Need advice/feedback for the Gitzo GH1382QD Series 1 Center Ball Head

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I will be getting the Gitzo Mountaineer GT3542L tripod shortly, and I have shortlisted to the RRS BH-40 and the Acratech GP ball head.

There is a really good deal (AUD$365) for the Gitzo GH1382QD ball head and I need your advice/feedback if it will be strong enough to hold the following gears.

Canon 5D MK3 and EOS R. My longest lens is the Canon 100-400mm 2nd generation. I will likely to add a 1.4 converter in the near future.

I have a Gitzo GH1382QD, used solely on a monopod. It is a great head, and easily takes a gripped 5Diii with 500 f/4 Mk2. It does of course suffer the handling issues inherent in all ball heads when it comes to making slight adjustments, but the friction control helps somewhat. (To be honest, on the monopod, I tend it have it tightened right up permanently, and just tilt the monopod to alter positioning). Good luck .
Stoical.

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I have the Gitzo GH1382QD ball head on my Gitzo traveller and liked it so much I ended up buying the series 3 for my GT3542LS
Only issue I have is the knobs seem to loosen of themselves and can drop off.
Tighten up as I pack up and do the same before I venture out on another trip

Interesting. With such a premium product, I wouldn't think the knobs will loosen with normal usage. Did you try to get it fixed by Gitzo under warranty ?

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
I have a Gitzo GH1382QD, used solely on a monopod. It is a great head, and easily takes a gripped 5Diii with 500 f/4 Mk2. It does of course suffer the handling issues inherent in all ball heads when it comes to making slight adjustments, but the friction control helps somewhat. (To be honest, on the monopod, I tend it have it tightened right up permanently, and just tilt the monopod to alter positioning). Good luck .
Stoical.

Thanks. I regularly shoot long exposure landscape and my concern is whether the GH1382QD will able to keep my 5D & 100-400mm Lens vibration free on windy days.

Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
Interesting. With such a premium product, I wouldn't think the knobs will loosen with normal usage. Did you try to get it fixed by Gitzo under warranty ?
The first time my knob fell off i managed to retrieve and screw back in
The second time not so lucky as was carrying the camera/lens on the tripod when went limp, didn't suspect the missing knob
Luckily local camera shop advertising they were the service centre for Gitzo so a new knob was there next day
Had same issue with a newly bought Gitzo gimbal that disintegrated as i mounted the lens.
Local photog remarked that "gitzo lah bits fall off"
I have now heard this numerous times from local photogs when they see the Gitzo
"bits fall off lah"
Now OCD and ensure my knobs are well screwed in

Upvote 0

CvH

CR Pro
Nov 19, 2014
The first time my knob fell off i managed to retrieve and screw back in
The second time not so lucky as was carrying the camera/lens on the tripod when went limp, didn't suspect the missing knob
Luckily local camera shop advertising they were the service centre for Gitzo so a new knob was there next day
Had same issue with a newly bought Gitzo gimbal that disintegrated as i mounted the lens.
Local photog remarked that "gitzo lah bits fall off"
I have now heard this numerous times from local photogs when they see the Gitzo
"bits fall off lah"
Now OCD and ensure my knobs are well screwed in

Sounds like I should be getting the RRS BH-40 :). All reviews raved how well RRS stuff are built and reliable...

Upvote 0