Moving to 6D from 5DII

Status
Not open for further replies.
junkwerks said:
RLPhoto said:
That won't be much of an upgrade over the 5D2, Save alittle more for a 5D3.

That's what I'm looking for: Is the move from a 5DII to a 6D an upgrade or not? Or in my case, do you save the money on getting the once raved about proven performer or go with the new?

Yes, it is an upgrade. In this chart (The-Digital-Picture) you can see the 6D improvements over the 5D mkII in red. Do those improvements justify the move? only you can decide.

http://media.the-digital-picture.com/Images/Other/Canon-EOS-6D-Digital-SLR-Camera/Canon-EOS-6D-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
junkwerks said:
RLPhoto said:
That won't be much of an upgrade over the 5D2, Save alittle more for a 5D3.

That's what I'm looking for: Is the move from a 5DII to a 6D an upgrade or not? Or in my case, do you save the money on getting the once raved about proven performer or go with the new?

I think the move would depend on what you were shooting. If your AF isn't having to track moving subjects, and you're using low ISO's I doubt there will be much difference unless features such as the electronic chromatic aberration correction improves overall IQ.

But if you were shooting moving subjects and needing to use high ISO's my guess would be that this camera is in a different league to the MK2.

Upvote 0
Ive owned a 5Dii for 4 years and am still keeping it, mainly for diving. I have also been shooting with the 6D for nearly 2 weeks now. There are 3 main differences you are getting with the 6D:

1. Better Central Focus Square
2. Better High ISO Noise
3. Wifi Tethering

Granted there are a few other differences here and there, but in my opinion, and it is only my opinion, these three are the biggest. Is it worth the extra $300?

Ive also posted a video on Youtube showing side by side comparisons of the 5Dii vs 6D with ISO noise in low light:

Canon 6D vs 5DII - Is the 6D worth the extra cost & why? Comparison Tutorial

And have focus speed tests on my blog: www.michaelthemaven.com

M

Upvote 0
MichaelTheMaven said:
Ive owned a 5Dii for 4 years and am still keeping it, mainly for diving. I have also been shooting with the 6D for nearly 2 weeks now. There are 3 main differences you are getting with the 6D:

1. Better Central Focus Square
2. Better High ISO Noise
3. Wifi Tethering

Granted there are a few other differences here and there, but in my opinion, and it is only my opinion, these three are the biggest. Is it worth the extra $300?

Ive also posted a video on Youtube showing side by side comparisons of the 5Dii vs 6D with ISO noise in low light:

Canon 6D vs 5DII - Is the 6D worth the extra cost & why? Comparison Tutorial

And have focus speed tests on my blog: www.michaelthemaven.com

M

Great video! I'm really liking the 6D!

Upvote 0
Michael,

In the ISO video test can you tell if the noise performance is better because of any default camera setting? The noise does appear better with the 6D compared to the 5DIII but the picture also to me appears softer. Is it possible that the default noise reduction is set higher than the 5dIII?

Or maybe this is a better way to ask the question - can the noise reduction be set on the 5DIII so that image quality is the same as what you show on the 6D? (Might be a dumb question - I don't mess with video).

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
Sporgon said:
I think the move would depend on what you were shooting. If your AF isn't having to track moving subjects, and you're using low ISO's I doubt there will be much difference unless features such as the electronic chromatic aberration correction improves overall IQ.

But if you were shooting moving subjects and needing to use high ISO's my guess would be that this camera is in a different league to the MK2.

+1
I'll keep my 5D2 for now. 6D does not look like enough of an improvement at low ISO where I use it to be a compelling up/side-grade. OTOH, I need to look at some shots to see what the noise structure is like on the 6D. If it doesn't have the heavily banded noise my 5D2 adds to low ISO shots then it might be worthwhile for me to migrate to it as a low cost FF EOS body. Or just keep it around for well-lit studio shots where I won't ever have to push its files.
As it is, I have other, superior performing low ISO FF bodies to use when I need utmost IQ.

Upvote 0
junkwerks said:
Michael,

In the ISO video test can you tell if the noise performance is better because of any default camera setting? The noise does appear better with the 6D compared to the 5DIII but the picture also to me appears softer. Is it possible that the default noise reduction is set higher than the 5dIII?

Or maybe this is a better way to ask the question - can the noise reduction be set on the 5DIII so that image quality is the same as what you show on the 6D? (Might be a dumb question - I don't mess with video).

Good question. It was set to Standard Noise Reduction on all 4 cameras I tested. (5Dii, 5Diii, Nikon D600, Canon 6D)

I also got the RAW plugins today that allow me to open the 6D RAW files in PS & LR, Im checking out the banding, etc, and it looks like the 6D is about a stop better than the 5Diii. 5Diii starts to fall apart at 6400, 6D is comparable at 12800. Ill redo the test and actually post the files for everyone to look at for themselves so they can judge.

M

Upvote 0
5D2 -> 5D3
rebel -> either 5D2, 6D, 7D/2
7D -> either 5D3 or 7D/2

Depending on your purpose these might change. A 5D2 to 6D seems not a very big upgrade. However if you're in a business and 5D2 is enough for most of the things you do and it's already near breaking point, an upgrade to 6D isn't unimaginable. Let your purpose/goal decide what's truly an upgrade for you and not just because whatever has better specs.

Upvote 0
Well I HAVE moved from 5D II to 6D, and for my uses, it's a no-brainer. The 5D III might be a brilliant camera, but it's heavier and the grip is larger - it's much less comfortable to use for me personally. The 6D saves some weight and feels perfect in my hands. I don't need the fanciest AF system going, but I DO need it to work accurately in very low light from time to time. I do need WiFi - well, perhaps "need" is a little strong, but it's very, very useful to me. I do want GPS. I do need high ISO fairly often. All in all, the 6D resolves pretty much all of the issues I've had with the 5D II - including position of the main On/Off switch.

Upvote 0
Just had a chance to play with the 6D earlier today at the local Canon service center. After comparing with the 5D3 on the same shelf, the 6D definitely is a bit smaller overall (especially the grip part is slightly bit thinner than the 5D3).

However, there's one thing that really turned me away from the 6D... No joystick!!! Argh!!! :'(

Upvote 0
One small thing that I really like is the 6D mode selection dial will spin 360 degrees in either direction.

No more stop lock at the end gap forcing one to reverse the dial and go all the way back around. This is maddening on the 60D where you have to spin it almost a full 360 back the other way if you are in Av or M and want to go to Movie mode. Very silly when the movie mode was only 2 or 3 direct clicks away if the stop lock didn't "divide" the top and bottom of the list.

Upvote 0
ronderick said:
Just had a chance to play with the 6D earlier today at the local Canon service center. After comparing with the 5D3 on the same shelf, the 6D definitely is a bit smaller overall (especially the grip part is slightly bit thinner than the 5D3).

However, there's one thing that really turned me away from the 6D... No joystick!!! Argh!!! :'(

It's taken me less than a whole week to realise that that's actually an improvement...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.