More information on the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III [CR2]

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
the eye-af improvements via live view sounds amazing... but im thinking steadily holding the 1DX (and with a big lens) a few inches in front of you will strain your arms in a very short period of time.
Agreed. Since my main interest in eye-af is for sports shooting, there is simply no way I could or would use the rear screen for composing and following action.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
It might be just me, or it might be an age thing, but I can't imagine shooting portraits (or almost anything else, except maybe landscapes) using a rear screen. I also can't see how I could frame a portrait while holding a camera out in front of me and looking at the subject. It just seems too unwieldy. I suppose if I had it mounted on a tripod it might work, but I'm just not a tripod person.
Personally I agree, I have tried but I am too old a dog to learn that new trick :)

I'm not saying I could use the technique just that I am seeing more and more people, amateurs and pros, doing it.

Upvote 0
To be REVOLUTIONARY instead of just 'our best version yet because we improved a few things' it would need to offer 6k video.
Everyone mastering in 4K wants to be able to crop in. Shooting video in 4k is the past, not the future.

the great thing is, canon have already cropped you in on 4K so one less thing to worry about.
1f44d.svg
1f605.svg

Don’t forget there are still some things they haven’t told us about so could be more. Sounds like a decent camera to me though - but I see what you’re saying about the 4K. They might be saving some goodies for the pro range of R’s.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Great portraits. Well done, PBD.
d055.gif
Thanks Click, ever the gentleman. But I really only posted them to try to illustrate the problem of pigeon holing camera types, I deliberately posted a studio portrait with studio lights from a studio in Florida, a travel environmental portrait with natural light from Guatemala, and a location portrait shoot from an island in the Caribbean with Speedlites, just to show the very varied way I use 1 series cameras.

I also shoot sheep dog trials, kiteboarding, horse racing, food, real estate, products and anything else that will earn me an income, and the best tool for me and the way I travel has proven to be the 1 series.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I also shoot sheep dog trials, kiteboarding, horse racing, food, real estate, products and anything else that will earn me an income, and the best tool for me and the way I travel has proven to be the 1 series.

Just goes to show that it's a tool. A very flexible one, in this case, but the results are up to the user.

Upvote 0
The EOS R touch bar isn't bad .. just that some photographer's lack the knack to implement it. I've seen scores of posts and videos where people have put it to good use. And it can also be ignored.

Wouldn't be surprised if the upcoming 1DX III has a joystick and pad as two options for more choices.

BS. Do you use the R? Or just watch videos of people who do? I've had one since the day it was released. The touch bar is crap. Even disabled, it's crap because it takes up prime real estate on the camera. Also, annoying because it displays a UI when you rest your thumb on it, again, even while disabled. I agree it could be a cool input, but it is just not well excecuted at all. There's a reason it's not on the RP or any other camera from Canon.

Upvote 0
Perhaps you're right to be skeptical, but an AF trackpad sounds great to me. Combining the tactile feel of the joystick for selection with the ability to actually back button focus sounds like a step-up on all fronts to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea, (just like I love the idea of the trackpad on the Apple TV remote) but it's all in the execution.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
BS. Do you use the R? Or just watch videos of people who do? I've had one since the day it was released. The touch bar is crap.
So despite the number of people posting setups that allow them to make great use of the touch bar, because you haven't tried any of these or found them to be unsuitable for you, the thing is objectively bad?

If you say it is not for you, fine. But you come off as saying it isn't for anyone, which is clearly not the case.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
If in live view works so well, if you attach the EOS M6 Mark II viewfinder (in the hotshoe) you can get a better camera, well or a better version of that one and then, use the screen as an EOS R...

Only if you consider a camera that has no way to control external flashes a "better" camera than one that can.

Upvote 0

fox40phil

People, Events, Sports & Wildlife
Apr 12, 2013
Germany
www.phileas-schoenberg.de
I like using the touch-screen on my R to move the AF point, but hate how easy it is to accidentally move it with my nose (or, how you can't even use it if you have your screen flipped in).

wtf really?! Can't use it while flipping?! that sounds really annoying and not thought to the end? Or I m missing something?!

Upvote 0
I see more and more pros and amateurs shooting via the rear screen with the camera held away from them, not with long tele's but certainly with big and heavy sub 135mm glass. Lets not forget that for many years it was common to use waist level viewfinders... OLED screens with much higher contrast and brightness output are making rear screens evermore useful for more and more photography, in portrait environments it is very nice being able to maintain eye contact with the subject, or at least not have a big camera and lens between you.

yeah its become common to shoot that way but with much smaller mirrorless cameras

Upvote 0