More on the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV in 2016 [CR2]

Mar 22, 2016
ahsanford said:
Forgive my confusion -- I mean no disrespect, but I just don't understand your need for 10 fps silent shooting.

Upon reading my post... I see how it could be taken the way you saw it.

I don't believe weddings typically need 10 fps. The point was that some people want 10 fps in the new 5D but others will want the silent shutter retained. One of the big benefits that I see the 5D series having over the 1D is the silent shutter. Will the 5D lose this benefit if the shutter speed gets pushed to 10 fps?

I am just wondering if a FF with 10 fps is physically possible while also having a good silent shutter.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Dverb said:
Upon reading my post... I see how it could be taken the way you saw it.

I don't believe weddings typically need 10 fps. The point was that some people want 10 fps in the new 5D but others will want the silent shutter retained. One of the big benefits that I see the 5D series having over the 1D is the silent shutter. Will the 5D lose this benefit if the shutter speed gets pushed to 10 fps?

I am just wondering if a FF with 10 fps is physically possible while also having a good silent shutter.

Clarification appreciated! Very helpful.

I don't know shutter design well enough to comment, but here are a few examples to consider:

5D3 = FF = 6 fps loud / 3 fps silent
7D2 = Crop = 10 fps loud / 4 fps silent
1DX II = FF = 14-16 fps loud / 5 fps silent (If I understand the manual correctly)

That last entry is the key one, I think. The 1DX II has a FF silent shooting mode that clears 10 fps when it is turned off. So in my mind, it's not a question of technical feasibility so much as cost.

- A

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
neuroanatomist said:
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Sony is churning out upgrades every year or two, and dropping models and discontinuing service almost as fast. They need to start providing service and stop discontinuing models after 3 or 4 years. When you can't get service after 4 years for a $3500 camera, its going to shock a lot of people.

Not to worry. Sony releases such technologically astounding new models so frequently that no self-respecting Sony user could live with themselves if using a camera even 18 months old, let alone a decrepit 4 year old piece of garbage not even suitable for a trash heap. Or so I've learned reading this forum. ::)

Sony: The Plymouth Horizon of the camera world. Don't repair, just replace is the business model.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
ahsanford said:
Maiaibing said:
gmon750 said:
It has always been every four years between model refreshes.

Not at all. Compared to 5D/5DII and 5DII/5DIII the 5DIV is overdue.

This has come up a bunch of times in this thread. Let's get some data, eh? See below.

Announcement dates are from Wikipedia (those ought to be right on the day), release dates are from google searches (might be off a few days). For good measure, I've crudely stabbed at the 5D4 dates for a swag of how long the wait would be in total.

So yes, they are slightly slow in this refresh, though that might have something to do with...

• The creation of the 6D line
  • The 'side-refresh' the 5DS rigs represented
  • The rise of Cinema EOS

I'm no Canon apologist, but the FF camera space was a tad less complicated before the 5D3 was released, wasn't it?

- A

Now you can extrapolate, we know when the 5D MK V will arrive, should anyone care to wait :)

I think that 3-4 years is a good interval between models, Canon has previously stated that they want to wait until significant improvements are ready, but I'll bet that the new CEO is telling managers to make that happen faster.

We'll see if that takes.

I'll wait 6 months or 9 months for the price to drop. I bought a 5D MK III from Adorama for $3500 which was shipped in the first batch and arrived about the first of April 2012. I bought a second one also from Adorama for $2750 in early September of 2012 for $2750 and received a free Canon LP-E6 battery. That's only 6-7 months later and $850 less.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
they are slightly slow in this refresh, though that might have something to do with...

• The creation of the 6D line
  • The 'side-refresh' the 5DS rigs represented
  • The rise of Cinema EOS

I'm no Canon apologist, but the FF camera space was a tad less complicated before the 5D3 was released, wasn't it?

"Slightly slow" seems somewhat an understatement - as your table reflects. Canon has previously acknowledged that being slow in getting new bodies into the market has cost them sales so I am not sure they are quite comfortable with the timing of the 5DIV. Personally I think they are working very hard to ensure the 5DIV represents a somewhat significant jump up from the 5DIII. There's certainly a lot that can and must be done to command a 3.500 price tag if Canon wants to aim for that.

Upvote 0
mrlebeau315 said:
If Sony announces an upgrade to their a7*II series this year, I think they just might take my $3,500 before Canon has an opportunity to. Let's see if Canon or Sony wants my money more.

Oh no you didnt just say that. You shut up you hear me? :)

I wish there was a rule that allowed reporting such blasphemy to moderators

Upvote 0
I have to agree that releasing the 5D mk IV in September, scheduling the shipping in October/November is just wrong, misplaced, a big mistake from Canon. 5D IV is supposed to be an "all around" camera aiming wedding, wildlife, landscape photographers and the list goes on and on. By late autumn, most of the events are gone, so by that late release most of us will only be able to start using the 5D successor practically in early 2017. And I'm not buying that "we want to make sure that improvents are incremental to make the upgrade worthy" bullshit. They had 4 years, while other brands stole the show (Sony mostly).

I am interested mostly in wildlife and I had high hopes to use the 5D IV for the deer rut in September, October. Instead I will be stuck with my recent (decent) 6D as IQ, GPS, Wifi, low light capabilities are the most important for me. In other words, if I don't want to compromise the those features above, I can only switch to 5x more expensive rig, the 1DXII, which I can obviously not afford.

Anyway, I still have my fingers crossed for and early Summer 5D release...

Upvote 0
I would expect from the next generation of 5D... to be a cutting edge camera.
At least, for video, it should keep a decent position (dehind Panasonic and Sony, but very close to Nikon) for the next 3-4 years.
I look at it as a 4 year investment. In 2020, it still should be a good camera.
And I'm afraid, going with 4k/60p - 1080p/120p wouldn't be enough for 2020, but it might be for now...
A ~3.000.000 ISO it would be desirable, but who knows?
I'll put my money aside till October... And then I'll decide who follows my interests and who deserves my money.
Metabones is an option.

Upvote 0
A thought has just crossed my mind...

Why should Canon care at all about when is wedding season, or any other kind of season (wildlife, whatever) in the USA to plan the announcement or release of a camera, when in other parts of the world their respective seasons happen to occur in totally different periods of the year? Some of the most densely populated countries calibrate their seasons on the basis of the monsoon, some other countries happen to have no seasons at all because it's "season" any time of the year... how can there be a right or wrong timing by Canon's point of view?

Just a thought...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
pierlux said:
A thought has just crossed my mind...

Why should Canon care at all about when is wedding season, or any other kind of season (wildlife, whatever) in the USA to plan the announcement or release of a camera, when in other parts of the world their respective seasons happen to occur in totally different periods of the year? Some of the most densely populated countries calibrate their seasons on the basis of the monsoon, some other countries happen to have no seasons at all because it's "season" any time of the year... how can there be a right or wrong timing by Canon's point of view?

Just a thought...

Because we're 'merica, dammit. ::)

Actually, based on CIPA data, shipments to Europe and North America account for about half of global ILC sales, so I think it makes sense for Canon to care. But that's one among many factors – things like production cycles, where they want a launch to fall with respect to their fiscal status, etc.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
When you can't get service after 4 years for a $3500 camera, its going to shock a lot of people.

Have no clue if this is the case for SONY service. But since Canon can get away stopping service for a $5.000 lens (original 200mm f/1,8) after 3 years maybe SONY just picked up on somebody else's bad idea.

Upvote 0
Well hi there. This is my first post here as I am new user. I was until a few days ago a Nikon owner but I have sold all the equipment in order to do the switch to Canon 8) I was pretty sure that the camera I needed was 5DMK3 with a 24-105 L f/4 lens and a 600EX-RT flash. My budget is kind of limited to around 3000 EUROS. Is this a good choice? I don't really think I can wait until September to buy the new model! Any opinions? I have no idea or whatsoever on Canon products. Sorry... ??? Any guidance will be helpful!

Regards,

Athos.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
tendeadpixels said:
Well hi there. This is my first post here as I am new user. I was until a few days ago a Nikon owner but I have sold all the equipment in order to do the switch to Canon 8) I was pretty sure that the camera I needed was 5DMK3 with a 24-105 L f/4 lens and a 600EX-RT flash. My budget is kind of limited to around 3000 EUROS. Is this a good choice? I don't really think I can wait until September to buy the new model! Any opinions? I have no idea or whatsoever on Canon products. Sorry... ??? Any guidance will be helpful!

Regards,

Athos.

Of course it is a good choice. The 5DIII is at its lowest price ever and the basic combination with a 24-105 L lens and 600 EX-RT will get you a great start. The 5DIII remains one of the best cameras ever and will continue to be a great camera even after a new version is released.

Upvote 0

j-nord

Derp
Feb 16, 2016
Colorado
tendeadpixels said:

Regards,

Athos.

I'm curious what made you switch if you don't know anything about canon products?

Also, you could save some money and buy a lightly used 5DIII and 24-105L. By the way, the Sigma 24-105 f4 Art lens is a good amount sharper (but with a bit more chromatic aberration) than the canon one, worth considering.

Upvote 0
tendeadpixels said:

Regards,

Athos.

If you live in the USA buy Canon Refurbished cameras and lens:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras#facet:-81036979833253683283101114105101115&productBeginIndex:0&orderBy:&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

My last three or four (lost count) Canon cameras were refurbished. All going strong.

Upvote 0
Well, this is a bit disappointing. Had hoped for a spring to early summer release.

Reality is Canon sticking to slow product refreshes may drive me over to Sony.

I have a few L Series lenses, but it does get frustrating when it's such a long delay between this and the Mark III. At least Sony refreshes their cameras about yearly, sometimes sooner.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Lurker said:
Canon will set the price based on the factors they deem significant.

Wait...you're saying that Canon won't consider the opinions of a few CR forum readers in that decision?!? :eek:

;)

Oh no no no. They won't consider the opinions of any of the insignificant members. The significant members will still be given consideration. :)

Upvote 0