Multiple New Diffracitve Optics Lenses Coming from Canon in 2018 [CR2]

Phil995511 said:
I mainly do photography without a freehand tripod, a weight less than 2.5 Kg is essential for me. I'm afraid the 600 mm DO is heavier... but I still have some hope that they arrive at a weight of 2.5 Kg.

Not gonna happen.

Phil995511 said:
I'm also looking forward to the release [...] 100mm F2.8 macro IS II not in plastic.

Again, not gonna happen. But also, why? That lens's build quality is fine, and I've never seen anyone complain about it.

Phil995511 said:
If I were an APS-C customer and I had only optics of this type, I would be very disappointed not to be able to go to the full format while maintaining my lenses. It's still a risk that Canon will see customers then change brand due to dissatisfaction / frustration had purchased a product with limited compatibility of the APS-C lens.

Here we go again ::) I think they know their business pretty well, especially lenses.

Upvote 0
The current 100L is too heavy and long. No, just kidding. But it doesn't seem that sharp, compared to the Milvus 100 and the Sigma 135 Art. How's that for a complaint? I do enjoy using it with tubes, though.

scyrene said:
Phil995511 said:
I'm also looking forward to the release [...] 100mm F2.8 macro IS II not in plastic.

Again, not gonna happen. But also, why? That lens's build quality is fine, and I've never seen anyone complain about it.

Upvote 0
chrysoberyl said:
The current 100L is too heavy and long. No, just kidding. But it doesn't seem that sharp, compared to the Milvus 100 and the Sigma 135 Art. How's that for a complaint? I do enjoy using it with tubes, though.

scyrene said:
Phil995511 said:

Heh :) Well that would be a fair criticism, assuming it's correct. What focus distance are we talking about? Some 'sharp' standard/portrait lenses I've tried have been softer at miminum focus distance.

Upvote 0
The 100L MFD is 12", much closer than the Milvus 100 (17") and the Sigma 135 Art (35"). I like the 100L with ET's because of the resulting magnification. I rarely use the Sigma at MFD; as you state, it is not at its sharpest at MFD, so I use it at a minimum of ~4'.

scyrene said:
Heh :) Well that would be a fair criticism, assuming it's correct. What focus distance are we talking about? Some 'sharp' standard/portrait lenses I've tried have been softer at miminum focus distance.

chrysoberyl said:

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
chrysoberyl said:
The 100L MFD is 12", much closer than the Milvus 100 (17") and the Sigma 135 Art (35"). I like the 100L with ET's because of the resulting magnification. I rarely use the Sigma at MFD; as you state, it is not at its sharpest at MFD, so I use it at a minimum of ~4'.

scyrene said:

chrysoberyl said:

This is the 100L close up (not quite MFD), with no corrections of any sort. You're looking at 1:1 pixels of embroidery (thread) on fabric:

crEmbroidery-Sample_S.jpg

I'm not really sure how much sharper you could ask for!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Talys said:
chrysoberyl said:

scyrene said:

chrysoberyl said:

This is the 100L close up (not quite MFD), with no corrections of any sort. You're looking at 1:1 pixels of embroidery (thread) on fabric:

crEmbroidery-Sample_S.jpg

The 50mf1.4 is sharper across the frame at f5.6 than the 100 L macro. I didn't believe it when I got mine but my personal lenses agree with TDP results.

Upvote 0
Don't get me wrong - the 100L is definitely sharp! But comparing my copy to my other lenses, it is just not quite as sharp. This is an Asiatic Dayflower, and the blossom is 3/4".

Talys said:

Attachments

• Asiatic Dayflower (Commelina communis) 1.JPG
    Asiatic Dayflower (Commelina communis) 1.JPG
    811.4 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0