More Mentions of EF-M Prime Lenses [CR1]

AvTvM said:
I also want a compact, light, moderate tele lens in EF-M mount. For "unserious" quick portraits on the fly (not in studio), for street use, for concerts/events [where DSLRs are either "forbidden" or simply too bulky], for urbexing when I think it is not advisable to take really expensive cameras and lenses along to a specific location] and for general walk-around tele use.

Beyond 55mm focal length @ f/5.6 on the EF-M kit lens the only currently available native EF-M lens is the EF-M 55-200/4.5-6.3. I'd like a EF-M short tele prime - around 85mm - a few stops faster [anything between f/2.0 and f/2.8], smaller size and with IS. Adapted EF 85/1.8 or 100/2.0 is already a bit on the large side on an M and they have no IS.

The walkaround I get... but especially for concerts and events, is the autofocus on the M (even M3) really good enough for the typical lighting at those? And would an SL1 not work better (and probably even get past a "no SLR" rule)? I'd even rather have the SL1 (and do!) for the walkaround purpose.

In fairness, I've never really understood the appeal of the M in the first place, but the given reasons for the "portrait" prime just underscore its limitations. The WA/ UWA primes make more sense to me.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
http://bit.ly/1PEBsqs

I don't cover Taylor Swift or Rolling Stones concerts. I'm usually not accredited. DSLRs - even an SL1 with kitzoom - are considered "professional gear" by security. EOS-M plus small lens look inconspicuos. However, even a compact tele like EF 100/2.0 with adapter looks way "too professional" - i usually put it into an extra coat pocket or small bag. I need some reach, because i am not next to the stage, but in the audience. I need faster than f/5.6 because light is always low. EOS M (1) one-shot AF is good enough with careful timing to get me some keepers. Bands/acts usually like the images. Had no complaints so far because of my candid bootleg captures. Most of the time we have a nice exchange of emails, sometimes I get a free ticket to a show, sometomes they use some of my images on their homepage.

So, i'd like to get an EOS-M4 (or even better a very compact FF MILC) with EVF and a compact, native 80/2.0 or f/2.8 short tele to go with it. I have no interest in macro (lenses) or more wide-angle primes. 22/2 is all i need (plus sometimes the 11-22) - the 22/2 is good enough, small enough and inconspicuous enough to not be considere "professional gear" by even the most ignorant security staff. :)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AvTvM said:

I don't cover Taylor Swift or Rolling Stones concerts. I'm usually not accredited. DSLRs - even an SL1 with kitzoom - are considered "professional gear" by security. EOS-M plus small lens look inconspicuos. However, even a compact tele like EF 100/2.0 with adapter looks way "too professional" - i usually put it into an extra coat pocket or small bag. I need some reach, because i am not next to the stage, but in the audience. I need faster than f/5.6 because light is always low. EOS M (1) one-shot AF is good enough with careful timing to get me some keepers. Bands/acts usually like the images. Had no complaints so far because of my candid bootleg captures. Most of the time we have a nice exchange of emails, sometimes I get a free ticket to a show, sometomes they use some of my images on their homepage.

So, i'd like to get an EOS-M4 (or even better a very compact FF MILC) with EVF and a compact, native 80/2.0 or f/2.8 short tele to go with it. I have no interest in macro (lenses) or more wide-angle primes. 22/2 is all i need (plus sometimes the 11-22) - the 22/2 is good enough, small enough and inconspicuous enough to not be considere "professional gear" by even the most ignorant security staff. :)

I go to a fair number of shows here in southern California. Even in the smaller venues, detachable lens rigs are a certain way to have to schlep back to your car and put your rig away. You might be able to sneak in a Nikon 1 mirrorless rig, but no bigger. To security, they're trained to see a lens bolted on a camera and say "No."

I think this is the rare case where the non-heavily-protruding fixed lens camera is the only play. Larger sensored fixed lens rigs -- Fuji X100, Ricoh GR, Nikon Coolpix A, etc. -- would sneak right past security as a point and shoot to them.

This is also the rare case where a phone lens module style camera like the Sony Q or DXO One might make sense. I still think they are poor products, but hey -- for concerts, they'd work.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Where i live, i could get into any venue so far with EF-M plus kit lens mounted. And a very compact EF-M 80/2.4 IS STM would also work. They typically cannot spot the lens is removable. But they know a DSLR. Advantage of EOS-M (especially M, M2 and M10) or a Sony A6000 or a Fuji XE2 etc. is the rangefinder/p&s style form factor without central "pseudo prism hump" on top. Fuji XT-1 or Sony A7 already are on the large side and look too much like a DSLR with that central (EVF) hump. That's one of the reasons why I'd prefer an EOS M4 in the Sony A6000 form factor - and with EF-M mount, of course. To mount a nice supercompact EF-M short tele lens with IS onto ... :)

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:

What does security think of, say, the SX60? It has a protruding lens...

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
LonelyBoy said:
What does security think of, say, the SX60? It has a protruding lens...

well, it's more, what does the SX60 say in very low light ... @ ISO 6400 ? ;) :D

In terms of size: it needs to be as small, inconspicuous and point'n-shooty-looking in "parking position" to get through. If the lens does not extend all the way immediately upon switching the camera on, it may even pass notorious camera checks with Frankfurt or Munich airport security ... "switch it on!"... "now take a picture!" .. "no, not of me! Do you want to go to jail, stupid terrorist?" :p ;D

Upvote 0
anehili said:
for me i would like to have EF-M 15-50 2.8.
more prime lenses is what needed to let canon stay on the mirorless game

I would like this also, but constant f/2.8 zoom would be fairly large and heavy. I use my 24-70 f/2.8 II on my M5 occasionally, but its doesn't balance well. a 15-50 would be smaller and no EF-M adapter, also a more useful focal range.

Upvote 0