Neuro has totally been holding out on us

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
Thanks, Alan! Bryan did all the standardized tests (ISO 12233, Imatest vignetting, etc.), but the ones in the reviews (e.g. real-world sharpness, CA, coma, etc.) are ones I shot.

I recognised your foreign travel in Europe! It is an excellent review. I like TDP as being the most rigorous and honest as well as most informative site for overall descriptions. The only flaw, common to all bar lensrentals, is that readers take the IQ of a single copy as being gospel truth.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
neuroanatomist said:
Thanks, Alan! Bryan did all the standardized tests (ISO 12233, Imatest vignetting, etc.), but the ones in the reviews (e.g. real-world sharpness, CA, coma, etc.) are ones I shot.

I recognised your foreign travel in Europe! It is an excellent review. I like TDP as being the most rigorous and honest as well as most informative site for overall descriptions. The only flaw, common to all bar lensrentals, is that readers take the IQ of a single copy as being gospel truth.

+1. TDP is really what lit the flames of GAS for me. With so many charts in the database, it's a great resource for comparisons. I usually wait for TDP reviews before buying lenses.

It was also nice seeing some pictures from Neuro's reviews of my alma mater. Haven't been back in years, although we are considering taking the kids up to Boston this summer for the Freedom Trail.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Random Orbits said:
+1. TDP is really what lit the flames of GAS for me. With so many charts in the database, it's a great resource for comparisons. I usually wait for TDP reviews before buying lenses.

It was also nice seeing some pictures from Neuro's reviews of my alma mater. Haven't been back in years, although we are considering taking the kids up to Boston this summer for the Freedom Trail.

+1

I'm used to seeing PA landscapes at TDP, so it was nice to see my commonwealth for a change.

And +100 on TDP. I'm seemingly there daily -- such a stellar resource.

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Random Orbits said:

Spoiler alert: you may see a few more in upcoming reviews, MIT is a short walk from where I work. I'm definitely going to work The Alchemist into one.

Ps. Besides the obvious ones in the M11-22 review (Stata and Simmons), did you spot all three campus shots in the M28 Macro review? Well, one is rather unfair – the 'side of a building' mentioned in background blur example is the Guggenheim Lab Building. But there are two others. :)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Random Orbits said:

Spoiler alert: you may see a few more in upcoming reviews, MIT is a short walk from where I work. I'm definitely going to work The Alchemist into one.

Ps. Besides the obvious ones in the M11-22 review (Stata and Simmons), did you spot all three campus shots in the M28 Macro review? Well, one is rather unfair – the 'side of a building' mentioned in background blur example is the Guggenheim Lab Building. But there are two others. :)

Oh, that's sad... Guggenheim Lab Building is building 33?! Never used the name just the building number, and to think I spent my undergrad and grad (for masters) there for Course 16. I might have remembered the name of the building years ago...

The other two shots. The breezeway to the MIT chapel, where my wife and I were married. The other is from the open space near the Stata center/food truck area (or used to be). Building in the back is Whitaker?

Upvote 0
ethanz said:
AlanF said:
insurance company to a Byzantine Court.

I'm not sure which is better...

You ever see Click and Clack or go to their auto shop?

I don't listen to radio but Click and Clack gave our commencement address. the thing they said that stuck after all these years: there are four types of people. Two axis: smart to dumb and lazy to energetic. Smart and energetic people rub others the wrong way. Lazy and dumb is harmless. Lazy and energetic is annoying and harmful. You want to be smart and lazy. ;D

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AlanF said:
What does it say about MIT having so many alumni posting on CR?

That even nerds need help with technical things sometimes, amirite?

I think they just have good taste in online communities. This is one of the most respectful, knowledgable and friendly forums I've ever seen. (Super informative as well for the enthusiast like me.)

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Random Orbits said:
neuroanatomist said:
Random Orbits said:

Oh, that's sad... Guggenheim Lab Building is building 33?! Never used the name just the building number, and to think I spent my undergrad and grad (for masters) there for Course 16. I might have remembered the name of the building years ago...

The other two shots. The breezeway to the MIT chapel, where my wife and I were married. The other is from the open space near the Stata center/food truck area (or used to be). Building in the back is Whitaker?

Correct across the board. :D

Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
ahsanford said:
ethanz said:
I'm not sure which is better...

You ever see Click and Clack or go to their auto shop?

I'm guessing you've heard, but in case you haven't:
https://www.npr.org/2014/11/03/357428287/tom-magliozzi-popular-co-host-of-nprs-car-talk-dies-at-77

No idea if the shop still exists, though.

- A

Yes I heard, not sure about the shop though. I think Ray would still be chumming around somewhere.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Random Orbits said:
You want to be smart and lazy.

I think that is the sort of person who accomplishes a lot. Energetic people may be content to continue to do things the hard way. Lazy people look for faster/better/easier ways to do things. If they are smart, they are likely to find them, often to all of our benefit.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
stevelee said:
I think that is the sort of person who accomplishes a lot. Energetic people may be content to continue to do things the hard way. Lazy people look for faster/better/easier ways to do things. If they are smart, they are likely to find them, often to all of our benefit.

To do anything of any scale, however, you need diversity -- and in this case, diversity of perspective. Throw out the dumb + lazy folks, but with the other three you can solve problems that no single group could accomplish:

smart + energetic --> management, change agents, networkers, project leaders, etc.
smart + lazy --> innovation, blue water perspective, 'what if' imagineering, problem solvers, etc.
dumb + energetic --> shoulder-to-wheel industry, devotion to procedure/simplicity, focus on tasks, bureaucrats that keep the lights on and the bills paid, etc.
dumb + lazy --> we can argue if a company needs those folks, but those toilets won't clean themselves...

i.e. if everyone is Elon Musk, no one is making the coffee, documenting the work or taking a breath to think of a different solution.
i.e. if everyone is from a stoner clique of MENSA, the IP will be mindblowing but nothing will ever get made.
i.e. if everyone is a foot soldier, you'll never have a plan to defeat the enemy.
i.e. if everyone is idiotic and lacks the p--- and vinegar to do something, best of luck to you.

These are horribly coarse generalizations, but you get the idea. We spend too much time trying to burden each other with our specific sensibilities or foster subordinates in our own image, when I think its far more effective to understand the individual and put them in a position to play to their strengths.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
AlanF said:
Interesting. I have been arguing for years that the over-pressurised current school system with too frequent examinations discriminates against lazy smart pupils who are likely to be creative.

As an American, I tend to see these highly standardized, hive mind, completely different ways to educate children in other countries with two different perspectives:

1) Wow, that's... wow. Weird as hell. But have you seen their test scores?!

2) In our own broken-as-hell education system in which two kids in the same town get completely different educations, the US has a comical range to its output -- there is a huge spread in its ability to foster to adulthood people with wildly different perspectives and viewpoints. Upside: we are legion from an innovation perspective. Downside: we can't agree on anything and we fight amongst ourselves all the time.

But we're a little OT here.

Bad Neuro. Pulldowns. Grumble grumble. ;)

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
stevelee said:

To do anything of any scale, however, you need diversity -- and in this case, diversity of perspective. Throw out the dumb + lazy folks, but with the other three you can solve problems that no single group could accomplish:

smart + energetic --> management, change agents, networkers, project leaders, etc.
smart + lazy --> innovation, blue water perspective, 'what if' imagineering, problem solvers, etc.
dumb + energetic --> shoulder-to-wheel industry, devotion to procedure/simplicity, focus on tasks, bureaucrats that keep the lights on and the bills paid, etc.
dumb + lazy --> we can argue if a company needs those folks, but those toilets won't clean themselves...

i.e. if everyone is Elon Musk, no one is making the coffee, documenting the work or taking a breath to think of a different solution.
i.e. if everyone is from a stoner clique of MENSA, the IP will be mindblowing but nothing will ever get made.
i.e. if everyone is a foot soldier, you'll never have a plan to defeat the enemy.
i.e. if everyone is idiotic and lacks the p--- and vinegar to do something, best of luck to you.

These are horribly coarse generalizations, but you get the idea. We spend too much time trying to burden each other with our specific sensibilities or foster subordinates in our own image, when I think its far more effective to understand the individual and put them in a position to play to their strengths.

- A

I absolutely love this perspective.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
JonB8305 said:
I absolutely love this perspective.

For funsies, if you want to turn this oversimplified 'human tic tac toe' into a rubik's cube, then you ponder the nugget that all of us are actually all four types of people depending on the role/task/skill in question:

e.g. for me, personally, in my life as an engineer (and I'll be the first to say that I am a very weird sort of engineer):

project management = smart and energetic
customer facing work = smart and energetic
strategic planning = smart and lazy
ideation = smart and lazy
finance = dumb and lazy
documentation = dumb and energetic
policy making = dumb and energetic
execution to plan = dumb and energetic

You get the idea. Part of it is shape-shifting as the role demands, part of it is what I'm into and get excited about, and part of it is simply how I'm wired.

- A

Upvote 0