My simple stamp photographing setup

Mar 25, 2011
A cheap Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro should also work fine, you can get them for less than $100 used. I have one that lives on my EOS R. It is only 1:2 unless you get the rare life size adapter. I built a copy stand out of a old enlarger this winter, but have not found time to play with it. Getting lighting right has been the problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Life size adabter? how it differs from extension tube?
It is more like a TC with glass in it. A extension tube greatly reduces the focus distance while the life sized converter or a TC does not. They are hard to find for the 50 and not worth the price, you could buy a real 1:1 macro for the same price when you add in the cost of the life sized converter.

The life size converter only works with the 50 and is optimized for that lens, so its not useful for other lenses.

Whatever works for you is fine, but a used 50mm f/2.5 is a low cost alternative for macro and it will work with extension tubes, but the close working distance with tubes is a problem.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2018
I think this is alternate-leaved golden-saxifrage :p
I tooked this with RP ,40mm 2,8stm with 70mm extension ,so around 2x . F16 iso 800
20 picture focus stack then it stopped .
I guess problem is with high magnification ,on some point there will be too small sharp areas for autofocus detect it and it thinks pic is done ,when cant find sharp.
Hard to find enough still weather for 2x focus stack :(
Tried also put start point to stamen heads but they are too small for autofocus to hit,and somehow touch drag focus point works very bad with high magnification.
I wish could move focus point on 5x view on focus override,with arrow buttons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0