My Latest Cooking Video...

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hello!!

Well, has taken me awhile, but I finally managed to get my latest edition of my cooking video finished and published on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLbZG7LWyXE

I also now have a website for my CWI: Cooking While Intoxicated videos...where I keep the recipes, the one for this episode (if you're interested):

http://cookingwhileintoxicated.com/cwi-zucchini-noodles-zoodles-puttanesca-sauce/

The intro is the part I worked and learned a LOT about...lots of first time doing green screen and compositing 2-3 levels of stuff in together...first time pulling a key, etc.

If you watch through till after the credits for my outtakes, you can see in some of them my green screen set up. I found and used some LED Shop lights that I hung on light stands to try to light the screen evenly....worked out pretty nicely. I used a keying method I found on the Video Copilot site that worked well for me once I got the hang of it and understood what he was doing with it...

That method is in his tutorial here:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/the_portal/

I found it to be VERY informative on doing keying in After Effects.

I shot this on my 5D3..using the Marvels Cine Style ..for a flat effect. I only have one camera and me as the cameraman, sound man..etc. I'm a one man show so far, so the parts that look multi-camera are me just planning takes and editing around them.

I did run into some trouble on parts, where my Rode SmartLAV mic plugged into my OLD iPhone 3GS didn't record or I forgot to hit the button, and had to go with the sound from my Rode Video mic on camera. I had to learn to use the audio filters for dropping out the room noise, etc...I learned and used noise gates, limiters, compressors, etc.

I edited in FCPX...I'm still on OSX Mavericks, so it is an older version of FCPX...I"ll be upgrading all soon now that the project is finished.

I used Davinci Resolve 11 for color grading, and of course After Effects for FX and graphics/titles.

I found that my macbook pro with FCPX has some weird problem showing things colored the same as Resolve and AE show....I've read this is something that FCPX is doing on its own and can't really be fixed. I'll see if the upgraded version fixes this.

I'm planning once I upgrade my operating system, to also start looking at Davinci Resolve 12, and possibly consider moving to it as my NLE...since it runs now on OpenCL...I hear the horsepower requirements for it is a bit more reasonable.

Anyway. that's what I used an shot with.

I appreciate if ya'll give it a watch, and let me know what you think....suggestions, etc. If you do like it, please feel free to show to friends or social media.

Thank you all!!

cayenne

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
RustyTheGeek said:
Thought it was GREAT! My wife is gluten free for medical reasons and I think she'd love this. Video was obviously a lot of work, thanks for the inside scoop. So sorry to hear about Bailey! 16 good years but no doubt you're down about it.

Goodness!!

Thank you VERY much for the praise!!

Well, like all the stuff we all do...yes, it is a lot of work, I'm a one man band totally....so, it takes time and effort, but it is a labor of love.

I'm not allergic as far as I know of to gluten, but I'm avoiding wheat and grain products as much for their perceived gut problems they cause as that they are so prevalent in processed food, which I AM trying to really avoid these days.

I do plan to shoot more things that go along with the dietary lifestyle I'm leaning towards these days...a vegetable heavy "paleo" type diet. And I do look around and find things not many have shot videos on before to find new subject matter.

I recently bought a Big Green Egg to grill on,so likely some videos involving that ...maybe the grilled plantain and black bean stuffed poblano chile relines I made up this weekend...etc.

Anyway, it is fun stuff....the next one I plan to try to do it with the 5D3 with Magic Lantern RAW...combined with shooting with my anamorphic lens adapter...and really try some new things.

If nothing else, it gives me a great opportunity to try out new gadgets, skills and learn new software.

And thanks for the condolences for Bailey. Yes, I really, really miss my pup Bailey. She used to "help" with all the cooking and video shooting. I just had to give her a little something at the very end of that video. It ran so long, I wasn't really sure much of anyone would watch it to the end and see that bit I did for her.

Thanks again!!

Cayenne

Upvote 0