Need guidance from seniors

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I thought (from spec) that 5dmkiii is digic 5 so old processor ..does that mean bad picture quality!... no clue
Forget about theoretical spec-related disadvantages: 5 D 3 quality is on a very high level, and the camera is certainly more durable than the (also very good) 6 D 2.
As to the 5 RP, low weight means more plastics inside, yet, the R series are future-proof...
And: there are excellent 5 D IV available as used ones, with few picts, and WARRANTY from reputable dealers!
Not an easy choice...:unsure:

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Wait until next week, and checkout the new full frame mirrorless RP. If its like the R, it will work with EF, EF-s, and RF lenses so you can have a full frame body and upgrade your EF-s lenses later if you want. It is expected to be about $1600, it will likely trigger a sell off of 6D MK II bodies, so you might snag a deal for one of those.

While a 5D MK III is a great body, they may no longer be supported for repairs in a few years, and if you get a used one that needs a repair, the overall cost will be high, so don't over pay, assume it needs $400 worth of service, lots of people unknowingly sell one that needs service.

Edit - I see you need a camera now. I'd recommend a 5D MK IV or 6D MK II for full frame, or a 80D for crop. Don't get a DSLR body that does not have DPAF or AFMA, that eliminates the 5D MK III for me. You can get good deals on a 80D or a 6D MK II but buy from a authorized dealer, not a fly by night place. Canadian sellers if authorized have a us warranty, and often save you a fair amount.

Checkout Greentoe for a discount from a good dealer.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Ok thanks Alan..will ask for your review here again once that RP is out... I can wait a month before buying... my 7d is very old now so want to replace..it was a nice camera just the low light pictures are bad compared to the FF

I would get a 6D or 6D II (I think there is a $300 rebate offer on at the moment) if you are looking for an inexpensive step up to FF. The 80D, as mentioned, if you are looking for a crop camera.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
If you are not looking at action or wildlife then as has been said a 6d2 or the new Rp would be the goods for you. Of you do want something that can handle some higher paced action then the 80d might be worth considering.

yup was going to say something similar... I had a 7D and migrated to 80D and its quite a decent camera, but it depends on what you're photographing... wildlife/sports etc tends to be a bit better (faster FPS) with crop and you have the 1.6x crop zoom factor.. this disappears if you go FF.. so it kind of depends on what you want it for. I DO want a FF... and didn't go for the 6D MkII for a simple reason, the focal points were too centred and I need edge capabilities. EOS R tempts me, but its a first try.. feels like they under powered the chips on it and so it appears to be a bit sluggish, but a promised firmware is supposed to appear soon and with the new RP it will be interesting to watch. I'd wait a bit longer.. or get a cheap 80D if you want similar to similar.. it acts like a 7D, but much better in most respects (except for the FPS and lack of joystick)

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Ok so I'll keep 6dii and 5diii in mind and wait a bit to see how RP reviews look like..yes I thought of 80d but thinking for FF only... am a family main with love of photography so no specific direction but certainly no need to stay focus on sports mode like 7d and no interest in video as such...
If / when your grandkids start playing soccer or field sports, you may want a camera that will focus and track with video, beware, 5D MK III won't do that, 6D II will as will 80D and 5D MK IV. I don't do video either, my family has grown up, so have my grandchildren, I'm waiting on great grandchildren to film.

It does sound like a RP might be a future proof camera, works with all existing EF/EF-s lenses as well as RF. Will not use "M" lenses though. It will likely have more resale value than a 6D MK II when you are ready to replace it. If you want to play with all sorts of vintage lenses from other manufacturers, virtually all of them can be adapted to mirrorless, the old Canon FD / FL/ R, manual lenses, all old Nikon F lenses, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, Contax, Mamiya Sekor, Medium Format, the list is very long, cheap adapters abound, and no intermediate glass lens is required. Many old lenses are priced at less than $25. Old long telephoto or ultra wide lenses that are very good are harder to find. I have a drawer unit full of adapters for almost every common lens type. Right now, a 6D MK II can be had for a little over $1200 from a authorized dealer, so its $400 less.

6D MK II

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I thought (from spec) that 5dmkiii is digic 5 so old processor ..does that mean bad picture quality!... no clue
Fine picture quality. Video tracking, no. 6D II or maybe the upcoming RP would be good bets for video and picture quality.

Attachments

• Ariel2 web.jpg
    Ariel2 web.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 117
  • Kate 2 web.jpg
    Kate 2 web.jpg
    836.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Lauren 6 web.jpg
    Lauren 6 web.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If / when your grandkids start playing soccer or field sports, you may want a camera that will focus and track with video, beware, 5D MK III won't do that, 6D II will as will 80D and 5D MK IV. I don't do video either, my family has grown up, so have my grandchildren, I'm waiting on great grandchildren to film.

It does sound like a RP might be a future proof camera, works with all existing EF/EF-s lenses as well as RF. Will not use "M" lenses though. It will likely have more resale value than a 6D MK II when you are ready to replace it. If you want to play with all sorts of vintage lenses from other manufacturers, virtually all of them can be adapted to mirrorless, the old Canon FD / FL/ R, manual lenses, all old Nikon F lenses, Minolta, Pentax, Olympus, Contax, Mamiya Sekor, Medium Format, the list is very long, cheap adapters abound, and no intermediate glass lens is required. Many old lenses are priced at less than $25. Old long telephoto or ultra wide lenses that are very good are harder to find. I have a drawer unit full of adapters for almost every common lens type. Right now, a 6D MK II can be had for a little over $1200 from a authorized dealer, so its $400 less.

6D MK II
Roy
If you take anyone's advice here, listen to Mt Spokane. Simply put, mirrorless is the long term way for Canon general purpose cameras, and so look to buy their new R series or better still wait and see their next body, expected to be the lower priced RP that will be announced very soon to see if that fits your budget better. But, the current 6DII is still an excellent buy. It's up to you now to go to a store and try them.
There is always a lot of advice so keep it minimal.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Ok Alan and Mt..so now keeping two options as 6dii or RP...mostly RP unless it gets some very bad hit in review..which normally doesnt happen with Canon...
There will be lots of complainers about the RP, many here are hardware enthusiasts and want high end features. However, a FF mirrorless camera for $1600 is going to be very popular with the majority of photographers. Remember, we are the 1% and our views don't reflect most camera buyers.

Upvote 0