Need advice - 7D vs 5D2 vs 5d3

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sfrider

Hi All,
I'm looking to upgrade from my 20D. I decided I wanted to upgrade after realizing that my 20D wasn't great at low light/high ISO shots. I am a recreational photographer, take photos of my kids, friends, family, travel, sporting events etc - mostly for fun, do some printing, usually 4x6 or 5x7, occasionally 16x24 - though would consider larger sizes for home decoration. I want to be able to shoot in low light and indoors without a flash.
I already own the Canon 50 f1.2L and 24-105 f4L - and on the 20D the 50 1.2L is too tight for indoor shots. So I figured I should either get a FF body and use the lenses I already own, or a 7D + 24,28,or 35mm fast lens.

So as I see it my options are:
7D + 35 f2 (approx $2000 total)
7D + 35 1.4 (approx $3000 total)
5D2 ($2150 total)
5D3 ($3500 total)

I could swing any of the options financially - but would only want to spend the extra $$ on the 5D3 if it was really going to make a difference for my needs.

Thanks!
Michael
20D, 50 f1.2L, 24-105 f4L, 430EX II

Jul 21, 2010
In your shoes, I'd go with the 5DIII. You've got a great set of lenses to go with that body already.

I shoot similar things as you, and I have both a 5DII and a 7D - each has their plusses and minuses. The 5DII offers great IQ and the ability to shoot at higher ISO with great control over noise - ISO 3200 on the 5DII is very usable for routine shooting. But...the AF on the 5DII is marginal with moving kids, and not very good for sporting events. The 7D has a great AF system, but gets quite noisy above ISO 800. In many situations, I find that I want both good AF and good ISO performance, but I need to choose between them (if I need good AF, e.g. one of my kids' indoor activities/dance/gymnastics/etc., I usually pick the 7D and live with the noise at ISO 3200). The 5DII is great indoors in the evenings with high ISO, but I have to put up with a lot of missed shots due to the AF.

The 5DIII offers great AF and great ISO performance, so it would meet both needs. (Am I getting one? No - but that's only because I'm getting the 1D X instead).

Upvote 0
I have to agree on Neuroanatomist's comment. 5D III has the best things from the 5D II and 7D and also a little bit of 1DX, so its the perfect allround camera in my opinion! I also have a 7D now and already sold my 5D II because I wan't only 1 body, but a good one! Since I don't do a lot of sports, i don't need the 12 fps 1DX and the 6 fps of the 5D III are pretty decent. If you have a 7D and then try to shoot with a 5D II it feels (for me) like a step back! There are a lot of controls missing on the 5D II in comparison to the 7D (eg. simple things like changing the aperture wheel with the shutter speed wheel for studio use). You should also keep in mind that the 5D III and the 1DX are the only EOS bodies you can use the new accessories with (like the new wireless speedlites etc.). So I'd totally go for the 5D III (actually, I own a 7D and owned a 5D II and I'm now switching to the 5D III). If you have a 5D II you NEEED a 7D for sports and if you have a 7D you NEED a 5D II for decent high iso performance, so if you don't need 2 bodies the one 5D III is defenitely the better choice!

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Since you already own 50mm f1.2 - my next purchase - I think you should consider 5D III.

The 50mm prime lens will fit great with FF. I have 5D II before, It's great FF camera for low light but AF quite not that good. I sold my 5D II after putting a pre-order on 5D III.

The 5D III seems to have both speed & low light shooting. (6fps is fast enough for me)

Upvote 0
I agree with everyones suggestion for the 5d3. i have both the 5d2 and 7d... when I'm taking pics of my 2 year old and 4, the 5d2 really gets frustrated and it's lag time is just so that it cant keep up... The 7D's iso i would say isn't as bad as others make it out to be, but it is a personal and subjective thing... What one person see's as acceptable wont be the same as others, so you will have to look at the 7d image tests to determine if if's ok with you, and if not, look at the 5d's. Even on indoors, the 50 may be too narrow, but the 24-105 should be more than fine with the 5d3 and interiors while you can use the 50 for shallow portraits, details, and any artsy fartsy thing your heart wishes. =) Good luck with your decision.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2012
I would also say to give the 5dmk3 a good hard look. I'm one to recommend lenses over the latest greatest camera body, but when you already have a very fast 50mm and a great full frame general zoom, i say go full frame. I never owned a 20d, but i have owned a 30d, 40d and a 1dmk2. Any of the 5d series will be a big step up in IQ from what you currently have, with the mk2 and mk3 being better and better yet, but only the 5dmk3 will offer you an AF system that should be much better than what you already have. I usually recommend lenses over cameras, but at some point a newer body will be a big upgrade that will benefit you with all your existing lenses. just understand that a body is not going to be worth much in 5-6 yrs. that's the nature of the beast. But by then you might consider that 5dmk3 a old piece of junk anyway, and wonder how you ever did without that new 5dmkV.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.