Most rented photography & videography gear of 2019 according to Lensrentals

Now, now, now...

I don't use Sony equipment, and I continue to use Canon. But... there are plenty of smart and talented photographers who choose to use Sony equipment, and they tell me that they like it quite a bit.

On the other hand, among them are a few angry Brand Wars Soldiers who spend their days dissing Canon. I don't think we want to start following their lead, right?
yeah,paid from sony to recomand those cameras.bla,bla,bla

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2014
The only lead, I believe we should follow, is the experience many Sony shooters themselves have had with broken lenses, decentered copies, low-light hunting, plastic filter threads, a lot of copy variance in general and so on. The poorer, in comparison to Canon/Nikon, build quality of the Sony lenses is something that is out there. And, as I said, it mostly comes from Sony shooters. I'm not making this up. So, even if plenty of skilled people have been happy so far with the system, the opposite experience is also plenty enough for me to stay away.
I suppose you have valid evidence to prove this is a widespread problem?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
There is a saying. "Jack of all trades, but master of none."
Your post confirms this.
Canon is saying that if you are a serious pro then we have real products to meet the true professional needs you might have.
The a7III might have bells and whistles that fascinate bloggers. If you get serious doing video then you want something for serious video.
Pros use the 1DX II for a reason and it is not for their serious video productions. It is for serious sports, hostile environments etc. not a a7III.

Jeah this is certainly true. Though we did use the 1DX II for quite a lot video productions. Especially on events its awesome :) The 4k60 Image quality and AF on a gimbal works perfect and produced a lot of great footage :)

But for many people like advanced amateurs, freelancers in the "medium quality area" or students the budget is a a limiting factor.

The comparison is very difficult:
Sony a7 III with Tamron 28-70 -> about 2500€
-> Good Photo quality which will satisfy most clients, and also good 4k video quality on a nice fullframe sensor with a lot of features.

At Canons side you need the following, if you want to have the same or better performance:
Canon 5D IV, Canon 24-70 or something: 3900€ or something.
-> Resulting in a bit better Photo quality butno useable 4k video.
+ Canon C200 or Canon 1DX II: 6000€ (+ accessories and no IBIS, so maybe you need a gimbal).
----> So you end up with an investment of 10.000€ or more

Sony offers a performance which may lack a little bit here and there - but its not so much that any client would ever be unhappy with the photos or video you deliver in the end.

Sony may not have the BEST offer, but its MUCH more bang for the bucks and a way more versatile offer at a lower price point :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
The ef 24-70mm f/2.8L II. Many of us were excited when it came out, but there have been so many new products, and so many changes to how and where we display our images, that I'd forgotten just how great, how useful this workhorse is to a huge range of photographers.

I should not have been surprised it is number one. It gets the job done!

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2019
Jeah this is certainly true. Though we did use the 1DX II for quite a lot video productions. Especially on events its awesome :) The 4k60 Image quality and AF on a gimbal works perfect and produced a lot of great footage :)

But for many people like advanced amateurs, freelancers in the "medium quality area" or students the budget is a a limiting factor.

The comparison is very difficult:
Sony a7 III with Tamron 28-70 -> about 2500€
-> Good Photo quality which will satisfy most clients, and also good 4k video quality on a nice fullframe sensor with a lot of features.

At Canons side you need the following, if you want to have the same or better performance:
Canon 5D IV, Canon 24-70 or something: 3900€ or something.
-> Resulting in a bit better Photo quality butno useable 4k video.
+ Canon C200 or Canon 1DX II: 6000€ (+ accessories and no IBIS, so maybe you need a gimbal).
----> So you end up with an investment of 10.000€ or more

Sony offers a performance which may lack a little bit here and there - but its not so much that any client would ever be unhappy with the photos or video you deliver in the end.

Sony may not have the BEST offer, but its MUCH more bang for the bucks and a way more versatile offer at a lower price point :)

Why would you pair sony with cheaper lens as price comparison?

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Why would you pair sony with cheaper lens as price comparison?
Just picked it because its such a famous option around budget oriented videographers. Even if I pick the pricier 24-70 GM (which I own and find it just as good as the Canon 24-70L) the comparison still holds up. Its the WAY cheapter All-in-one optione for photo and video production that Canon does not offer at all. :)
However, I like both brands, all these cameras have there place and are certainly great tools for most jobs =)

Upvote 0
yeah,paid from sony to recomand those cameras.bla,bla,bla

Heh. Still waiting for my check though. And it has been years. Can you talk to Sony and the others and encourage them to cut those checks for me? ;-)

Meanwhile, in the real world...

I know outstanding photographers (depending on what kind of photography you do, you may know of them, too) who use Canon, Fujifilm, Olympus, Sony, Nikon and other brands. All of them have fine reasons for their particular choices, and all use whatever gear they select to make excellent photography.

Earlier this week I was in the field with a group of these folks, and among them were people using gear from almost all of those brands — friends shooting side-by-side, talking photography, with utterly none of this dumb brand animosity. (One good friend was working two cameras, one Canon and one Sony. I was using Canon and Fujifilm. Another was shooting a Nikon system.)

The whole My Brand Is The Only Brand nonsense gets really old, really fast. It is even dumber that dividing into warring camps over things like:

coffee or tea?

Coke or Pepsi?

Toyota or Honda?

Hot dogs or hamburgers?

It is fine to recognize and discuss brand and model differences, but becoming so personally invested in this that one comes to hate folks who make a different choice is just plain nuts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0