Need advice from filmmakers concerning my lens collection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd definitely say no: you have an amazing set of lenses, and one of those L zooms would add flexibility, but losing the 50mm would take away a lot of picture quality

if you have a 5D2, I'd say: slowly save up, and eventually buy the 24-105, as you have as much image quality as you can get, and this one would add flexibility and IS

if you have an APS-C body (I think that's not the case), add the tamron 17-50 f/2.8 non-VC: it's a great lens, it will give you the flexibility you're looking for, at a much lower cost

if I were to trade down one of your lenses, it could be the 35L (for the Samyang 35mm f/1.4, which is even sharper and costs 1/4 of the price; only manual focus, though, but for video that's perfect), or the 70-200 f/2.8 (for the 70-200 f/4L IS, only if you're going to use it on a fullframe body and don't need the f/2.8 for shooting sport events at night)

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
martinelliminimo said:
So far I have the 24L ii, 35L, 50L, and 70-200 2.8. Someone has offered to trader their 24-70mm 2.8 for my 50L. I find myself a little bit frustrated changing my primes when I'm recording unplanned and unpredictable material. Do you think i should just get a cheap Sigma/Tamron zoom and just get the nice L primes?

I wouldn't do it, I've thought of giving up my 50 before but just can't do it. If anything maybe ADD a 24-70 to your collection, you can find them for $900 used and if you could swing that it would probably be your best option. It is a great walk around lens, but not worth sacrificing any of those primes for.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.