, but see no mention of it.

It did, seems my suspicion was incorrect. Unless DPR is incorrect, which has been known to happen. But assuming they're right, that's a good thing - it's a very useful feature, and nice to see it in something other than a 1-series dSLR.

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
nvsravank said:

It did, seems my suspicion was incorrect. Unless DPR is incorrect, which has been known to happen. But assuming they're right, that's a good thing - it's a very useful feature, and nice to see it in something other than a 1-series dSLR.

I went through Canon's specs on their own site, and came to the conclusion that it's not linked to the AF point.

Edit: Not much use in pasting what I have in the clipboard buffer. Just look down one post to see the exact same sentences.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
nvsravank said:

Then again, maybe I'm right and DPR is wrong. The Canon USA web page on the 7DII states:

[quote author=Canon USA]
Metering Modes
Approx. 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor

EOS iSA System with 252-zone metering

Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
Partial metering (center, approx. 6% of viewfinder)
Spot metering (center, approx. 1.8% of viewfinder)

*AF point-linked spot metering not provided.
Center-weighted average metering

* The selectable metering modes can be restricted with a Custom Function.
[/quote]

While both have been known to be wrong, I'd tend to believe the Canon web site over DPR...

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
DominoDude said:
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
nvsravank said:

I went through Canon's specs on their own site, and came to the conclusion that it's not linked to the AF point.

Edit: Not much use in pasting what I have in the clipboard buffer. Just look down one post to see the exact same sentences.

In the DPR review...
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

Find the section "Canon EOS 7D Mark II key differences"

and in the table.... "Spot-metering linked to AF point - YES"

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
Don Haines said:
DominoDude said:
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
neuroanatomist said:
nvsravank said:

In the DPR review...
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-7d-mark-ii?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=mainmenu&utm_medium=text&ref=mainmenu

Find the section "Canon EOS 7D Mark II key differences"

and in the table.... "Spot-metering linked to AF point - YES"

*nods* Hmm, I see...
and Canon's site says:
Metering Modes
Approx. 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor

EOS iSA System with 252-zone metering

Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
Partial metering (center, approx. 6% of viewfinder)
Spot metering (center, approx. 1.8% of viewfinder)

*AF point-linked spot metering not provided.
Center-weighted average metering

* The selectable metering modes can be restricted with a Custom Function.

However, I do like that the spot metering and partial is a bit narrower. Time will tell if Canon or Digital Preview is correct about the linked spot.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
DominoDude said:
Time will tell if Canon or Digital Preview is correct about the linked spot.

Canon UK and Canon Europe don't mention linking to any AF point, just center spot. They both mention it for the 1D X. Just another couple of data points...
In a question as to which of DPR and Canon is correct.... my money is on Canon.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
DominoDude said:

Yeah, I guess if Canon1 wants to be both lazy and happy, he'll have to spend the thousands after all... :'(

Oh well... guess i'll have to give up photography now. :'(

Upvote 0

jd7

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
9VIII said:
7DMarkIV said:
This is not a troll attempt, i really would like to hear people's thoughts on the upcoming 7D Mark II when put up against the new Nikon D750. It seems the 7D Mark II will use an improved 70D sensor and the D750 uses an improved version of the D610 sensor. I realize this is an APS-C camera versus a Full Frame camera but the D750 has an APS crop mode that you can use which would mean you basically have two cameras in one. The DxOMark ratings for the D610 versus the 70D are drastically different with the D610 ranking a 94 and the 70D ranking at 68
http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D610-versus-Canon-EOS-70D___915_895
- this disparity is bound to remain in the two new models given their base technologies as mentioned. Besides the obvious boost that the 7D Mark II will have over the D750 in terms of fps and the phase detect for video use, what other reasons are there for choosing the 7D Mark II over the full frame D750? The pricing will not be so different as the D750 is at $2,299 and the 7D MK II is expected to come in at ~$2K.

Thoughts anyone?

At that point you're looking at the system as a whole and not the body itself.
The reason you would get a 7D2 over the D750 is that it's a Canon, you get the lenses, UI and controls, customer support. Nikon has been fixing a lot of the complaints people had, but in the long run I'll still take Canon's lens selection as a primary reason to stay with the system. They don't really show any signs of slowing down in the number of awesome lenses they produce.

The 7D2 seems like it will be a great action camera (although there is still the question over low light performance), but all else being equal (which it is not, of course) the D750 is the camera which would interest me far more. I'm not putting my Canon gear up for sale just yet, but I'll be looking forward to finding out what Canon has to offer when they release their next round of FF cameras. A 6D with AF and FPS comparable to the D750's sounds great to me (and I guess I'd take the D750 sensor too if it was on offer).

(OK, in anticipation that someone will say I could always just get a 5DIII, yes that is true, although it would be heavier, bigger and more expensive. Still, it's always an option.)

Upvote 0