More Mentions of a Canon Mirrorless Announcement Ahead of Photokina [CR1]

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Ha.....I hope you are right.

But, if history is any indicator, Canon will release a FF mirrorless that will be a massive internet disappointment, a spec sheet failure, and something that will be roasted like a luau pig in many a youtube video.

oh...and it will be used to take many wonderful pictures and outsell the Nikon/Sony offerings combined. :D

Like Canon was horribly bashed 30 years ago when the EOS system was released. Lousy specs on the first couple of cameras etc. But the technology was there and it has taken others 30 years to start to catch up with the all electric mount. Look at the Nikon struggles for 30 years now in this area and finally have to change the mount which I will guess will not support most older lenses including the older AF type lenses. Yes they will likely mount with an adapter but so what? No matter what Canon comes out with it will most likely allow all features of all EF type lenses no matter how old the be 100% operational.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I wish Canon had a facetracking feature that could be used while looking through the viewfinder.
I would like it to be an option. I don't want to lose OVF functionality because of it. If Canon improves its iTR for precise face tracking while keeping the OVF working, fine with me. Still, I'm not in hurry.

But I bet you think that Canon is not "innovative" enough to have iTR in the first place.

Focus peaking while looking through the viewfinder is also something I would love to have. Tell me that is not useful?
I can see what it is good for when it is on an external monitor while shooting videos.
I don't see what it is useful for if it is crammed into a little viewfinder while shooting stills.

Your statements boil down to: All technological advancements in other cameras are just marketing. That is a very cheap shot, which is why I do not consider your oppinion valid at all. Differentiate at the very least.
Your statements boil down to: If people don't trust marketing BS and prefer an actually working product, then they are against "all technological advancements". That is a very cheap shot, which is why I do not consider your opinion valid at all. Differentiate at the very least.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I would like it to be an option. I don't want to lose OVF functionality because of it. If Canon improves its iTR for precise face tracking while keeping the OVF working, fine with me. Still, I'm not in hurry.
I see the 5D4 has an option for 'iTR AF Face priority' - is that sufficient for you?
See 2:11 in:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't care, but people that want it to reliably keep eyes in focus with 85/1.2 will probably be disappointed.

(They will likely be disappointed by Sony as well, but they won't post that here)
If you were shooting a mission critical shot at F1.2, I would think you would want to manually focus that.
But hey - a focus zoom through the viewfinder might be handy for that, and Canon don't offer that in a FF camera at present.
[dream mode] I would love Canon to bring back their 'eye controlled AF' - I think that could be awesome when paired with a focus zoom in the viewfinder.
Just put the lens into MF mode and hit the 'AF On' button, and the camera will automatically detect where you are looking at in the viewfinder and zoom in on that location for precise focus control... Might make me want a mirrorless camera that [/dream mode]

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
[dream mode] I would love Canon to bring back their 'eye controlled AF' - I think that could be awesome when paired with a focus zoom in the viewfinder.
Just put the lens into MF mode and hit the 'AF On' button, and the camera will automatically detect where you are looking at in the viewfinder and zoom in on that location for precise focus control... Might make me want a mirrorless camera that [/dream mode]
How about piezoelectrically-controlled "dual pixel" focusing screen?

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
I don't own a 5D Mark IV. I'm still happy with my 5D Mark III. There are several reasons.

1) I don't find that the 5D Mark III misses AF that often when used properly, thus the need for dual pixel raw isn't really on my list of considerations about whether to get a 5D Mark IV.
2) Most of what I shoot is high frame rate sports/performing arts. The added file sizes of 30 MP compared to 22 MP plus the added file sizes of dual pixel raw turned on compared to dual pixel raw turned off would slow me down too much. Even if I had a 5D Mark IV I doubt I'd use dual pixel raw that often due to buffer issues.
3) It's a lot of money for a minimal benefit for me and what I shoot. The only thing I wish the 5D Mark III had that it doesn't is flicker reduction. But the 6D Mark II has that at less than half the price of the 5D Mark IV.

The 5D Mark IV is a very nice camera. For me it's just not worth what it would cost compared to the camera I'm already using.

If you want to stay feeling that way, I wouldn't spend too much time playing around with the 5DIV's touchscreen user interface. The shadow lifting is sweet too.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
While waiting for Canon's FF Mirrorless, the Fuji GFX gets better looking by the day...
Tried one yesterday and was deeply disappointed but the UI and physical design. I’ve been using Exp. Comp. on a rear dial for almost 30 years. The GFX grip make accessing the rear dial nearly impossible even for smaller hands. Using the front dial had me shut off the camera several times.
When I ask the sales person about not being able to correct EVF diopter properly, she said “it happens” then removed the battery, counted to 10, and started it up again.
Later while shooting at a Canon event, I was happy to have my trusty 6D in my hands!
Canon: please give us a large frame sensor (50+ meg) mirrorless EOS with EF adapter and do not make it smaller than a 5D-IV!

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
100% correct. The 5DS even when cropped hard delivers great detailed shots if kept within its optimum ISO range (I rarely go higher than 400ISO and I'm normally at 100ISO)

Since the pixel pitch is nearly identical, if one crops the 5Ds to the same size as the 7D Mark II, the results will be near identical as well. A FF sensor has no inherent advantages over an APS-C sensor if the images from both are enlarged by the same factor. The advantage of a FF vs. an APS-C sensor is all based on the lower enlargement ratio needed to get to the same display size.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Focus peaking and face tracking are a function of the mirrorless functionality which is why it is not possible using Canon FF which are all OVFs.

I don't shoot a lot of landscapes but I find it hard to imagine there are many circumstances where the extra DR of a Sony will make or break the need to bracket an exposure. I would have thought if you are serious about landscapes you would either bracket or use filters - any image where people point out how great it is to recover 5 stops of shadows and avoid bracketing I think looks flat and uninspiring.

Well, unless the light meter is actually a .5 MP RGB+IR CMOS sensor that can be tied into the AF system.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
If you want to stay feeling that way, I wouldn't spend too much time playing around with the 5DIV's touchscreen user interface. The shadow lifting is sweet too.

I know the cameras I use well enough to change every setting I need to without taking my eye from the viewfinder: ISO, Av, Tv, AF mode, AF point selection, EC, FEC, WB, EL, FEL, etc.

I also know how to properly expose when shooting the frame, rather than when looking at it in post.

Upvote 0
I know the cameras I use well enough to change every setting I need to without taking my eye from the viewfinder: ISO, Av, Tv, AF mode, AF point selection, EC, FEC, WB, EL, FEL, etc.

I also know how to properly expose when shooting the frame, rather than when looking at it in post.

I mean this as a genuine question as I think I've missed something, are you meaning you shouldnt/shouldn't have to play with shadows if you get correct exposure?

Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
I love them and I love the ecosystem, but I am frustrated, because there is no camera with the spec list I want

I am a little late to this party, but I was going back and looking at this thread and saw this.

I am curious....is there any single specific camera, or, more precisely, camera system that does have the "spec list" that you want? Not just something off their camera, the whole ecosystem.

I say this as before I was deep into the Canon system (no turning back at this point) I did evaluate other systems. I found them lacking in different ways and in the end I chose Canon.

Of course, the joke would be that it is like dating to marriage. Ultimately you pick one. Good things....and ...umm...other things.

Upvote 0
I am a little late to this party, but I was going back and looking at this thread and saw this.

I am curious....is there any single specific camera, or, more precisely, camera system that does have the "spec list" that you want? Not just something off their camera, the whole ecosystem.

I say this as before I was deep into the Canon system (no turning back at this point) I did evaluate other systems. I found them lacking in different ways and in the end I chose Canon.

Of course, the joke would be that it is like dating to marriage. Ultimately you pick one. Good things....and ...umm...other things.

Sadly, no. If adapted lenses would work 100%, then it would be a close call. What frustrates me about Canon is that the limits they put on their cameras feel arbitrary. Like with the 6D2... they previously released the 5D4 which proved that they can increase dynamic range, but they chose not to. With their cinema line up, they prove that they can create great 4k cameras. They basically have all the components, but refuse to put them together. And why would they, because they are the biggest company with the greates market share, they would most likely steal their own customers.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Sadly, no. If adapted lenses would work 100%, then it would be a close call. What frustrates me about Canon is that the limits they put on their cameras feel arbitrary. Like with the 6D2... they previously released the 5D4 which proved that they can increase dynamic range, but they chose not to. With their cinema line up, they prove that they can create great 4k cameras. They basically have all the components, but refuse to put them together. And why would they, because they are the biggest company with the greates market share, they would most likely steal their own customers.

You mean like Sony who have crippled their wonderful A73 with an ancient technology LCD and EVF?

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com

If you want the DR of a 5d4. Then buy a 5d4. Don't whinge that a cheaper camera doesn't have everything you want. Fact is though, if DR is the be all and end all then you should get a Sony. I am not sure canon will match them in the next decade. If a tech heavy spec sheet is the be all and end all then get a Sony. Canon clearly have little i terest in throwing out cameras with half baked tech features. If you want a camera that works. That works consistently. That works reliably. That works when you need it to work in crappy conditions and a camera that will 'get you the shot'. Then stop looking at spec sheets and buy a Canon or Nikon or even a Fuji. Sonys have a reputation of failing when it matters. And if that happens then what does it matter how amazing its specs are? I would rather a camera that does 3/4 of the things a sony does nmbut does them all the time than a camera that has the spec list from heaven but is a pain in the ass to use and only works 3/4 of the time.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You mean like Sony who have crippled their wonderful A73 with an ancient technology LCD and EVF?
None of that matters. Only DR matters. Clearly Canon knows how important DR is, that's why they charge more for the 5DIV than the 6DII. Can't you just picture them sitting in their wood-paneled boardroom, rubbing their hands together like Mr. Burns and chuckling over all their customers they're sticking it to by forcing them to pay more for DR or suffer the horrible woes of less DR because they can't afford the higher price.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
None of that matters. Only DR matters. Clearly Canon knows how important DR is, that's why they charge more for the 5DIV than the 6DII. Can't you just picture them sitting in their wood-paneled boardroom, rubbing their hands together like Mr. Burns and chuckling over all their customers they're sticking it to by forcing them to pay more for DR or suffer the horrible woes of less DR because they can't afford the higher price.

4K matters too, and all the other magic numbers that DPR comes up with. That's what is meant by uncompetitive Canon specs. Doesn't matter whether the magic numbers mean anything important or not. How would anybody know that?

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I mean this as a genuine question as I think I've missed something, are you meaning you shouldnt/shouldn't have to play with shadows if you get correct exposure?
Normally, you would want to play with shadows before you take a picture, not after. It leads to better pictures. "Photography", after all, is "drawing with light".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0