Need your advice: I need a camera strap for hiking

I've used canon hand straps for over twenty years, I find they offer that little something just in case you fall or get knocked where impact or shock could separate you from your camera, I also use ParaCord to make up safety lines that I just slip over my wrist or clip to other straps or tripods/monopod etc when in tough environments. I do like to shoot with no strap and can see why so many would love the system from Peak. Those neoprene straps from opti are great I use one for my Gitzo.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
The best camera strap I have used with a backpack is the Blackrapid backpack strap. I would however take a Mindshft rotation backpack over any strap solution for hiking. I just ordered my third pack. I use them for hiking every weekend. The camera is accessible in 3-4 seconds, and is very well protected. The Mindshift rotation backpacks are great to carry as well.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Larsskv said:
The best camera strap I have used with a backpack is the Blackrapid backpack strap. I would however take a Mindshft rotation backpack over any strap solution for hiking. I just ordered my third pack. I use them for hiking every weekend. The camera is accessible in 3-4 seconds, and is very well protected. The Mindshift rotation backpacks are great to carry as well.

Ah, a BR backpack strap person -- great! Question: can you 'go high' with both straps, or must you go high with one and low with the other?

See the Optech setup here as an example of what I mean. I know the attachment to the camera is to the tripod socket and not the eyelets, but can you hook up to both shoulders up high rather than replicating the BR cross-strap diagonal effect? Thx!

- A

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 7.44.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-10-04 at 7.44.16 AM.png
    197.6 KB · Views: 1,776
Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
ahsanford said:
All, I'm off to Bryce and Zion soon and will do a fair amount of hiking with my LowePro Flipside Sport 10L AW, picture linked below:

http://www.photographybay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Lowepro-Flipside-Sport-10L-AW-Back.jpeg

I usually shoot with a vanilla neckstrap for smaller lenses, unscripted shooting conditions, etc. and a BlackRapid (the standard one) for more camera-heavy use. But considering I'll be hiking with the backpack on, both of those straps will fight with the backpack to some degree. And I want the camera on demand (out in front on my chest while hiking) rather than have to dismount the backpack and pull it out.

All that said, can you recommend a solution that will either use the two D-rings you see on the shoulder straps, the shoulders straps themselves or my backpack top handle as an attachment point? Needs to be able to hold a non-gripped 5D3 with a 16-35 f/4L IS at a minimum, possibly even my 5D3 + 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, but right now I'm just trying to size up my options.

Also, would the Peak Design Capture Pro be a better move than using those D-rings? Those who have used that product in a hiking shoulder strap setup, please advise, thanks.

- A

Off topic, but at Bryce, don't forget to hike the trails, don't just stay on the top of the Amphitheater. I found the best time to shoot at the top was sunrise.
Have fun.
Sek

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
ahsanford said:
Larsskv said:

Ah, a BR backpack strap person -- great! Question: can you 'go high' with both straps, or must you go high with one and low with the other?

See the Optech setup here as an example of what I mean. I know the attachment to the camera is to the tripod socket and not the eyelets, but can you hook up to both shoulders up high rather than replicating the BR cross-strap diagonal effect? Thx!

- A

Sorry, I can't give an input on that. I have never needed two straps at once, and actually I haven't used a strap since I got my first Mindshift rotation backpack.

Upvote 0
Aug 5, 2015
ahsanford said:
Peak's CapturePro is winning in my head right now. My only wildcard with Peak is no strap.

Love the shoulder holster idea, but I could drop my rig. Normally, I'm fine without a strap for quick stop and pop from a satchel on my side when I do a walkabout in town, but on a rocky trail, tired/sweaty/etc. possibly in the rain, etc. I do worry about balance and grip, so a belt-and-suspenders approach might not be a bad idea. I also don't want to sink $79 into the pro clip and then also have to buy their $30 hand strap if I can help it.

Thoughts?

- A

I've never had my capture fall out, but I have almost dropped it when I thought I locked it in but missed. I bought a cheap tether that I clipped to the camera and to my shoulder strap just in case, and have been perfectly happy since.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
joe_r said:
I've never had my capture fall out, but I have almost dropped it when I thought I locked it in but missed. I bought a cheap tether that I clipped to the camera and to my shoulder strap just in case, and have been perfectly happy since.

That's where my head is. CapturePro ordered last night around midnight and somehow I will receive it *today*. #logistics

Will likely jury rig an opposite shoulder strap D-loop to camera eyelet backup in case (a) I misload the clip or (b) accidentally hit the release. A sturdy shoelace or leftover piece of ballistic nylon from old neck straps should do.

Thanks, all!

- A

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
ahsanford said:
pwp said:
There are a lot of good straps out there, but do yourself a favor and at least look at Peak Design. There are a million threads here at CR alone that deal with this subject. Do a search and you'll quickly see that Peak Design has a very high level of support from fussy photographers working in all types of situations.
https://www.peakdesign.com/

-pw

Peak's CapturePro is winning in my head right now. My only wildcard with Peak is no strap.

Love the shoulder holster idea, but I could drop my rig. Normally, I'm fine without a strap for quick stop and pop from a satchel on my side when I do a walkabout in town, but on a rocky trail, tired/sweaty/etc. possibly in the rain, etc. I do worry about balance and grip, so a belt-and-suspenders approach might not be a bad idea. I also don't want to sink $79 into the pro clip and then also have to buy their $30 hand strap if I can help it.

Thoughts?

- A

I use PD Capture with my M3/lens combo clipped to my pack shoulder strap. I would carry my 6D and small lenses on it, but I think the 1DX2 and a large lens would be a bit unwieldy.

I have tried the leash as my safety strap since it would be useful when I set the pack down. I found the cuff to be more useful - I thread the sternum strap through the loop when I'm hiking. It works great as a safety strap and I can wear the cuff on my wrist when I set the pack down. Still have the leash in my camera bag/insert inside the pack in case I want something more.

I recently picked up the shell to go with it since I got tired of swapping it in/out of the pack on a recent trips with light graupel or light rain/drizzle.

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
I just re-read your first post OP. Just thinking about the Peak Design clips, I have two and hardly use them. For a compact camera or a light MFT camera they're a useful option, but for a full size DSLR with a short zoom, I found the clips cumbersome and frustrating. With a 70-200 they're not really viable/workable in my experience.
https://www.peakdesign.com/product/clips/

The PD straps on the other hand are a masterpiece of strap design. No other design matches their options and flexibility. I spent far to much on different brands of strap, BR, CarrySpeed and more before landing on the holy-grail of camera straps at Peak Design.
https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/
https://www.peakdesign.com/product/straps/cuff/ (not for me, but may suit you in combination with a clip)

If you must have a clip system, I find the Spider Pro system vastly superior to the PD offering. It also works extremely well with loads up to a 1DX with 70-200 f/2.8isII.
http://spiderholster.com/spider-pro

-pw

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
The PD CapturePro clip arrived today. My 30,000 foot 15 minutes of use perspective:

[list type=decimal]
[*]It will likely only fit on thinner (and not too wide) shoulder straps. My LowePro Flipside Sport 10L AW worked after some futzing and adjusting and it's a fairly thin sport-like strap. On a big padded shoulder strap for a heavy bag, I have no idea how it would fit -- there just isn't enough 'index-ability' of the strap adjustment screws to make major changes.

[*]It's a bit of a futzy task to get it set in place on a shoulder strap. On something like a leather belt, ballistic hip strap or canvas strap for a satchel, it would be a ton easier, but on a hiking bag with all sorts of engineered bits, padding, stitching, chest anchors, etc. to snake around, it's a proper chore. But as I only hike with one bag and any hip holstering is already served with my BR strap, I think I may just leave this on my hiking bag and call it good.

[*]Well-built. It's pretty solid. I design locking mechanisms as part of my day job, and this one feels intuitive and does not give false positives on seating. It [clicks and is seated] or it [didn't click and it isn't seated]. That's a proper user feedback experience.

[*]The locking mechanism for the release button (i.e. not the primary lock) is a 1/4 twist of the release button. Simple, works, but it's appears to be all plastic -- we'll see if it holds up. If it fails, it won't release the camera -- it simply stops inadvertent release presses. Not worried about it at all, but I'll keep an eye on it.

[*]They recommend you place the clip just under the collar bone and that makes sense for comfort (though it is smooth to not damage clothing, it is still metal and would feel uncomfortable against bone) and it will rest the lens on your pec/chest. The only concern is that to do that -- pack it under the collar bone -- the release, draw, and re-holstering is hard to see / hard to do. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's a deliberate and awkward move, unlike the nearly perfect BR strap draw to shoot. But that's on me, in fairness. I signed up for a chest holder and this is what it takes.

[*]
Stable, solid connection and it does not sway or bounce around. It's a solid concept. That said, I still will belt-and-suspenders it somehow. Likely will have a single camera eyelet tether to the opposite shoulder strap until I've logged more flight hours with it.

[*]Lens to 'bag plastic stuff' contact may occur depending on your bag. In my case, the sternum/chest strap plastic mooring bits on the shoulder strap south of the PD clip location contact the lens barrel of my 24-70 and 16-35 but not my 35 f/2 IS. May need to tinker with that to avoid fretting/rubbing/scuffing damage on the lens barrel. This is more of a common sense consideration than a clip design problem -- consider this with whatever bag you use and either felt/cloth/gaffer the offending bag hardware to not do this if you can (and if you need to, bags will vary).

[*]
Haven't tried the camera connector bit in my Arca Monoball Z1 DP yet as it is packed away for travel... but it's Arca. I'll post later if I find a problem there. Besides, I typically don't hike with folks who give me time to do tripod work, so the feature is gravy and not vital for me.

[/list]

- A

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
ahsanford said:
The PD CapturePro clip arrived today. My 30,000 foot 15 minutes of use perspective:

[list type=decimal]
[*]It will likely only fit on thinner (and not too wide) shoulder straps. My LowePro Flipside Sport 10L AW worked after some futzing and adjusting and it's a fairly thin sport-like strap. On a big padded shoulder strap for a heavy bag, I have no idea how it would fit -- there just isn't enough 'index-ability' of the strap adjustment screws to make major changes.

[*]It's a bit of a futzy task to get it set in place on a shoulder strap. On something like a leather belt, ballistic hip strap or canvas strap for a satchel, it would be a ton easier, but on a hiking bag with all sorts of engineered bits, padding, stitching, chest anchors, etc. to snake around, it's a proper chore. But as I only hike with one bag and any hip holstering is already served with my BR strap, I think I may just leave this on my hiking bag and call it good.

[*]Well-built. It's pretty solid. I design locking mechanisms as part of my day job, and this one feels intuitive and does not give false positives on seating. It [clicks and is seated] or it [didn't click and it isn't seated]. That's a proper user feedback experience.

[*]The locking mechanism for the release button (i.e. not the primary lock) is a 1/4 twist of the release button. Simple, works, but it's appears to be all plastic -- we'll see if it holds up. If it fails, it won't release the camera -- it simply stops inadvertent release presses. Not worried about it at all, but I'll keep an eye on it.

[*]They recommend you place the clip just under the collar bone and that makes sense for comfort (though it is smooth to not damage clothing, it is still metal and would feel uncomfortable against bone) and it will rest the lens on your pec/chest. The only concern is that to do that -- pack it under the collar bone -- the release, draw, and re-holstering is hard to see / hard to do. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's a deliberate and awkward move, unlike the nearly perfect BR strap draw to shoot. But that's on me, in fairness. I signed up for a chest holder and this is what it takes.

[*]
Stable, solid connection and it does not sway or bounce around. It's a solid concept. That said, I still will belt-and-suspenders it somehow. Likely will have a single camera eyelet tether to the opposite shoulder strap until I've logged more flight hours with it.

[*]Lens to 'bag plastic stuff' contact may occur depending on your bag. In my case, the sternum/chest strap plastic mooring bits on the shoulder strap south of the PD clip location contact the lens barrel of my 24-70 and 16-35 but not my 35 f/2 IS. May need to tinker with that to avoid fretting/rubbing/scuffing damage on the lens barrel. This is more of a common sense consideration than a clip design problem -- consider this with whatever bag you use and either felt/cloth/gaffer the offending bag hardware to not do this if you can (and if you need to, bags will vary).

[*]
Haven't tried the camera connector bit in my Arca Monoball Z1 DP yet as it is packed away for travel... but it's Arca. I'll post later if I find a problem there. Besides, I typically don't hike with folks who give me time to do tripod work, so the feature is gravy and not vital for me.

[/list]

- A

PD makes long clamp bolts for thicker straps.
https://www.amazon.com/Peak-Design-Clamping-Capture-Camera/dp/B00H7KU2N6/

The camera connectors work fine in my RRS clamps but YMMV.

Upvote 0

romanr74

I see, thus I am
Aug 4, 2012
Switzerland
pwp said:
There are a lot of good straps out there, but do yourself a favor and at least look at Peak Design. There are a million threads here at CR alone that deal with this subject. Do a search and you'll quickly see that Peak Design has a very high level of support from fussy photographers working in all types of situations.

-pw

An other range of products i really like is thinktankphoto...
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/camera-straps/products/camera-support-straps-v2

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
romanr74 said:
pwp said:

-pw

An other range of products I really like is thinktankphoto...
https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/camera-straps/products/camera-support-straps-v2

Yes, ThinkTank are a great company. Best pack-packs around in my view. Wasn't aware of their straps.

-pw

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
ahsanford said:
ahsanford said:
mnclayshooter said:
I just got back from Yellowstone and used almost all of the above.

Good luck!

A+. Great feedback. Totally missed the BR Backpack Strap -- good add to the "potentials" list.

- A

I'm watching the videos on this now, and as much as this is a BlackRapid without putting a strap on top of another strap (it basically gives your standard BR sling functionality using things already on your backpack), can you possibly hook both clips on the shoulders and bring the camera tight-ish to the chest?

All I am seeing is one-high / one-low (like a sling) or both clipped on to the same shoulder strap like a simple dangling tether (like a surfboard leash). Can you go high-high on both shoulders?

- A

Sorry -was away for a couple of days. To clarify - I don't have the BR pack strap. I had looked at it when it first came out. It is still on the list of "to try" items. I have the BR sport strap and capture pro clips as well as the capture lens module of the capture system.

Upvote 0