My Mini-Review of the 85mm 1.2L II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joseph M

Nice review!

Now how about a mini-review on the 135L and the 50L ;D

Also, can you tell me how far you need to be to shoot a person from their head to their waist kinda shot with the 135L on a fullframe camera?
I've got the ultrawide side of my kit covered but my telephoto ends at 105mm, so I thought that the 135L would be a great addition as my first bokehlicious prime as well as getting my telephoto side covered

Upvote 0
RL great review, but since you asked for some critique here it is. Be careful of common grammatical errors as in the first sentence of your review. You used "your on the canon system". Should be "you're". There are a few other errors in spelling and grammar throughout. I don't want to be the grammar police, but if at the outset I already see a common mistake I'm not going to take the rest of what you say very seriously.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I simply type what thoughts are coming into my head about a particular piece of gear and If they're are typos, so be it.

I will work on 50L and 135L reviews sometime later. I will also review the Winglight sometime too.

Upvote 0
You mention excellent build quality...can you post a picture or comment on the gap between the focusing barrel and the outer lens body? I'm taking about the barrel that houses the front element and moves in and out to focus. On the copy of this lens that I owned, I found the gap to very large and I quickly got dust inside the lens. It settled on the inside of the rear element, where it is actually a problem. Fortunately, the rear element is easily cleaned by taking the lens mount loose (which houses the rear element) and puffing some air on it.

I cleaned mine, verified it still functioned perfectly and then sold it.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
bchernicoff said:
You mention excellent build quality...can you post a picture or comment on the gap between the focusing barrel and the outer lens body? I'm taking about the barrel that houses the front element and moves in and out to focus. On the copy of this lens that I owned, I found the gap to very large and I quickly got dust inside the lens. It settled on the inside of the rear element, where it is actually a problem. Fortunately, the rear element is easily cleaned by taking the lens mount loose (which houses the rear element) and puffing some air on it.

I cleaned mine, verified it still functioned perfectly and then sold it.

Its not a sealed lens, but It's built to withstand the bumps and knocks of professional use.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Its not a sealed lens, but It's built to withstand the bumps and knocks of professional use.

I understand that it's not sealed, but I found it to be alarmingly not-sealed. Fine for indoor use.

I just feel like a review should mention that it's a lens you need to be careful with.

I found the build quality of the Sigma 85mm 1.4 to be much better in this regard. With a 77mm filter on the front the focusing barrel is enclosed like with the Canon 50 1.2L.
AF is much faster on the Sigma as well, though that's not related to build quality.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
bchernicoff said:
RLPhoto said:

I understand that it's not sealed, but I found it to be alarmingly not-sealed. Fine for indoor use.

I just feel like a review should mention that it's a lens you need to be careful with.

I found the build quality of the Sigma 85mm 1.4 to be much better in this regard. With a 77mm filter on the front the focusing barrel is enclosed like with the Canon 50 1.2L.
AF is much faster on the Sigma as well, though that's not related to build quality.

I wouldn't take the lens into a rainstorm but the 85L is built to last.

Yes, its AF is pitiful but its accurate. It has alot of glass to move around.

I still prefer my 135L.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx

Celebrating 20 years of model photography!
I'm probably not typical among photographers, but I find the extremely shallow depth of field created by the F1.2 aperture kind of disturbing. When working with people, I love blurring the background with my prime lenses, but I don't normally go any wider than 2.0

Thanks for the nice review. My favorite shot was the one of the chicken. The depth of field was just right for me. :) I actually did a shoot for a woman who had pet chickens like that a few weeks ago. We were in a small back yard and I used my Sigma 50mm 1.4 wide open a lot to really blur the background. Must be something about chickens that needs a wide aperture. LOL!

I'm enjoying my prime lenses a lot more now that I have a 5D Mark III that will focus them accurately. Looking forward to using them more, but it is hard to give up the zoom.

Upvote 0
I agree that the build quality is not all that great on the 85L. I own one and had to have it serviced twice. The front element is screwed in like a filter and is only held in place by a tab (or two) and some glue. If you get a filter stuck and try to unscrew it with force/strength then you can unscrew the front element. That is what happened to mine. Be careful with that lens but enjoy it.

Upvote 0
I dont mean any offense or anything but pretty much every topic that has to do with these lenses you keep posting this review you wrote. I think it was a good review but if i could encourage you to do the other parts i believe it mentions on there that would be awesome. I just keep clicking on it because i assume there is no way you would keep posting this without having finished the review. So i guess in one sense if you want people to go to your blog and check out your one post you are succeeding. Just realize that i count for like ten of the visits to your site. Even now you started a topic for it all in its own! I wont be tricked again! Let us know when you get some new stuff up. the first part was good!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.