More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

Jun 12, 2015
The camera is as well designed for remote shooting, where OVF is useless.

No, it does shoot without using the OVF, but a 1D camera isn’t in any way, shape or form designed with a priority to be used in live view mode. Live view is an added feature, which came decades after designing the form factor if Canon 1-series (D)SLRs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Some people must enjoy exposing their ignorance. The link at the bottom of my post will be dead by tomorrow as National Geographic shuts the site down but for anyone interested in whether the 1DX2 can be used for wildlife, click the link. That's not to say that a quieter shutter would not be helpful but for now it's manageable.

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Interesting, I thought that the price was 5,500 all along, so waiting 1.5 years does worth the 500$?
For me the initial wait isn’t so much about price, though any deals after a few months of first adopter premium never hurts, its about the far more important aspect is getting any issues discovered and ironed out. Anybody else remember the 1D MkIII and the green dot and blue dot boxing disaster?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
No, it does shoot without using the OVF, but a 1D camera isn’t in any way, shape or form designed with a priority to be used in live view mode. Live view is an added feature, which came decades after designing the form factor if Canon 1-series (D)SLRs.
Which other Canon photo camera has a Gigabit Ethernet connection?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
As for editing video, it depends entirely on which program you use on which OS and system, if you are an Apple user then Premier Pro is slow, if you are using FCPX then you can scrub through anything easily. Heck I can easily edit 4k on my iPad if I use Luma Fusion, but I am not trying to force my workflow into a system that isn't optimized.

I can easily work 1DX MkII 4k in FCPX on my MBP but I have 32GB RAM, 6 cores and 2TB of internal SSD.

PP in Windows, FCPX in Apple, Luma Fusion in iPad OS, all work 4k effortlessly with modest processing power.

Upvote 0
I'm hopeful, but somewhat skeptical of an AF trackpad, given how bad the M-fn bar on the EOS R is... Would love to see something better than a joystick. I like using the touch-screen on my R to move the AF point, but hate how easy it is to accidentally move it with my nose (or, how you can't even use it if you have your screen flipped in).
If it is like any modern laptop trackpad i could see this being a big deal amd one that would kill the joystick. One where you have the downward press which activates the AF and it then recongnises movement of your finger on that button to move the AF points. If it were to work like a trackpad you could potentially have the AF remain active WHILE you change AF points, rather than moving your finger to the screen or joystick to move the point.

Upvote 0
They should have made a mirrorless 1DX III , Canon is so far behind the curve :sleep: It's fine if your shooting humans or sports where noisy shutters don't matter, but useless for most wildlife

And yet the 1Dx and 1Dx2 have been used extensively by wildlife photographers... :rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]
Ive used both previous 1DX and 1dx 2 on wildlife, you have to be very careful with nervous subjects, an occasional single shot in " silent mode" ( not very silent) . It depends on what wildlife you are shooting I guess, but take it from me, I and many others can now get shots which would be impossible with a noisy shutter , and only by using a Sony A9 with 20 fps in silent mode, a wildlife photographers dream ;) I can also use Sony A9 with my Canon prime lenses with MC-11 adaptor

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2014
The EOS R touch bar isn't bad .. just that some photographer's lack the knack to implement it. I've seen scores of posts and videos where people have put it to good use. And it can also be ignored.

Wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming 1DX III has a joystick and pad as two options for more choices.
lol Touch bar is just bad.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
For me the initial wait isn’t so much about price, though any deals after a few months of first adopter premium never hurts, its about the far more important aspect is getting any issues discovered and ironed out. Anybody else remember the 1D MkIII and the green dot and blue dot boxing disaster?
Yes.. I got one one of the first 20 bodies of the 1d3, my first 1-series. I thought it missed a lot, but had no reference except my previous body, the 400d. Then the reviews started coming in and I tested more and it got worse and worse. Think it was repaired, or tried to, 4 times and endless firmwares and tune ups. It was a nightmare of a camera. I bought the 1d4 on the first day of release. Thanks for reminding me. jk :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
lol Touch bar is just bad.
I would hate a camera without it now since I very often need the level or histogram, but some times at the same time and some times just one of them and I can’t see any other way of doing both that and choose kelvin directly . A HUGE timesaver for me. And all in one button. What’s there not to love?

Upvote 0
New sensor and digic processors use less power. That would have to be the main difference.
and subsequently also generate less heat which is always going to be a challenge to dissipate. That alone could be the driving factor for new sensor/digic requirement specifications. A new battery would be the least of the issues of a new body just like changing card requirements is not seen as an issue.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Well, the prices here, since I don't live in the US are subject to the currency exchange rate, taxes, VAT etc...
Yes, barring a miracle, all those taxes and weak exchange rates will be here pretty soon, so this is probably the best time to buy we will ever see in the USA. :cry::cry::cry:

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The EOS R touch bar isn't bad .. just that some photographer's lack the knack to implement it. I've seen scores of posts and videos where people have put it to good use. And it can also be ignored.

Wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming 1DX III has a joystick and pad as two options for more choices.
Not bad? Canon has been shamed into never putting it on another camera again. Ever. :D Even great companies make a mistake now and then. It's the ones that admit it and fix it that keep going and going and going.

Upvote 0
And yet the 1Dx and 1Dx2 have been used extensively by wildlife photographers... :rolleyes:
Ive used both previous 1DX and 1dx 2 on wildlife, you have to be very careful with nervous subjects, an occasional single shot in " silent mode" ( not very silent) . It depends on what wildlife you are shooting I guess, but take it from me, I and many others can now get shots which would be impossible with a noisy shutter , and only by using a Sony A9 with 20 fps in silent mode, a wildlife photographers dream ;) I can also use Sony A9 with my Canon prime lenses with MC-11 adaptor
[/QUOTE]

I like to trust but verify. Can you post some of the photos you have taken with the A9 which were impossible with the 1dx?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
[/QUOTE]

Oh I've no doubt that quieter is better, but the original post stated the 1Dx was 'useless'. It's that sort of hyperbole that brings this place down. Your answer is much more nuanced. My own experience fwiw (though not with a 1-series) is that no wildlife I've tried to shoot is bothered by my shutter, but there's lots of reasons for that.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A key factor with wildlife is how close you are and whether you are hidden. Certainly noise is generally not desirable but sometimes it really doesn't matter. A long lens places the noise at quite a distance so it's less problematic and of course many birds, like hummers, don't fear getting shot anyway. Yes hyperbole is annoying but best ignored. I usually do.

Jack

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Or the CFast card malfunction with the 1Dx II?

Upvote 0

maves

24mm TS-e ii is life!
Sep 21, 2017
Tasmania
The problem of the Touch Bar is that people didn't know how to use it and tried to give it functions that it is bad for. It's not a wheel, and it's horrible for settings like ISO or exposure compensation where you need feedback like clicks. What it's good for is gestures. Not many people are used to having that on their camera so were slow to adopt it and I was similar. I primarily shoot architecture with tilt shift lenses hand held! Tap left it toggles the level, tap right it toggles the histogram, swipe right it zooms in, swipe left it zooms out.

Now that I'm used to it I hope they put it on every camera they make.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0