Multiple New Diffracitve Optics Lenses Coming from Canon in 2018 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-ef-600mm-f4-do-br-at-canon-expo/">learned about the development of the EF 600mm f/4 DO IS</a> way back  in September 2015 at the Canon EXPO in New York City.</p>
<p>We’re being told that one or two additional DO lens is being developed alongside the EF 600mm f/4 DO IS and the plan is to announce them in late August 2018 ahead of Photokina 2018 in Cologne, Germany.</p>

<p>We’re not sure how well the EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS sold, but I haven’t seen too many of them in peoples kits over the years. A replacement doesn’t make too much sense to us. It definitely wasn’t a bad lens, but I don’t think it was good enough or small enough to justify a purchase once the space saving 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS was announced.</p>
<p>As always, lenses can be hard to nail down as far as announcement time frames go, but we’ll keep asking.</p>
<p><em>More to come….</em></p>
<p><em>image credit // <a href="http://www.popphoto.com/canon-is-working-on-600mm-do-br-telephoto-lens-with-its-latest-optical-tech">popphoto</a></em></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Knowing nothing about optical engineering myself, my gut instinct is that a zoom is harder to design with DO than a fixed telephoto. But then again their first DO was a 70-300, so what do I know?

My guess, however, is still that they will be fixed telephoto lenses. This is where the size reduction of DO will be needed anyway. However I cannot afford any of their current supertelephoto lenses and when these are announced it will be that many more lenses I cannot afford.

Upvote 0
Canon takes too long to release its 600mm DO... It does not stop being repulsed, it is very disappointing.

I mainly do photography without a freehand tripod, a weight less than 2.5 Kg is essential for me. I'm afraid the 600 mm DO is heavier... but I still have some hope that they arrive at a weight of 2.5 Kg.

I hope that we will not have to wait another 3-4 years to see a 500mm DO F4 with a lightweight to come on the market !

I'm also looking forward to the release (but less impatient that the 500mm DO F4 and 600mm DO F4) of a 24-70 mm F2.8 IS, 70-200mm F2.8 IS DO, 100mm F2.8 macro IS II not in plastic.

In my opinion Canon takes too long to renew its lenses.They have many range of lenses, EF-S, EF-M, Full Size. I would prefer that they simplify the range of production by removing for example the EF-S which are only compatible with APS-C and that their engineers work more on the development of lentils that make us dream...

If I were an APS-C customer and I had only optics of this type, I would be very disappointed not to be able to go to the full format while maintaining my lenses. It's still a risk that Canon will see customers then change brand due to dissatisfaction / frustration had purchased a product with limited compatibility of the APS-C lens.

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Another 70-300 would not be in Canon's best interest, I don't think. That range is covered fairly well with the inexpensive IS lens, and the L lens. The DO technology might be quite useful for a lightweight super-zoom like a 200-500 or 200-600 that can compete with the third party offerings in this range.

I had the 70-300 DO. Reasonably sharp, but the bokeh was awkward, and it tended to lose contrast in flare situations easily. The newer edition of DO technology is much better in this respect, as witnessed by the 400 DO II.

Upvote 0
Re: Multiple New Diffractive Optics Lenses Coming from Canon in 2018 [CR2]

My 100-400 II with 1.4x III TC is so good at 560mm, I think I'd jump into this long DO market if there were an 800mm for < $10k. I'm NOT anticipating that, but I'm just saying there is a sizable market that would enter the fray if they were to attempt to goose the volume.

The difference between the currency balances between now and when the Mark II big whites were released might actually get close to this. More likely, they'll price them at just about the same level as the existing entries.

My wish: A 6-pound 800mm F/8 DO IS for $9999.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
Would love it too. However, Nikon model has severe bokeh issues. If Canon can solve these it'll be a massive success.
Here's a wake up for you and most other 'hardcore'-type photographers:

99% of people don't look at things which aren't in focus, and bokeh does not matter.

Just like how sensor colour depth and tonal range doesn't matter. Just like how APD filters don't matter. Just like how 1:1 pixel-level sharpness doesn't really matter as long as something in the overall image is sharp.

Plenty of the best-selling lenses ever do not have good bokeh. Plenty of the most popular photos ever have nearly everything front-to-back in focus anyway. It doesn't matter if you're talking about the widest landscape lens or the tightest ultra-telephoto wildlife lens, or anything in between. People aren't looking at the blurry mush. They look at the person's face, or the food on the plate, or the bird, or the sunlight falling across the meadow, or whatever it is you've photographed.

Yes, the Nikon has a fresnel element which makes bokeh drop a little and background highlights take on busy ringlet patterns at smaller apertures. And nobody who sees any photo taken with it will ever care, and Canon could put out a similar lens with the exact same results and it'd be just as popular; and if they can, they absolutely should. (Though they will be hard-pressed to improve on the current 300mm f/4 IS other than in IS effectiveness and AF speed.)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
aceflibble said:
Maiaibing said:
Would love it too. However, Nikon model has severe bokeh issues. If Canon can solve these it'll be a massive success.
Here's a wake up for you and most other 'hardcore'-type photographers:

99% of people don't look at things which aren't in focus, and bokeh does not matter.

Just like how sensor colour depth and tonal range doesn't matter. Just like how APD filters don't matter. Just like how 1:1 pixel-level sharpness doesn't really matter as long as something in the overall image is sharp.

Plenty of the best-selling lenses ever do not have good bokeh. Plenty of the most popular photos ever have nearly everything front-to-back in focus anyway. It doesn't matter if you're talking about the widest landscape lens or the tightest ultra-telephoto wildlife lens, or anything in between. People aren't looking at the blurry mush. They look at the person's face, or the food on the plate, or the bird, or the sunlight falling across the meadow, or whatever it is you've photographed.

Yes, the Nikon has a fresnel element which makes bokeh drop a little and background highlights take on busy ringlet patterns at smaller apertures. And nobody who sees any photo taken with it will ever care, and Canon could put out a similar lens with the exact same results and it'd be just as popular; and if they can, they absolutely should. (Though they will be hard-pressed to improve on the current 300mm f/4 IS other than in IS effectiveness and AF speed.)

Can you provide studies to support your claim?

People who pay $1000 plus for a lens usually do care about the quality of the images.

Even smart phone users are paying attention to phones with better cameras, because they want better images.

You also claim that Nobody will care, even though many obviously do and have commented.

I think you are just speaking for yourself, and may be in the wrong forum, photographers do care.

Upvote 0