My hands on with the 1DXII

I was invited to a Canon arrangement today and got to try out a beta-version of the camera. Naturally, there were more people than me there, so it was not exactly a scientific test. But I got to check out a few things. I did not have the time to check out how the camera was set up.

Silent shutter: Since a lot of people wonder what that will sound like, I can confirm that it is more silent than the 1DX, but more noisy than the 5DS/DSR.

The AF tracking in video looks very impressive. It locks on and tracks through in difficult terrain. I am not too interested in that, but it looked impressive. It might be that the 4k frame grab will be tempting though.

I was allowed to use one of my own memory cards and bring some files home. Not the most interesting environment to shoot in, but I wanted to check high ISO performance and see what they had done to shadow noise. The samples below are JPEG straight from the camera, only adjusted to fit the size restrictions of CR.

First is ISO409600 (useless as expected)

Attachments

• A87I9635.jpg
    A87I9635.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 894
Viggo said:
I was considering driving from Kristiansand to Oslo to have a look myself, but...

I think it's safe to say, I won't start to shoot jpeg any time soon. But the 51k and lower seems pretty good!

How did the af point spread look like compared to the 1dx?
You can see that they cover a larger area, but still some way to go before you have spread over image area as on the 7DII.

Upvote 0