My Latest Cooking Video posted on Youtube - Chicken Enchiladas

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi Folks,

I just recently posted my latest cooking video in the series CWI: Cooking While Intoxicated.
(good name for a show originating out of New Orleans.).

Anyway, on the tech side, I shot this with my Canon 5D3, using Marvels Cine Style
I used my then new Rhino Slider I'd just gotten.

I finally learned the importance of having all your lights the same color temp. to make white balancing easier.

I edited in Final Cut Pro X. This will be my last time in that, as that I just recently got the Adobe CS6 Production Premium...so, I'm going to be cutting my teeth next project on Premier and AfterEffects.

I did my color correction/grading with Davinci Resolve Lite (slight nightmare doing roundtripping with FCPX, ugh).

Anyway, here's the video. I think I did much better with color and editing this time, but still, loads of room to grown and learn, please give it a watch and any follow up advice and constructive criticism you might have:

CWI: Cooking While Intoxicated - Cheese Enchiladas, Sangrita and Salsa Verde

Thank you,

Cayenne 8)

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
paul13walnut5 said:
Premiere has the keyboard shortcuts for FCP7, I've never used FCPX (I think for the reasons you are confirming) but they may be in there to assist the transition.

Good work on the video front.

CT and eradicating mixed lighting is often the bane of my life, and the curse is that when you spend HOURS doing it properly nobody even notices.

Hey Paul13!!

Thanks for the response, I enjoy reading your posts and your advice.

I found FCPX to be a great tool so far, but likely this was easy for me to pick up, since it was my first NLE I'd ever tried to work with and learn.

I can see with Premier, the older multiple tracks system is a bit different. I've been studying and watching some creativelive classes on Premier and After Effects, and I'm very impressed.

I think I'll pick Premier and AE up a bit quicker since I know FCPX and cut my teeth there on the concepts first...than I would have just trying to learn editing techniques and concepts starting off in Premier.

I'm gonna do my next episode as something simple and short shooting...so that most of my efforts are channeled not into heavy editing, but into learning to use the tool.

I hope that Magic Lantern can get the RAW video working and ready for prime time (not alpha) for the 5D3..I'm dying to try my hand shooting and color grading true RAW so as to have tots of leeway for color grading....

Again, thanks for looking in and commenting.

Anyone else?

Thanks,

cayenne

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
bvukich said:
Disclaimer: I know nothing about video...

Since your voice is the most important thing, I would get a mic on you. It would save us from having to listen to the compressor on your refrigerator as well.

Great video though, I'm about 10 minutes in, and getting really hungry :D

LOL, well, thank you for watching and the input!!

I was using the Rode Videomic on top of the camera, it usually is pretty good at isolating sound from the source, but I did use it, now that you mentioned it...with it pointing at me in front of my refrigerator to collect "room tone"...which I did use to cover some edits with vocal and overdubs...so, likely I was injecting that into parts of the video on top of what I actually was recording in the scene.

Just this weekend, I (finally) got in the Rode smartlav....that plugs into my iphone to record with....on my next video I'll be trying to use that on myself, and will use pluraleyes3 to sync it with the sound from the rode mic on the camera, and will see if that works.

I'd not noticed the fridge compressor....but then again, I live there and likely just is normal background tone that my brain now tunes out, so, really nice to hear stuff like this from you!!

Thanks for subscribing and again, thanks for the input!! That's how I learn!!

:)

cayenne

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
cayenne said:
paul13walnut5 said:
Premiere has the keyboard shortcuts for FCP7, I've never used FCPX (I think for the reasons you are confirming) but they may be in there to assist the transition.

Good work on the video front.

CT and eradicating mixed lighting is often the bane of my life, and the curse is that when you spend HOURS doing it properly nobody even notices.

I found FCPX to be a great tool so far, but likely this was easy for me to pick up, since it was my first NLE I'd ever tried to work with and learn.

I can see with Premier, the older multiple tracks system is a bit different. I've been studying and watching some creativelive classes on Premier and After Effects, and I'm very impressed.

I think I'll pick Premier and AE up a bit quicker since I know FCPX and cut my teeth there on the concepts first...than I would have just trying to learn editing techniques and concepts starting off in Premier.

I'm gonna do my next episode as something simple and short shooting...so that most of my efforts are channeled not into heavy editing, but into learning to use the tool.

I hope that Magic Lantern can get the RAW video working and ready for prime time (not alpha) for the 5D3..I'm dying to try my hand shooting and color grading true RAW so as to have tots of leeway for color grading....

cayenne

Nice job Cayenne, it's always fun to see people's videos improve over time. But I have to ask, why are you switching from FCPX? Especially if that's what you're used to. I can't think of much that Premiere can do that FCPX can't, I mean I edit some pretty damn complicated stuff in FCPX with no issues whatsoever. I mean Premiere is great, and I always said that if I had something super complex that I'd use it over FCPX, but that has yet to happen.

Also, After Effects is an amazing program and the sky is the limit with what you can do with it, but it has a hell of a learning curve. Don't feel bad if you can't figure it out, it took me a long time and a lot of tinkering to figure that one out. But if you're set on learning it, I'd suggest Lynda.com, there are loads of great tutorials on there! Good luck with everything!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hey Axilrod!!

Thank you VERY much for the compliment...I appreciate that as well as all the other comments and advice you've given me over the past year or so!!

Well, the move to premier I think....is mostly to force myself to LEARN premier. I'm also trying to teach myself:
Photoshop Extended
Illustrator
....etc
As well as AE and Premier. I figured out a sweetheart deal in that I applied for admission to a local community college that for the price of application and having my old college transcripts sent in...they'd give me a .edu email address as well as a photo student ID...all without ever having to even attempt to register for a class.

So, for about $50..I was able to use the Educational version of the Adobe CS6 Production Pro suite and save about $2K.

I don't want to go CC, so I got the CS6 suite and I'm trying to learn all the tools.
I've been watching lessons on all from CreativeLive...I have some good books and I might try the lynda stuff too.

I figure at some point I might earn some $$ from all of this (at least maybe enough to offset my "lens habit" I've developed)....that I'd be more valuable the more tools I was able to learn and try to master.

So, for quick jobs I'll use FCPX...but for now at least to learn more, I'm gonna try to force myself to do my next project on Premier.

One other thing...I just shot video for a charity Video Bridal crawl here in New Orleans.
I was in bars and other venues with low lights and since I was mobile, I wasn't carrying light. I rented a 50mm f/1.2L and took my other lenses 2.8 and faster...BUT, I still had to shoot at ISO's of 6400 and higher.

I have noise in my video...so, I'm going to buy the "Neat" video noise filter plug-in, and they make you pay for each applicaton you want it on. This stuff seems to really work, so I'm going to buy the module for Premier and give that a shot.

Anyway...I figure you can't learn too much, and this will be a chance to learn the "other" interface with multiple tracks rather than the magnetic timeline.

Lastly, I'm trying to also learn and work with Davinci Resolve...and the roundtripping with FCPX has been less than solid with my attempts...so, going to see how it works in conjunction with Resolve and Premier.

Thanks for looking and again, thanks for all the advice so far!!!

cayenne

Upvote 0