More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

Canon shoots,-and scores!!! GOOOAAAAAALLL!

Wow. If this IS Lytro-style post processing abilities than this could be friggin cool! I guess it is tech that just has needed to be perfected and well I trust Canon to deliver a solidly designed, tested and implemented solution (Never had much faith in Lytro's total package -- was just a concept or a way to raise funding...).

Happy shooting y'alls

Upvote 0
In Lytro founder Ren Ng's 2005 paper [1] (specifically Section 3), the hardware they describe is basically having a bunch of photosites behind of each microlens instead of one photosite per microlens like you have in a normal camera. The prototype they built had 144 photosites (12x12) behind each micro lens.

In DPAF, you now have two photosites behind each microlens. Hence I am guessing that you can actually recover a bit of detail using computational photography (nowhere near the extent of the Lytro of course).

Finally, they also claim that under ideal conditions, if you have NxN photosites under a microlens, you can recover up to N stops of depth of field. Since we have only 2 in DPAF, probably 1/3rd to 1/2 a stop worth of adjustment at best.

[1]: https://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/lfcamera/lfcamera-150dpi.pdf

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Jack Douglas said:
rcarca said:
Any thoughts on what this might mean: Camera in the DLO (Digital Lens Optimiser)? Is this in-camera AFMA??? (Excuse total ignorance on my part!)

This is probably DPP's lens optimized sharpening but done in camera.

Yep, but it's more than just sharpening. It uses knowledge about the lens and low-pass filter OTF (optical transfer function) to smartly correct for various aberrations, diffraction, and the softening caused by the LPF.

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
rcarca said:
Sounds better and better to me: http://www.cameraegg.org/updated-detail-specs-of-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv/

This Dual Pixel malarkey sounds great even muffled through poor translation!

Also, I think this "AF 61 points. Corresponding to F8 in all of the distance measuring point. -3EV Corresponding (at the time of live view -4EV)" means that we get a LOT better f8 focussing than just the centre point. Having needed that only last night, that is big news to me, especially if combined with better, usable high ISO.

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
Sharlin said:
Jack Douglas said:
rcarca said:
Any thoughts on what this might mean: Camera in the DLO (Digital Lens Optimiser)? Is this in-camera AFMA??? (Excuse total ignorance on my part!)

This is probably DPP's lens optimized sharpening but done in camera.

Yep, but it's more than just sharpening. It uses knowledge about the lens and low-pass filter OTF (optical transfer function) to smartly correct for various aberrations, diffraction, and the softening caused by the LPF.

Your various explanations just make it sound better and better!

Upvote 0
THE pre-order moment:

"Dual Pixel RAW: record one normal RAW file as well as a Dual Pixel RAW file. You can then use Canon’s Digital Photo Professional and have access to three new post processing techniques listed below:

Image Micro-adjustment: by using the depth information, fine adjustment enables the position of the maximum sharpness and resolution
Bokeh Shift: to change the position of the previous blur (original: re-positions the viewpoint of foreground bokeh for a more pleasing result)
Ghosting Reduction: reduces the ghost and flare"

:p

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
yoms said:
Does this dual pixel DPRAW mean it's only available when shooting in LiveView???
I'd like tone able to correct focus error when shooting fast primes through the OVF...
It's a dual pixel sensor. When using the OVF, the mirror flips up, shutter opens and light hits the sensor. It's just a question of recording the raw data from 30mp or the raw data with even less pre-processing from 60mp. What is recorded has nothing to do with which AF system was used to acquire focus.

Upvote 0
Pleasant surprises:

# LCD tone adjustment (warm / standard / cool1 / cool2) - hopefully this results in more realistic colours (closer to monitor colours)
# -3EV center point (-4EV in liveview) - better focusing in low light
# 150,000-pixel RGB + IR metering sensor (same metering sensor as 7D2) - more accurate metering
# Mirror vibration control system (MVCS) - nice, first seen in 5DS/R :)
# Battery: LP-E6N / LP-E6 :)
# Weight: 800g (60g lighter than mkiii) :)

#4k video 8bit 500mbps MJPEG 4:2:2 - does this mean 17 mins for 64gb card?! :(
# FullHD video Full HD: ALL-I - hopefully much better than 5D3 footage

Upvote 0

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
frankchn said:
In Lytro founder Ren Ng's 2005 paper [1] (specifically Section 3), the hardware they describe is basically having a bunch of photosites behind of each microlens instead of one photosite per microlens like you have in a normal camera. The prototype they built had 144 photosites (12x12) behind each micro lens.

In DPAF, you now have two photosites behind each microlens. Hence I am guessing that you can actually recover a bit of detail using computational photography (nowhere near the extent of the Lytro of course).

Finally, they also claim that under ideal conditions, if you have NxN photosites under a microlens, you can recover up to N stops of depth of field. Since we have only 2 in DPAF, probably 1/3rd to 1/2 a stop worth of adjustment at best.

[1]: https://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/lfcamera/lfcamera-150dpi.pdf

Canon actually has patent for 5x5 photosites for each microlens. They probably didn't use it for 5DIV.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I've long said that Light Field technology could revolutionize photography. If Canon has found a way to incorporate some of that into the 5D IV that's huge. It will be very interesting to learn the details.

One thing I wonder about - since this is a new software implementation of dual pixel sensors, would it not be possible for Canon to add this feature to any existing dual pixel body? Not saying they will, but it seems like they could.

Upvote 0
rushfan21122 said:
Specs:
Media: SDXC / SDHC / SD, CompactFlash Type II

In the most recent batch of information it was "confirmed" that the 5d4 will have normal CF cards and there was a lot of discussion surrounding this. Many users wanted CF, while others wanted CF2.
Now the spec list suddenly states CF2 and i don't see this having been discussed in this thread?

Is "CompactFlash Type II" the new standard in CF, that the 1DX II is using, or am i misunderstanding something here?

Personally i have sunk little money into CF (bought a few 32gb ones directly from the manufacturer in China so i got them cheap) and would prefer CF2, as that means that CF2 prices will start dropping and i also think it sends positive signals that camera manufacturers keep up with technology.

The community is still undecided on which modern CF standard to go for (Nikon's DS5 uses a different CF technology than 1DX II) so the first big manufacturer to release a "pro mainstream" camera, e.g. the 5D4, will probably win the debate.

Upvote 0