My photos look so dull

KyleSTL said:
Roger Jones said:
Its always easier to shoot it right than to fix it in post. This image is challenging due to the unflattering shadows on the face. OP should try to fill these in a little with flash or a reflector.
You have completely changed the subject's face, and honestly, it looks a little disturbing and alien-like. Go easy on the brushes. Sorry to be critical, but it just looks really strange.

+1, wtf happened. Looks like a creepy mannequin now. I had to do a double take because I thought it was a joke at first...

Upvote 0
My apologies for two things:

1. Piggybacking off this thread (my problem I think is related so I posted here as not to clog up the forums)
2. I am a new poster, so therefore I am probably going to make a mistake (wrong forum, topic is exhausted, etc.)

I always get nervous to post because it seems like some are overly critical, and I really just need some help to push me forward instead of getting me frustrated and putting my camera away indefinitely. Someone else was taking photos w/ a Nikon at this event and even though hers were a little color-casted they came out extremely more vibrant than mine SOOC.

I seem to have the problem of the super dull flat photos coming straight out of camera. I shoot on 'faithful' as I have read they are the truest colors. For more "important" stuff I shoot raw but this photo in particular was jpeg. This was outside on a very sunny day with some cloud cover at times.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1044462_299052293572024_1648139847_n.jpg

I tried to follow some of the steps in this forum, but found that I obviously am doing something wrong as the photo either gets completely washed out or the skin does. The "Auto Color" helped a bit, however, could someone help me by showing me their edit? And most importantly, how they adjusted the level or curve to make the difference?

I feel like I have a lot of decent shots that I never post because I never had any help on "proper" workflow to color correct photos. I could really use some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
hockeyandbeer said:
My apologies for two things:

1. Piggybacking off this thread (my problem I think is related so I posted here as not to clog up the forums)
2. I am a new poster, so therefore I am probably going to make a mistake (wrong forum, topic is exhausted, etc.)

I always get nervous to post because it seems like some are overly critical, and I really just need some help to push me forward instead of getting me frustrated and putting my camera away indefinitely. Someone else was taking photos w/ a Nikon at this event and even though hers were a little color-casted they came out extremely more vibrant than mine SOOC.

I seem to have the problem of the super dull flat photos coming straight out of camera. I shoot on 'faithful' as I have read they are the truest colors. For more "important" stuff I shoot raw but this photo in particular was jpeg. This was outside on a very sunny day with some cloud cover at times.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1044462_299052293572024_1648139847_n.jpg

I tried to follow some of the steps in this forum, but found that I obviously am doing something wrong as the photo either gets completely washed out or the skin does. The "Auto Color" helped a bit, however, could someone help me by showing me their edit? And most importantly, how they adjusted the level or curve to make the difference?

I feel like I have a lot of decent shots that I never post because I never had any help on "proper" workflow to color correct photos. I could really use some guidance.

Thanks in advance.

I went ahead and gave it a quick (less then 5 min) boost in post. I usually start with levels, then curves, then any type of hue adjustment (you had a bit of a green cast), then lens effects (vignette, distortion), noise (none in this one), then doge and burn to my liking and sometimes a bit of levels again at the end. One of the main reasons I don't find lightroom adequate is the lack of levels adjustments, lame. I use both aperture and lightroom (as they both have some advantages over each other) for minor tweaks, but most major stuff is done in PS. Hope that at least helps a little

Attachments

• 1044462_299052293572024_1648139847_n copy.jpg
    1044462_299052293572024_1648139847_n copy.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 1,796
Upvote 0

gferdinandsen

was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker
tron said:
This is a joke right?

There is nothing in these settings that cannot be done in post. They will serve you almost nothing.
Plus, In cloudy days less contrast and saturation that for standard shooting? This is certainly a joke!

+1 You can achieve a much better result shooting in RAW and doing post-processing. This chart looks like it for an absolute beginner with no knowledge of post processing.

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Sorry, Sir, Dear Tron and Dear Gferdinandsen.
I already remove my post, Sorry, I am wrong, Because, When some one ask how to Fixed the Dull Photos, And I think that person need help, like me in the Past, I just offer my two cents lesson from my Photography Teacher= and I forget ,that Lesson just for the Beginner like Me.
Sorry Sir, Yes, Now I know that most of the Members on this Post are the PRO.
I will not post the stupid Ideas, for the beginner like that any more.
Surapon Sujjavanich, AIA, CPS . Gold Member.
Apex, NC., USA.

Upvote 0

cnardo

5D3, 7D2
May 17, 2012
Santa Barbara
Surapon....

I, for one, would appreciate it if you re-post your hand written class notes. I didn’t not have time to looks at them and try it out for myself. While shooting in Raw gives you complete flexibility in POST, these might be handy for the “kids party/family gathering” photos so many of us get asked to do.

Thanks…

Upvote 0
unkbob said:
Here's my effort. 100% Photoshop.

THIS.

This thread is frustrating. Most posts are putting WAAAAY too much emphasis on things that would make a marginal difference:
Post processing
Lens choice

And almost no mentions of the most important thing of all, THE QUALITY OF THE LIGHT. You need to position your subject in a place with great light and stop thinking about post processing! Some common places that usually have great light: right next to a window, under a tree, in a snow cave*, etc. Or just anywhere with some nice even shade, these photos don’t have that. Seek the good light, then make a composition, don’t get obsessed with composition and end up shooting in horrible light!

I do agree, though, that it’s usually handy (since we all shoot Canon) to overexpose a little, you can always back off of it a little bit and maintain image quality. People usually look best with brighter exposures.

*the photo I’ve attached was shot with a 50mm f/1.8, no flashes, no lights, no reflectors, etc. I just knew the light in here would be soft and diffused! There was some minimal processing, I don’t remember exactly what but probably like 3-4 slider adjustments in Lightrooom that took a whopping 20-30 seconds.

Attachments

• snow_cave.jpg
    snow_cave.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,067
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
Dear Mr. Cnardo.
Thousand Thanks for your Goods words, Yes, Sir. I will Post for you to see again, That my hand writing/ Notes, just from The intermediate Photography class that I took in my local Technical College, just for learn the new tricks of Photography= The Hobby that I love since 1965, when I in the University. Yes, My First Canon Camera = Canon FT - QL, Which I still use from time to time.
This Attached Chart, That all students in that class , to use and report back to the teacher, and The Teacher teach us to adjust the Setting as we love and see fit to our eyes, after see final prints that our homework for that class.
Yes, That 4-5 years ago, and I still use with my 4 Canon bodies, When I want just Point and Shoot, with out Thinking , When I travel Around the World, YES, SIR, I will get 85-90% of my good Photos from this setting ( in JPG. Files), With Minimum Post Processing by my Photoshop 6.
Thank You again , SIR, Dear Mr. Cnardo
Surapon

PS. My Dear Teacher teach me that= The Best Photographers are the Person, who can think from their Brain and Their Heart, Setting up every thing, Include the camera, before Press the Shutter, and Will get the Best Photos from the Camera---Not By Heavy Post Processing and that to much waste of times to enjoy our lifes.----Exception, IF YOU ARE THE PRO, and must earn the money from your BEST PRODUCTS.

Attachments

• BF-4.jpg
    BF-4.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,080
  • FF-2.jpg
    FF-2.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,109
  • CC3-2.jpg
    CC3-2.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1,124
  • IMG (2)-revise.jpg
    IMG (2)-revise.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 1,043
Upvote 0

surapon

Aug 2, 2013
cnardo said:
Surapon...

Thanks so much for re-posting your tables. I shoot a lot of jegs and these tables can help me get the best photos possible. And thanks for sharing your pictures. They were excellent !

Dear Cnardo.
Thank you SIR, for your great Words---You make my days. I am the Fan of this great Website for many years, but Just start to post last week, as the Newbee. But I have learn from every one in this Post, Difference Brain, Difference Heart, Difference Ability = Difference IDEAS. But My Main Goal in my Life are try to improve my love Hobby/ Photography, Plus share the New trick that I have learn to all of my friends. If you have Facebook acc., Please be my Friend on FB.----THANKS.
PS. I use that chart and setting in my 4 Canon DSLR cameras since 4-5 years, and It's work for me , when I just want POINT AND SHOOT as fast as possible= with out worry, when I just want the RECORDED PHOTOS in all of my Trips.

Attachments

• IMG_1288-3.JPG
    IMG_1288-3.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 618
  • IMG_5691.JPG
    IMG_5691.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 652
  • IMG_0439.JPG
    IMG_0439.JPG