My hands on with the 1DXII

Jun 12, 2015
Re: My hands on with the 1DXI

Eldar said:
JMZawodny said:
Larsskv said:
Even though I would love to see more raw files from the 1DXII, I think that trying to push Eldar to recover deleted files is wrong. He was trusted with the 1DXII and his own memory card, and I support him being loyal to those that gave him the opportunity.

+1

As much as I would like to see RAW files now, I have to agree completely. Canon may still be working on some final tweaks to the camera (firmware) and it would not be wise to provide examples that might not accurately represent the camera's actual performance. We'll have the first production models in the hands of forum members in 2 months.
Thanks for your thoughts. I share your opinion and I would not feel totally comfortable trying to recover them.

The images may have provided some more insight into the actual performance of the camera, which I am sure many would dive into. However, we get to live through the last 2-3 months of waiting, before a 1D camera is released, only once every four years, so lets enjoy the wait and the childish anticipation it brings :)

Yes, those first JPGs looks very promising. Thank you for posting! We're looking forward to you getting the 1DXII. ;)

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
3kramd5 said:
Neutral said:
Now when they are ready with new G-Master pro level lenses line and testing new fast AF on a6300 it seems that they paved ground for new A9.
I suspect that this might happen in April.
Competition might become more tight.

Maybe, but I don't see huge demand for a sports-oriented camera with such limited native telephoto glass available.

In a few years? Could be a different story.

There's a good reason why Canon and Nikon have been leaders in sports photography since the 1970s. In the film era when every camera had the same "sensor" with the same dynamic range, ISO, etc., people wanted a strong lens line up and having those lenses definitely had a major impact on what brands succeeded. And since the '70s, you couldn't go far at major sporting events without seeing Canon's white lenses.

Also: Thanks Eldar for posting! I'm very excited to order a 1DXII soon. 51,200 looks super usable for print, and I think I'd be more than comfortable shooting 12,800 for sports. Seriously-- the detail in that 12,800 shot is incredible. Way better than my 5D3, that's for sure.

Upvote 0
Hi,

I do agree with this, thus I'll want until end of April for general 1DX Mark II availability to get RAW files.
My post was a technical answer to recover files, and I first missed the point Canon trusted Eldar to not keep RAW samples.

kind regards,

Laurent

Larsskv said:
Even though I would love to see more raw files from the 1DXII, I think that trying to push Eldar to recover deleted files is wrong. He was trusted with the 1DXII and his own memory card, and I support him being loyal to those that gave him the opportunity.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Eldar, did you say you get camera for few days?

If you don't mind (and I remember correctly), can you please check what frame rates are supported at different resolutions? The official says 4k60 and 1080p120, but I'm curious to get more details especially if there's e.g. 1080i240 or 720p240.

Naturally anyone else with 1DX2 on their hands can respond. I'm also somewhat curious on the video AF tracking for moving people, anyone seen actual tests on that? How it works, and how accurate it is? And does it do similar thing as 1DX on stills that after locking it starts to track it across the screen.

Upvote 0
tpatana said:

If you don't mind (and I remember correctly), can you please check what frame rates are supported at different resolutions? The official says 4k60 and 1080p120, but I'm curious to get more details especially if there's e.g. 1080i240 or 720p240.

Naturally anyone else with 1DX2 on their hands can respond. I'm also somewhat curious on the video AF tracking for moving people, anyone seen actual tests on that? How it works, and how accurate it is? And does it do similar thing as 1DX on stills that after locking it starts to track it across the screen.
I don't do video, so I did not check that very much and I do not know anything about framerates. However, the 1DXII manual is supposed to be down loadable now, so you can try that.

The AF tracking seems to be quite good. I did try that. I locked it on a person who moved around and it kept his face/head in focus across the screen without any problems. It even stayed on when others came in his way. I also locked it to a foxed object on a shelf and moved the camera. AF stayed on the target, even when I moved the camera quite fast. So, without having any experience with any pro video gear, I believe this is working rather well.

Upvote 0
asmundma said:
The benchmark for low light is the A7s2, that can work up to iso 50000.

You'd need at least a few caveats there. It might be (I haven't compared them), but are we talking per pixel, or normalised? And clearly 'full frame' is implied, as the 645z is surely better.

Incidentally, even if true, I'm not sure most people would be satisfied with 12MP any more.

~~~

Overall, I like these images, I feel the desire to get this camera growing... It's funny how people differ in what they consider acceptable noise, incidentally.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
scyrene said:
Incidentally, even if true, I'm not sure most people would be satisfied with 12MP any more.

Unfortunately you are right. Most people would not be satisfied with 12 MP because the uneducated and the ignorant drive the conversation (as in most topics, alas). I doubt most camera users print over 21" x 14", which would be about the size that a 12 MP FF camera can easily handle. Over the years, camera makers have been able to slowly increase the efficiency of the sensors (and the system as a whole) which allows them to add MPs and still retain or slightly increase the image quality. Imagine how much the IQ would have increased if they increased the sensor efficiency, but kept the MP count lower. Of course, that is what they try to do with the pro level cameras, but people still howl about how Canon can't innovate, is way behind. if they don't go up to "at least" 36 MP or more.

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Eldar said:
I was invited to a Canon arrangement today and got to try out a beta-version of the camera. Naturally, there were more people than me there, so it was not exactly a scientific test. But I got to check out a few things. I did not have the time to check out how the camera was set up.

Silent shutter: Since a lot of people wonder what that will sound like, I can confirm that it is more silent than the 1DX, but more noisy than the 5DS/DSR.

The AF tracking in video looks very impressive. It locks on and tracks through in difficult terrain. I am not too interested in that, but it looked impressive. It might be that the 4k frame grab will be tempting though.

I was allowed to use one of my own memory cards and bring some files home. Not the most interesting environment to shoot in, but I wanted to check high ISO performance and see what they had done to shadow noise. The samples below are JPEG straight from the camera, only adjusted to fit the size restrictions of CR.

First is ISO409600 (useless as expected)

Thank you Eldar

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Eldar said:
tpatana said:

I don't do video, so I did not check that very much and I do not know anything about framerates. However, the 1DXII manual is supposed to be down loadable now, so you can try that.

The AF tracking seems to be quite good. I did try that. I locked it on a person who moved around and it kept his face/head in focus across the screen without any problems. It even stayed on when others came in his way. I also locked it to a foxed object on a shelf and moved the camera. AF stayed on the target, even when I moved the camera quite fast. So, without having any experience with any pro video gear, I believe this is working rather well.

Hmm, spent some time with google but didn't find the manual. You have the link? (edit: ah, another thread, found)

And I meant AF tracking with the DPAF (during video). I'm sure the PDAF is nothing sort of stellar.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Ok, scanned the manual. Couple items I noted from there:

1: Couldn't find one single mention about 720p. Only 4k and 1080p were mentioned. Is it even capable of 720p?

2: 120 fps records for max 7m 29s (x4 = 30m)

3: No audio at 120fps

4: Will be recorded as 30fps, so it'll play back at 1/4 speed.

5: Camera might stop recording due to internal temperature

6: AF: DPAF face+tracking, flexizone (?), 5x/10x zoom available (but not during recording)

7: There's movie servo AF, which seems to say it'll track subject. But most tracking say about face-tracking. Would be curious to get more details on this.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
scyrene said:

Unfortunately you are right. Most people would not be satisfied with 12 MP because the uneducated and the ignorant drive the conversation (as in most topics, alas). I doubt most camera users print over 21" x 14", which would be about the size that a 12 MP FF camera can easily handle. Over the years, camera makers have been able to slowly increase the efficiency of the sensors (and the system as a whole) which allows them to add MPs and still retain or slightly increase the image quality. Imagine how much the IQ would have increased if they increased the sensor efficiency, but kept the MP count lower. Of course, that is what they try to do with the pro level cameras, but people still howl about how Canon can't innovate, is way behind. if they don't go up to "at least" 36 MP or more.

You're right up to a point. I mean, even my best pics are only uploaded to Flickr at 2000px wide, so nothing like 12MP. *But* for me, cropping is a very important part of most of my work, so more MP are very welcome. Even the 5D3 leaves something to be desired in that respect a lot of the time (would that the birds came closer, or there was an affordable, portable 2000mm lens!) ;)

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
tpatana said:
Ok, scanned the manual. Couple items I noted from there:

1: Couldn't find one single mention about 720p. Only 4k and 1080p were mentioned. Is it even capable of 720p?

2: 120 fps records for max 7m 29s (x4 = 30m)

3: No audio at 120fps

4: Will be recorded as 30fps, so it'll play back at 1/4 speed.

5: Camera might stop recording due to internal temperature

6: AF: DPAF face+tracking, flexizone (?), 5x/10x zoom available (but not during recording)

7: There's movie servo AF, which seems to say it'll track subject. But most tracking say about face-tracking. Would be curious to get more details on this.

For your point 7, there's s video on YouTube of the camera being used to film some motorcross jumping. The camera is shown tracking the bikes in the air, and if the video is any indication, it seemed to handle it very well.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
R1-7D said:
For your point 7, there's s video on YouTube of the camera being used to film some motorcross jumping. The camera is shown tracking the bikes in the air, and if the video is any indication, it seemed to handle it very well.

Sounds good. Checked the video. It's done by Canon, so naturally they make it look good.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
tpatana said:
R1-7D said:

Sounds good. Checked the video. It's done by Canon, so naturally they make it look good.

Andy also tracks the swimming otters and I'm impressed.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
scyrene said:
dak723 said:
scyrene said:

You're right up to a point. I mean, even my best pics are only uploaded to Flickr at 2000px wide, so nothing like 12MP. *But* for me, cropping is a very important part of most of my work, so more MP are very welcome. Even the 5D3 leaves something to be desired in that respect a lot of the time (would that the birds came closer, or there was an affordable, portable 2000mm lens!) ;)

Isn't that the conundrum. For my various bird shots with 300 X2 and the 6D 20 MP's I'm almost satisfied relative to cropping. That is, assuming I have put in the effort to get as close as possible. So, of course I was hoping that 22 MP's would be the reality from the early rumors and would have liked 24. On the other hand I can believe that there is a trade off with IQ when the pixels get too small. Only two Canons I've shot - 6D, 1D4. I really don't like less than 10 FPS! I really like the lighted focus points and a few other 1D aspects are great, so my heart is set on the 1DX II and I'll live with 20 MP's. Can't/won't afford a 5DSr and don't want huge files. The 7D II just doesn't quite do it for me either.

Jack

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
rrcphoto said:
Eldar said:
rrcphoto said:
thanks for sharing! you didn't by chance take any raws did you?
Yes I did, but I do not have any software to process them with.

ohh can you post them up somewhere?

I SEE U DONT KNOW THE CONCEPT OF THERE's NO RAW FILE SOFTWARE FOR IT lmao

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
BigAntTVProductions said:
rrcphoto said:
Eldar said:
rrcphoto said:
thanks for sharing! you didn't by chance take any raws did you?
Yes I did, but I do not have any software to process them with.

ohh can you post them up somewhere?

I SEE U DONT KNOW THE CONCEPT OF THERE's NO RAW FILE SOFTWARE FOR IT lmao

I see that despite your silly shouting, you don't understand the concept that there are RAW file converters that merely extract the RAW image data from the file container without a need for specific camera compatibility, for example dcraw, RawTherapee, etc. As usual, when you post here you only succeed in making yourself look even more foolish.

Upvote 0