My macro rig

Jul 21, 2010
I don't think I've ever actually seen the Canon flash bracket in use before!

FWIW, I don't think it positions the light usefully - the intent of the bracket is for portrait orientation shots, to get the flash above the axis like it is on the hotshoe in landscape orientation.

For a relatively inexpensive macro setup (more so since you already have an OC cord), I've used the Manfrotto 233B Flash Bracket with Giottos MH1004 mini ball head. With that, you can get the flash head right out over the front of the lens (or hood), pointing down. That gives you a more natural illumination (we expect lighting from above), and the proximity to the subject means softer light. The setup is quite stable.

My even more stable (and much more expensive) setup for a single Speedlite is the RRS B91-B bracket with the FA-QREX2 extension. I use that mainly with my 600 II and a Better Beamer, for birds.

If you're considering greater than 1:1 (as you implied), that probably means the MP-E 65mm. In that case, I'd really recommend the MT-24EX. With the Macrolite Adapter 67C, you can mount the twin light on your 100L. Alternatively, I've found that a pair of Wimberley F-2 brackets allows much more flexibility in positioning the light where you want it. The MT-24EX is also a wireless (optical) master - you can have it on the hotshoe to light the subject, and use your speed light as an off-camera slave to light the background.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
simonbratt99 said:
Just testing if i can post a pic here, if so heres the Canon 100L and canon bracket.Sorry struggling to insert an image, ah i think thats it?

Its rock solid stable compared to the usless £8 used bracket i got off ebay, and im pleased with the illumination. Its only 1:1 but its a start.

http://lastlightimages.smugmug.com/Other/Conceptual/20099206_V4S8HM#!i=2453739608&k=PdN6m4f&lb=1&s=A
Looks good but undecided of its usefulness ... would be interesting to see some pics made with this set up.

Upvote 0
About posting the photo: If you want the photo to embed in your post without an external link to it, you need to paste it's direct link (URL ending in .jpg, .png, etc). Highlight the URL once it's in the text field for your post and click the "insert image button" (under the bold button).

It has to be the direct URL though, thats the key. To copy the URL of an image that appears on a page:

Internet Explorer
Click on the desired picture with the right mouse button.
Select Properties from the menu.
Highlight the address appearing under Address (URL):.
Press Ctrl-C.

Mozilla Firefox
Click on the image with the right mouse button.
Choose Copy Image Location from the menu.

Safari and Opera
Click on the desired image with the right mouse button (or holding down Ctrl while clicking with the left or only button).
Select Copy Image Address from the menu.

Google Chrome
Click on the image with the right mouse button.
Select Copy Image URL from the menu that comes up.

Stole these instructions from a google search....

Upvote 0