More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

Remember when we told you we saw an image of the 1DX Mark III but couldn’t tell show it? Well, that person got back to us today with a little more details on the 1DX Mark III.
We already know it’s fast,  has great video specifications, built like a tank, and even shoots RAW video.  You can probably use it to prop up your car instead of a jack in an emergency.  It’s very likely to be Canon’s best 1 series DSLR, and hopefully not the last of it’s kind.
The source mentioned a few tidbits to us;

The battery life is nothing short of amazing, much better than the 1DX Mark II.
The silent shutter mode in liveview is absolutely silent.
The eye AF works incredibly well (via liveview we are assuming)
The AF-ON trackpad is so innovative, works fast and it very precise. In the source’s words, “it’s a real revolution. Nobody will be using the old joystick”

We still don’t have some details that some would like to know, such as the megapixels.   According to the source, “it was impossible to...

Continue reading...

I'm hopeful, but somewhat skeptical of an AF trackpad, given how bad the M-fn bar on the EOS R is... Would love to see something better than a joystick. I like using the touch-screen on my R to move the AF point, but hate how easy it is to accidentally move it with my nose (or, how you can't even use it if you have your screen flipped in).

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
I'm hopeful, but somewhat skeptical of an AF trackpad, given how bad the M-fn bar on the EOS R is... Would love to see something better than a joystick.

Perhaps you're right to be skeptical, but an AF trackpad sounds great to me. Combining the tactile feel of the joystick for selection with the ability to actually back button focus sounds like a step-up on all fronts to me.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Based on previous releases and trade show schedules I think we'll it around CP+ which is late february/early march. Did your source mention anything about pricing?

No prices mentioned. That was all the information we could share publically, there weren't any other details relating to the 1DX Mark III in the email.

Somewhere in between Feb and March is a safe bet. The 1DX came out in March, the 1DX Mark II came out in early Feb.

Upvote 0
I'm hopeful, but somewhat skeptical of an AF trackpad, given how bad the M-fn bar on the EOS R is... Would love to see something better than a joystick. I like using the touch-screen on my R to move the AF point, but hate how easy it is to accidentally move it with my nose (or, how you can't even use it if you have your screen flipped in).

The EOS R touch bar isn't bad .. just that some photographer's lack the knack to implement it. I've seen scores of posts and videos where people have put it to good use. And it can also be ignored.

Wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming 1DX III has a joystick and pad as two options for more choices.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
To be REVOLUTIONARY instead of just 'our best version yet because we improved a few things' it would need to offer 6k video.
Everyone mastering in 4K wants to be able to crop in. Shooting video in 4k is the past, not the future.

My macbook pro 2016 can barely edit 4k 10bit from a gh5 and I don't think the current MBP can do much better so personally I'm fine with 4k, i think 6k would be excessive currently for most people

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
My macbook pro 2016 can barely edit 4k 10bit from a gh5 and I don't think the current MBP can do much better so personally I'm fine with 4k, i think 6k would be excessive currently for most people
Here we go again :rolleyes:
No it's 8k, wait....12, no... 16.... give any video head a few months and the numbers change but the drivel is the same.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
No it's 8k, wait....12, no... 16.... give any video head a few months and the numbers change but the drivel is the same.
Agreed, 6k and all those numbers are buzzwords, and they sound great, but when you actually try to edit these files or ask what is the final audience most people will shoot in 1080 if not 4k. I like 4k because you can do scale down 3840x2160 to 16:9 2400 x 1350 for youtube then export for ig 1080 x 1350 - but I think 6k would be excess for the average target audience. 6k and all that jazz is more so for individuals who are shooting in the industry or indies but in that case they opt for cinema cameras anyways.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0