My very BAD Experience with CPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I joined CPS Gold membership con November last year and decided to have my Canon EOS 5D Mk III serviced along with my Canon 100-400 mk II because of dust inside (still under warranty).

So, decided to send it to the Newport News, VA center on January 27th. The Camera was well serviced and had it back just by the end of the third business day.

The lens is another story: let it go for 5 business day and began calling to ask what was happening, they told me that they got the dust of the lens but had to replace parts because the Focus to infinite was out of spec (I didn't have problems with AF before the service).

Finally, after calling them each day because I had a trip on Febrary 15th, never thought getting dust out of a lens would take so much!. Got my lens back on February 12th, went on to test it: Surprise has soft focus, and can't even focus well on Live view. Called them right away and the sent me a label to send it back and got me a loaner.

Thing is: I am abroad right now, a loaner lens is a responsibility as is not my lens, and my lens it's still being checked, at this point I think they should stop looking around and give me a new (or at least a refurbished unit) to replace mine.

I am really disappointed at how my case has been handled, if it was just an AF adjustment they would have already done that, so it was something that went wrong during the service and they are trying to fix it without telling me what's going on.

What have been your experience with CPS?

ehouli said:
I joined CPS Gold membership con November last year and decided to have my Canon EOS 5D Mk III serviced along with my Canon 100-400 mk II because of dust inside (still under warranty).

So, decided to send it to the Newport News, VA center on January 27th. The Camera was well serviced and had it back just by the end of the third business day.

The lens is another story: let it go for 5 business day and began calling to ask what was happening, they told me that they got the dust of the lens but had to replace parts because the Focus to infinite was out of spec (I didn't have problems with AF before the service).

Finally, after calling them each day because I had a trip on Febrary 15th, never thought getting dust out of a lens would take so much!. Got my lens back on February 12th, went on to test it: Surprise has soft focus, and can't even focus well on Live view. Called them right away and the sent me a label to send it back and got me a loaner.

Thing is: I am abroad right now, a loaner lens is a responsibility as is not my lens, and my lens it's still being checked, at this point I think they should stop looking around and give me a new (or at least a refurbished unit) to replace mine.

I am really disappointed at how my case has been handled, if it was just an AF adjustment they would have already done that, so it was something that went wrong during the service and they are trying to fix it without telling me what's going on.

Never had any bad experiences. Just got my 600 back and its as good as new. They did send you a loaner and thats a CPS perk. I agree something may have happened...or it was out of spec but you never noticed. You can certainly request that they replace it or at least get them to commit to a date that if it cant be resolved by then they will replace it.
Either way you have a loaner to use until they get it right.

Try to enjoy your trip in the mean time.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Sorry you are having this experience but things happen, even with the best of companies. Is this over yet? It sounds a bit premature and perhaps you'll get an explanation as to why your lens required service you didn't anticipate when it is all said and done and returned to you. Every item I get returned has a very thorough and itemized explanation as of what service was performed and parts repaired/replaced. I look forward to your follow up.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
monkey44 said:
I've had only four items sent to Newport News - every one came back quickly and in excellent shape. And, I'm not a member of anything - I just send my gear there because it's closest Canon service center. Never have a problem with it - every time, my gear was gone ten days or less, door to door.

Same here. Only a couple of times but each time the experience was was quite good and I expect when I need something serviced it will also go to the Newport News location.

Upvote 0
ehouli said:

How is this a bad experience, they provided you with a loaner while they are working on your lens. If you didn't have a lens for your trip then you could complain, but this seems like they are doing an excellent job at making sure you are not inconvenienced.

Upvote 0
Guys,

Don't get me wrong, but even with a loaner, I am not comfortable hanging around with a lens that's not mine. In first place the lens was sent to a not out of ordinary service that ended up taking more than the 3 business days because they needed spare parts (still don't know why).

My lens was focusing perfectly before I sent it under warranty to get the dust out of it. Customer service has been very understanding and efficient but the technical service was not, the lens spent a whole day in quality check before being shipped back.

I had a previous experience with Canon Service was with the Jamesburg, NJ facility and they did a good job on two occasions and didn't have CPS membership at that time.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
If you consider this a very BAD experience, then you have been a very lucky person up to now. It sounds like they are trying to resolve the issues and have offered you a loaner while your lens is in service. Yes, unfortunate that things did not go smoothly, but very bad?? Please....

It sounds like you are just another internet forum type who feels they must bash Canon (or whatever forum it may be) whenever possible.

Upvote 0
ehouli said:

Honestly, CPS has been outstanding. They go out of their way to assist me, and never cease to amaze me. I probably do not deserve all the help they offer, but I gladly accept it. And I also love some of the creative little freebies I get - things I actually like, can use or display on my shelf. Love it!

Anyhow, I hope you get the issue sorted. It does sound like they have tried to help, it is not CPS fault that you are travelling overseas or don't want to take the loaner with you.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
If you consider this a very BAD experience, then you have been a very lucky person up to now. It sounds like they are trying to resolve the issues and have offered you a loaner while your lens is in service. Yes, unfortunate that things did not go smoothly, but very bad?? Please....

It sounds like you are just another internet forum type who feels they must bash Canon (or whatever forum it may be) whenever possible.

Bash Canon? Sir, I've been shooting Canon for 8 years now! Is it Unfortunate that you send a lens to have a it cleaned and then they tell you that need to replace parts that took 10 days to get for a fault you never had before sending it, and then Quality check didn't find the lens was out of specs when sending it back?

As I told, customer service is doing it's job, but the tech guys don't...

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi ehouli.
Just a thought, could the dust have been from a part failing, this failing part causing the out of spec situation?
Use the loaner, take the same care of it as you would your own, and if something should happen to it that is what insurance is for, you do have it insured?
In fairness it seems they are doing their best to keep you happy whilst they have your lens, unfortunately parts do sometimes get out of stock, sometimes this is all the way up the supply chain to the manufacturer.
I have not used CPS, but I have registered, here it is joined by qualifying with enough points for gear owned, and I just got enough points for silver woo hoo.

Cheers, Graham.

ehouli said:

Upvote 0
ehouli said:

I'm Platinum. Was Gold.

Delivered (myself) a 70-200 IS L II. CPS somehow "lost" the lens. They lied to me about loosing it and - after finally having admitted that the lens "lost" several days after it was overdue (and having me go there to pick it up!) - failed to give me a replacement as CPS is obliged to. Result was I had to leave for a trip abroad without. :'(

Along the way I complained to Canon about the lack of CPS service, response and the lying. However to no avail...

I forgot how long it took before CPS "found" the lens. Two or three weeks.

Lens was fine after the needed adjustment. They of course charged me full price.

Would have been easier to stomach without the lying. And with the "guaranteed" replacement lens.

Not impressed.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
ehouli said:

I'm Platinum. Was Gold.

Delivered (myself) a 70-200 IS L II. CPS somehow "lost" the lens. They lied to me about loosing it and - after finally having admitted that the lens "lost" several days after it was overdue (and having me go there to pick it up!) - failed to give me a replacement as CPS is obliged to. Result was I had to leave for a trip abroad without. :'(

Along the way I complained to Canon about the lack of CPS service, response and the lying. However to no avail...

Lens was fine after the needed adjustment. They of course charged me full price.

Would have been easier to stomach without the lying. And with the "guaranteed" replacement lens.

Not impressed.

I feel this is an abridged version and some details ave been left out. Ive never hd to pay full price as a CPS member and always get a cost estimte in advance of the work being done. That being said if your lens is not pre-registered or the lens was previously serviced by someone other than Canon then they will either charge full price or wont repair it. Either way you should have known in advance before the repairs started.

I dont doubt you had issues though. Just wondering why you had multiple issues as a cps member? Was it because of the drop off instead of mail in?

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
There are some issues to consider.

Allow lots of time to have dust removed from a lens before a trip. Accidents or damage during shipping will always happen if you are on a tight schedule. Its called Murphy's Law.

Canon is going to check operation of any lens they repair, and they found issues with yours. Unfortunately, even a well packed lens can be damaged in shipping, so I'd avoid sending one in for dust removal because the odds of shipping damage are significant. I double box mine with a extreme amount of cushioning, and so far have been lucky on the dozens I've shipped. That means 3-4 inches of soft cushion around a lens in a box that has 2 inches around it. Shipping on the return trip from Canon is also subject to damage in shipping, so you can't assume that your lens was not fixed properly by Canon, all you know is that its was a Canon issue, or damage in transit back to you. The box does not have to be damaged to affect a lens from vibration or shock.

Lens rentals has noted the relatively high number of their lenses damaged in shipping, the shippers are just plain hard on lenses.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
There are some issues to consider.

Allow lots of time to have dust removed from a lens before a trip. Accidents or damage during shipping will always happen if you are on a tight schedule. Its called Murphy's Law.

Canon is going to check operation of any lens they repair, and they found issues with yours. Unfortunately, even a well packed lens can be damaged in shipping, so I'd avoid sending one in for dust removal because the odds of shipping damage are significant. I double box mine with a extreme amount of cushioning, and so far have been lucky on the dozens I've shipped. That means 3-4 inches of soft cushion around a lens in a box that has 2 inches around it. Shipping on the return trip from Canon is also subject to damage in shipping, so you can't assume that your lens was not fixed properly by Canon, all you know is that its was a Canon issue, or damage in transit back to you. The box does not have to be damaged to affect a lens from vibration or shock.

Lens rentals has noted the relatively high number of their lenses damaged in shipping, the shippers are just plain hard on lenses.

Mt spokane, his was a drop off and pick up at the canon facility so shipping damage would not have been an issue. My thoughts are that they dont get many drop offs and that was part of the "loss" problem.

On a different note, i have the same lens he has and have had it since they first came out. Ive used it probably more than any other lens in my bag and i have no internal dust at all. This leads me to think that something was wearing internally creating the dust and Canon picked up on when the lens was disassembled for cleaning.

Upvote 0
East Wind Photography said:
Maiaibing said:
ehouli said:

I'm Platinum. Was Gold.

Not impressed.

I feel this is an abridged version and some details ave been left out. Ive never hd to pay full price as a CPS member and always get a cost estimte in advance of the work being done. That being said if your lens is not pre-registered or the lens was previously serviced by someone other than Canon then they will either charge full price or wont repair it. Either way you should have known in advance before the repairs started.

I dont doubt you had issues though. Just wondering why you had multiple issues as a cps member? Was it because of the drop off instead of mail in?

Don't think anything relevant is missing here.

I have all my stuff pre-registered in Canon's database this is a requirement - how else do you get to your level? If you ever delivered a lens yourself you will know they check for CPS registration at delivery. Used the authorized CPS repair form as one should. No CPS rebate in Europe. You decide yourself if you want an estimate or not (I did not as it was a simple lens adjustment).

Have no clue why they lost my lens or why they decided to lie about it in the beginning. I do think it would have been good business practice to offer some kind of rebate.

Upvote 0
My experience with CPS is generally good my only complaint is how they OK service.

When I send an item in for repair I include a letter authorizing repair if the repair is less than a given amount, and give them payment information. They ignore this and send emails that don't clearly state that they are coming from canon repair. In their process to effect repair I seem to remember that has something to do with logging into CPS along the way.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.