Motion Blur (on purpose) in Sports Photos

I love motion blur and do quite a bit of it. However I do not photograph sports, so I will refrain from posting off topic pics. It seems to me most professional sports photos are frozen high speed shutter images. Personally I would like to see more slow shutter shots in sports.

Although I do not condone bull fighting, the photo posted above is very dramatic.

Upvote 0
Love working in the rain, low light or both for exactly this reason, though it is a lot less expensive and much more rewarding now than when shooting KR64 in 36 exposure rolls!!

Attachments

• KHC 2014 Presentation set RD 68.jpg
    KHC 2014 Presentation set RD 68.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 248
  • KHC 2014 Presentation set RD 148.jpg
    KHC 2014 Presentation set RD 148.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 260
  • KHC 2014 Presentation set RD 75.jpg
    KHC 2014 Presentation set RD 75.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 256
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
Most of my slow shutter shots are done at between 1/30th to 1/60th of a sec. The steeplechase water jump is always guaranteed to provide some action. In the second one I pulled down the contrast clarity and saturation looking for a painted type effect.

Attachments

• Melbourne Uni 08.jpg
    Melbourne Uni 08.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 254
  • Vs Sunshine Druids (6 of 53).jpg
    Vs Sunshine Druids (6 of 53).jpg
    600.2 KB · Views: 261
Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
I shot this image at a Graffiti Art Installation at The Museum of the City of New York (sorry. It's not sports)...those are all spray-paint cans in the background. I also did not shoot this with my Canon system.
I shot it with a camera with IBIS. IBIS was on. I think that the IBIS caused the effect on the subject as it is not a straight "expected" blur... Interesting though. I shot slow and the IBIS froze the paint cans...but it gave this wonderful "rubberized" effect to my dapper subject!

Attachments

• Motion Blur.jpg
    Motion Blur.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This reminds me of the best of Steve Behr. He was (and maybe still is) the photographer for Mountain Biking UK when I was growing up and I always just took his work for granted until they did a feature on him and his techniques, no digital back in those days.. and I guess that was one small stone unturned on the journey of me taking my photography more seriously.

Upvote 0