More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

If it got 20mpix or smaller sensor it cant do 6k video . no need even discuss about this matter :p
So if they tell video resolution they also tell sensor size ,what they still want keep secret obviously.

You only need 25.2MP, and you could use a 24MP sensor for stills with a total pixel count of say 26MP. This is how Sony does it, the A7III captures 6K and downsamples to 4K and if you check it actually has just over 25.2MP total pixels. I'd be more inclined to believe it'll be 24MP but there was no talk at all of 6K, it's not happening anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
My macbook pro 2016 can barely edit 4k 10bit from a gh5 and I don't think the current MBP can do much better so personally I'm fine with 4k, i think 6k would be excessive currently for most people
Funny enough, you're probably very wrong on that. For as much as I think the Macbook is trash (My 2014 Dell edits 4K without much issue), the current generation MBP is a lot faster than the 2016 version across all workloads. Main reason being they managed to work the thermals a lot better. Prior models of MBPs tend to thermal throttle, even at base CPU speeds, usually causing most workloads to render barely over (and often under) the base of 2.4-2.8ghz, despite being able to clock up to 3.2 - 3.6. The new MBP can sustain it's max CPU speed a whole lot longer than any previous generation. Now's a good time to upgrade if you're in the market for a new MBP. Or just wait until the next gen comes out and look for this one, used. But as always, you get what you pay for and unless you're going top spec, you're probably going to complain about something being slow (my 2014 laptop was one Xenon and ECC memory away from being the top spec'd Dell Precision)

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I have no need for a laptop, and I definitely can’t envision an occasion to edit 4K video on one.

My five year old iMac can edit 4K video with no sweat. The internal drive is a 1TB SSD, so all the work files are instantly available. That may be a lot of the difference. The quad 4GHz processor before the turbo kicks in and the use of the video board processor for help certainly don’t hurt. I gather those would be good specs for a laptop even today.

I don’t have anything that shoots 6K or 8K, so I don’t know whether my iMac would be up for either of those.

Upvote 0
Funny enough, you're probably very wrong on that. For as much as I think the Macbook is trash (My 2014 Dell edits 4K without much issue), the current generation MBP is a lot faster than the 2016 version across all workloads. Main reason being they managed to work the thermals a lot better. Prior models of MBPs tend to thermal throttle, even at base CPU speeds, usually causing most workloads to render barely over (and often under) the base of 2.4-2.8ghz, despite being able to clock up to 3.2 - 3.6. The new MBP can sustain it's max CPU speed a whole lot longer than any previous generation. Now's a good time to upgrade if you're in the market for a new MBP. Or just wait until the next gen comes out and look for this one, used. But as always, you get what you pay for and unless you're going top spec, you're probably going to complain about something being slow (my 2014 laptop was one Xenon and ECC memory away from being the top spec'd Dell Precision)

4k 8bit footage is fine from the gh5/sony a7iii and eos r its fine with that, 4k 10bit 422 is what is more difficult it takes forever to render preview and scrub into order to edit for a 3 minute 10bit 422 file it took over an hr to just render preview the footage.

Upvote 0
So we can look forward to sometime in 2020 having access to the new R lenses with a non-pro camera body that sports a sensor older than my first grader; or a potentially impressive DSLR body that can't use any of the new lenses. Yay?

I understand that the great body of EF lenses is more than enough for any particular purpose, but this clearly could not have been the deliberate intent when plans were developed.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I don't believe he was referring to the MAP, which we all know Canon took a much closer interest in a few years ago. I believe the context of masterpix's comment was telling Bennymiata he would have to wait four years to get a good deal on a MkIII, I pointed out that probably isn't the case.
Good point. Four years was an exaggeration, although the 1D line does tend to hold its initial price longer than other models. And it’s true that you can find good deals if you work at it.

Upvote 0

magarity

CR Pro
Feb 14, 2017
How would battery life improve significantly if 1) it takes the same batteries as the 1DXii, and 2) the camera is so fundamentally similar to the 1DXii?
It may be the same compatible shape but not the same battery model exactly? Cell phones have driven battery technology to amazing new energy densities. A battery with the latest material in the same shape is probably double the old capacity.

Upvote 0
The 90D is ”fundamentally similar” to the 80D and shares the battery, yet it has something like 50% improved battery life. Canon’s new generation of electronics seem to be very energy efficient.
It's the same as computers. Intel and AMD have both historically used a "tick tock" release schedule. The ticks are a new process, the tocks are that same new process on a smaller die. Everytime it 'tocks' the power consumption goes down (although the next 'tick' adds more power hungry transistors to the die, so it's two steps forward, one back on power consumption).

lately with bothIntel and Amd it's been tick tick tick tock, but the principle is the same. From what I understand Canon actually skipped down 3-4 generations of die sizes so their gains were much more dramatic.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Or maybe less, say until Christmas time, briefly, and then another 11 months or so before heading back down and staying lower? (And then there are refurbs and gray markets, for those so inclined.)

View attachment 187300
Interesting, I thought that the price was 5,500 all along, so waiting 1.5 years does worth the 500$?

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Thats not true. I paid $4,750 each for my two 1DX MkII's less than a year after they were released, I got the free CFast cards and readers too, I also got a 3 year extended third party warranty as well as the 'real' Canon 12 month warranty, the price was the same if you bought one or more so no discount for getting two. Back then the B&H price was $5,995.
Can you share where you got that price?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Can you share where you got that price?
Canon Price Watch. https://www.cpricewatch.com/contact/

I have bought bodies and lenses via CPW in multiple transactions and I have never had an issue with any transaction, though the actual retailer changes.

Never buy any new Canon gear (and a few other manufacturers) without emailing Gordon over there, he will find you the best possible deal from either USA Canon dealers, Canon Canada dealers, or grey market dealers if that is what you want, it is your choice. You know where the deal is coming from and you are sending the money to a respectable brick and mortar store, they just can't advertise the price because Canon won't let them.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sorry guys, but if 4K is hard to edit on your computers it's only because you work on the compressed files.
Your workflow is just not adapted.
I can edit 4K files on resolve on a 600€ computer. 4 cores, 8gb of ram, but big external SSD plugged to it.
I have a main workstation that stores the raw files and creates proxy files to work with.

Resolve, a big resource hog and editing 4K on the 8GB RAM PC? I don't believe you for a second. But maybe you are talking about a slide show :)

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Interesting, I thought that the price was 5,500 all along, so waiting 1.5 years does worth the 500$?
If somebody has a working camera and doesn't need an immediate upgrade, the $500 might be worth it to him/her. And if we occasionally, due to excitement or actual need, buy something at the release price, it might not mean much in the scheme of our finances. However, by waiting for price drops consistently, you start adding up $500 here, $300 there, $1000 on another item...Before you know, you're starting to talk about some real money.

And you are the one talking about price, so I thought it meant something to you.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
To be REVOLUTIONARY instead of just 'our best version yet because we improved a few things' it would need to offer 6k video.
Everyone mastering in 4K wants to be able to crop in. Shooting video in 4k is the past, not the future.

The VAST majority of users of this camera will be professional sports, news and wildlife still photographers. Regardless of whatever video-centric features may be included in it, the PRIMARY purpose of this camera and reason for it's existence, is for shooting stills. If you want/need high resolution video, buy a dedicated, high resolution video camera.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
and how would you expect that to work with a DSLR.... :rolleyes:
It is perplexing to me that the 1Dx series is so much louder than the 5D series. I understand that it has something to do with frame rate and I accept it as a fact of life, but it does make the 1Dx unusable in some situations. I don't expect my 1Dx to be as silent as my R, but it would be nice if it could come a little closer to the 5D.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
To be REVOLUTIONARY instead of just 'our best version yet because we improved a few things' it would need to offer 6k video.
Everyone mastering in 4K wants to be able to crop in. Shooting video in 4k is the past, not the future.

You seem like the type of person that when 6K comes around you'll be only impressed if anyone has 8K, and when 8K comes along only impressed when someone has 10K, never pleased are you?

What on earth are you not able to do now with 4K, there is barely any content even in 4K, on youtube everything is still pretty much 1080p and it looks damn good on my macbook. I dont think you'll ever be pleased to be honest, who cares about 6K, this is a photography camera first, want 6k 8K, go to RED cameras and stop whining.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0