My hands on with the 1DXII

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Eldar said:
The AF tracking in video looks very impressive. It locks on and tracks through in difficult terrain. I am not too interested in that, but it looked impressive. It might be that the 4k frame grab will be tempting though.
Thanks for bringing good news, I am interested mainly in that, especially in low light.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
Eldar said:
rrcphoto said:
thanks for sharing! you didn't by chance take any raws did you?
Yes I did, but I do not have any software to process them with.

ohh can you post them up somewhere?
Sorry, I did not bring them home, since I can do nothing with them. I don´t believe anyone else can either. Adobe, DPP, OnOne and all the others do not support it yet.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2015
Eldar said:
Sorry, I did not bring them home, since I can do nothing with them. I don´t believe anyone else can either. Adobe, DPP, OnOne and all the others do not support it yet.

Assuming they didn't completely change the file format you might have a chance with open source converters like rawtherapee. Might be that it fails to properly align the bayer matrix and masked pixels, but that would not be too much work to fix.

Upvote 0
wallstreetoneil said:
many thanks for the post

6400 looks ok at 1:1 in LR, after that it falls apart quickly

question, what lens where you using at 35mm - the Canon 24-70 F2.8 II?
It was the 35mm f1.4L II. But I suspect that they had not done AFMA on it.

I did a fast check, lifting shadows and applying a modest noise reduction. I believe it is possible to get very good results at a lot more than 6400. I have not tried on the reduced file sizes I posted here, but on the full size jpegs.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Looking at the images scaled to my 2560x1600 monitor, the 409600 may not be usable, but 204800, 102400, and 51200 might be quite useful in some applications - surveillance, tabloids ;D, ... - not everyone shoots portraits, landscapes, etc.

It will be interesting to see what we can do with the RAW files in post.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
Eldar said:
Act444 said:
Thanks for sharing!

One question - is the normal shutter quieter than on the 1DX?
It was in a room with quite a bit of noise, so I don´t have a very qualified opinion. I think it is a little bit more quiet, but I would have to have them side by side to be certain.

I see. Thanks.

Again I've been mulling over whether to make this leap, but the loudness of the 1D X shutter would make it unusable in quieter rooms where one doesn't want to make a huge disturbance. And with my experience with the 5D3 and 6D silent modes, the camera slows down quite a bit and lag time increases...the 7D2 has a nice "quiet" shutter though. The 5DS/R does too. Of course I use that word relatively speaking.

Upvote 0

cgc

Feb 9, 2016
Thanks Eldar.

If you got a ISO 100 raw file, it would be possible to measure the sensor dynamic range using the masked pixels technique and a suitable decoder (like dcraw with some hacks).

ISO above 400 wouldn't be so interesting because it is likely that it will have not a huge improvement in dynamic range, but could serve to compare with another Canon cameras.

Please let me to know how we could fetch a CR2 file, preferably ISO 100. This sensor may start a new era in Canon and we are all very impatient!.

Upvote 0

nvsravank

CR Pro
Feb 2, 2012
Hi Eldar,
Thanks for doing this. The smaller files look great at 12.8k ISO also. Can you post the actual full jpgs instead of the smaller ones here? Or can you crop to the size and then post that? I think noise characteristics change too much with image resize algorithms.

I already preordered, but impatient as others!
cgc said:
Thanks Eldar.

If you got a ISO 100 raw file, it would be possible to measure the sensor dynamic range using the masked pixels technique and a suitable decoder (like dcraw with some hacks).

ISO above 400 wouldn't be so interesting because it is likely that it will have not a huge improvement in dynamic range, but could serve to compare with another Canon cameras.

Please let me to know how we could fetch a CR2 file, preferably ISO 100. This sensor may start a new era in Canon and we are all very impatient!.

Upvote 0
cgc said:
Thanks Eldar.

Sorry, the Canon guy reformatted my memory card, when we changed from raw to jpg, so non of them were saved.

Upvote 0
Elder clearly canon doesn't want raws out either because they are still tuning the raws or for marketing. If memory serves the digital picture posted raws of it might have been the 5diii and they were worse than dii, but that was found later to be DPP's fault.

That said I'd be tempted to try a recovery program on one file.

Just saying, of course it might not be ethical to post such a thing, but I'd try it if even just for personal practice.

The jpegs you have posted do look good even up to 52000, to me. Glad you had the opportunity.

Oh i would have to differ with you about the 401k (see what I did there) image, many of the tags on the luggage are readable at this ISO which I think is remarkable in it's own right.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
nvsravank said:
Can you post the actual full jpgs instead of the smaller ones here? Or can you crop to the size and then post that? I think noise characteristics change too much with image resize algorithms.

I was able to get the full res (19.9mpix) jpegs from the original posts simply by clicking on the posted images and dragging them to my desktop.

Upvote 0