My hands on with the 1DXII

Diltiazem

Curiosity didn't kill me, yet.
Aug 23, 2014
173
30
Thanks for sharing. Do you have any ISO 100 or 200 by any chance?
Thanks.
 

rrcphoto

EOS 5D MK IV
Jun 20, 2013
2,505
147
Eldar said:
cgc said:
Thanks Eldar.

If you got a ISO 100 raw file, it would be possible to measure the sensor dynamic range using the masked pixels technique and a suitable decoder (like dcraw with some hacks).

ISO above 400 wouldn't be so interesting because it is likely that it will have not a huge improvement in dynamic range, but could serve to compare with another Canon cameras.

Please let me to know how we could fetch a CR2 file, preferably ISO 100. This sensor may start a new era in Canon and we are all very impatient!.
Sorry, the Canon guy reformatted my memory card, when we changed from raw to jpg, so non of them were saved.
oh that's a bummer .. want to try a undelete program? :)
 

Neutral

EOS RP
Oct 19, 2012
335
6
Eldar said:
mclaren777 said:
Yeah, you can probably recover those formatted files.
How?
This could be possibly done by file recovery utility provided with CF card (provided on the new card) or downloaded from manufacture site.
This could work well if files were just deleted, and media not formatted.
If no new files were written after that (old data is not overwritten with the new files) then possibly all could be recovered.
Basically all not overwritten files data could be restored.
Such utilities existed since MS DOS times.
If card was quick formatted (only directory structure deleted) then it is also possible to recover as files data is still on the card.
With full format it is not possible as all sectors are overwritten with some data and files recovery is not possible
 

takesome1

EOS 6D MK II
Aug 23, 2013
1,490
122
99
Licking, Missouri
Eldar said:
mclaren777 said:
Yeah, you can probably recover those formatted files.
How?

There are programs that will look for lost data. Some that claim you can recover after you formatted.
I have used a few over the years but not in the last two. So I wouldn't know which to recommend.
I will say proceed with caution when picking one. Free doesn't always mean free.
 

Neutral

EOS RP
Oct 19, 2012
335
6
Interesting, thank for sharing.
Looks as in camera NR was heavily applied.
But in general up to ISO 25600 looks not too bad.
Possibly using DXO PRIME noise reduction images up to ISO25600 could be quite usable.
Would be very interesting to check RAW files to see how much real ISO improvements is archived.
If one stop improvements then together with lower shadow noise this could be very noticeable and very tempting.
For me one stop improvements together with better AF, especially in low light ( together with other improvements) could make my mind to upgrade from 1DX to 1DX mark II.
Also DLO (which applies to RAW files) is very interesting - something like DXO lens softness correction in DXO Optic Pro but implemented in the camera itself.

Now also interesting if Sony will announce A9 pro level body before 1DXm2 shipping date (the same as A7r2 relative to 5DS).
Now when they are ready with new G-Master pro level lenses line and testing new fast AF on a6300 it seems that they paved ground for new A9.
I suspect that this might happen in April.
Competition might become more tight.
But for super fast and precise very low light AF I do not think that anything could be compared so far with dedicated AF module with dedicated AF processor. Definitely dedicated AF module could be designed with much higher sensitivity for low light and much higher SNR than on sensor DPAF.
 
Aug 11, 2010
402
30
Miami Beach
www.clicstudio.com
Hi thanx for sharing! This is pretty amazing. Considering they are jpgs, they look pretty awesome. Also I am happy not seeing any color noise specially in the blacks.. Impressive.
I think this is going to be a beast of a camera. let's see how the Dynamic Range is.

Cheers!
 

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
Aug 15, 2014
1,934
554
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Thanks Eldar! Files look really impressive. Granted it isn't RAW, but obviously things have cleaned up at least another stop. 12800 looks very nice. 6400 has been notably improved. Given where I mostly shoot the 1DX (3200-6400) this is really great news and I'm sure a lot of pros who use this camera are in a similar boat as I am
 

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
1,939
0
Singapore
SanDisk Rescue Pro Deluxe, works exceptionally well, I've recovered both Video & stills from SD & CF Cards that I had mistakenly reformatted in camera.

If the Card has been used since the reformat in camera the software will not rescue any Image that has been over written, it's gone.

If the Card has had a deep format on a computer, then everything has gone, for good.
 

Eldar

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 14, 2013
3,250
7
www.flickr.com
eml58 said:
SanDisk Rescue Pro Deluxe, works exceptionally well, I've recovered both Video & stills from SD & CF Cards that I had mistakenly reformatted in camera.

If the Card has been used since the reformat in camera the software will not rescue any Image that has been over written, it's gone.

If the Card has had a deep format on a computer, then everything has gone, for good.
Then they're gone. These images are not worth much anyway. I'll be happy to wait until April/May. I am confident that this camera is a significant improvement.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,710
880
Eldar said:
eml58 said:
SanDisk Rescue Pro Deluxe, works exceptionally well, I've recovered both Video & stills from SD & CF Cards that I had mistakenly reformatted in camera.

If the Card has been used since the reformat in camera the software will not rescue any Image that has been over written, it's gone.

If the Card has had a deep format on a computer, then everything has gone, for good.
Then they're gone. These images are not worth much anyway. I'll be happy to wait until April/May. I am confident that this camera is a significant improvement.
Even after more images have been taken, its very likely that most, if not all of the raws are still there, and any one of many file recovery programs can find them.

The firmware in the card spreads out writes to even up memory cell usage, so its unlikely that it wrote over the old files.

I don't know if the 1D MK II will do a low level format on a CF card, it will for a Cfast card.

Give it a try.
 

greger

7D
Jan 1, 2013
259
1
Thanks for posting this. The canon Rep. Reformatted you card so you couldn't post the raw files online. If you rescue them from the card and post them you may find yourself excluded from future events. I look forward to read what you think of the camera after getting it.
 

lclevy

I'm New Here
Feb 17, 2016
12
0
@Eldar

you can use PhotoRec to recover files: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Please, do you have RAW files ? I can try processing them with my tool: https://github.com/lclevy/libcraw2 (not yet public). check #libcraw2 on twitter

I did it for 5DS R before dcraw and Camera Raw:
https://twitter.com/lorenzo2472/status/582655943168679937

Kind regards,

Laurent (@lorenzo2472)
 

Larsskv

EOS 6D MK II
Jun 12, 2015
822
259
Even though I would love to see more raw files from the 1DXII, I think that trying to push Eldar to recover deleted files is wrong. He was trusted with the 1DXII and his own memory card, and I support him being loyal to those that gave him the opportunity.
 

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
382
11
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
Larsskv said:
Even though I would love to see more raw files from the 1DXII, I think that trying to push Eldar to recover deleted files is wrong. He was trusted with the 1DXII and his own memory card, and I support him being loyal to those that gave him the opportunity.
+1

As much as I would like to see RAW files now, I have to agree completely. Canon may still be working on some final tweaks to the camera (firmware) and it would not be wise to provide examples that might not accurately represent the camera's actual performance. We'll have the first production models in the hands of forum members in 2 months.
 

Eldar

EOS 5D MK IV
Jan 14, 2013
3,250
7
www.flickr.com
JMZawodny said:
Larsskv said:
Even though I would love to see more raw files from the 1DXII, I think that trying to push Eldar to recover deleted files is wrong. He was trusted with the 1DXII and his own memory card, and I support him being loyal to those that gave him the opportunity.
+1

As much as I would like to see RAW files now, I have to agree completely. Canon may still be working on some final tweaks to the camera (firmware) and it would not be wise to provide examples that might not accurately represent the camera's actual performance. We'll have the first production models in the hands of forum members in 2 months.
Thanks for your thoughts. I share your opinion and I would not feel totally comfortable trying to recover them.

The images may have provided some more insight into the actual performance of the camera, which I am sure many would dive into. However, we get to live through the last 2-3 months of waiting, before a 1D camera is released, only once every four years, so lets enjoy the wait and the childish anticipation it brings :)
 

3kramd5

EOS 5D MK IV
Mar 2, 2012
3,084
405
Neutral said:
Now when they are ready with new G-Master pro level lenses line and testing new fast AF on a6300 it seems that they paved ground for new A9.
I suspect that this might happen in April.
Competition might become more tight.
Maybe, but I don't see huge demand for a sports-oriented camera with such limited native telephoto glass available.

In a few years? Could be a different story.