Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<strong>5D Mark III Kit Lens Update?</strong>

Received a tip that the 5D Mark III would get an updated “kit” lens. Â Whether or not it’s a direct replacement to the 24-105 f/4L IS is unknown.</p>
<p>The likelihood is good that an updated kit lens could appear with the 5D Mark III. If Canon is upping the megapixel amount as much as we think they will, more resolving power is definitely needed.</p>
<p><strong>Other Rumors?</strong>

Nothing of major note to mention at this time. Some small bits are still showing up, but nothing beyond the obvious.</p>
<p>If I piece together all I’ve read and been told, there will be 3 full frame cameras coming in 2011. There is nothing concrete about what that 3rd one would be. We know the other 2 (1Ds4 & 5D3).</p>
<p>The fabled 3D perhaps?</p>
<p>It was pointed out the name “3D” could be confusing from a marketing standpoint. Could you really call something “3D” if it doesn’t actually do 3D? There’s a big trend in the electronics world for 3D and it’s only going to grow exponentially in 2011.</p>
<p>I’m still not convinced there’s room for 2 full frame cameras between the 7D and 1D Mark IV. Unless your plan is to merge the 1D line in time.</p>
<p><strong>Price Watch Pages</strong>

The price watch pages here at CR have been fixed. They weren’t updating. Sorry about that.<strong> </strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong>

M

MadButcher

Re: New \

Indeed 3D, I don't think so.
It will be to large and heavy even with aps-c sensors to have a real 3D camera.

Tjee, 4D won't happen because in japanese and chinese it's unlucky number associated with death.
The pronouncation of the word "four" is almost the same as "death" in those languages.

Maybe a 2D?
p.s.
A picture is 2-dimensional...., so................

Upvote 0

MadButcher said:
Tjee, 4D won't happen because in japanese and chinese it's unlucky number associated with death.
The pronouncation of the word "four" is almost the same as "death" in those languages.

That hasn't stopped them from using the number 4 in a product name yet. (T2i/550D/Kiss X4)

Upvote 0
J

Justin

or 1D4

bvukich said:
MadButcher said:

That hasn't stopped them from using the number 4 in a product name yet. (T2i/550D/Kiss X4)

Upvote 0
S

scalesusa

Altough a new and better kit lens would be welcome, I hope that its not just a cheaper kit lens. Canon does specialize in low cost kit lenses, but I would not want to see a poorer quality lens like Nikkor 24-120mm VR which has long been known for its marginal performance. Its the kit lens for the D700, and a good thing to avoid. The new f:/4 version does not exist yet, but appears to be a much better unit specification wise.

http://www.bythom.com/24120ens.htm

Upvote 0
U

unexposure

I neither think it'll be called somethin like 2d, 3d or 4d - my guess it would be some kind of "consumer-ff-body" having a somewhat lower price and dozens of picture-stylez n kind of stuff. the fullframe pendant to 60d.
that would give the product line a whole new sense:

pro-line: 1d (crop), 1ds (ff)
semi-pro-line: 7d (crop), 5d (ff)
(better)amateur-line: 60d (crop), XYd (ff)
beginners-line: 550d

it's pretty much the same product-line we had before 7d, just with one more step in between:
pro-line: 1d, 1ds
semi-pro-line: 50d, 5d
amateur: 500d

probably marketing thought it might be a good idea support the customers who can't call themselfs professional (in sense of profession) enough to afford the semi-pro-line and give them an own segment.

considering the lens, I somehow doubt it will be something too similar to the nikon-lens. I rather guess canon will go to extremes as they did on 15-85 (for crop) and pull out somethin that still goes a step further. taken into account that the 15mm on crop is 24mm on ff, 135mm for ff would be a possible thing - on the other side of extremes it would be a stunning, regarding overall-performance, 24-105 f4 II.

otherwise i'd really appreciate it, if it wasn't a zoom but a shiny new 50mm f1:1,4 L if usm ::)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I'm kind of doubting the "three full frame bodies" idea. If it would happen though, I don't see any likelihood that a third body will come in below the 5D.

There is a $3,500 gap between the 5D and 1Ds. It does seem like there could be room in there for another body if the demand is there.

One possibility: split the "studio" and "photojournalist" markets in two. Create a high megapixel body aimed at the medium format market for studio shooters who don't need to have an indestructible body (still very durable, weather-sealed, etc. etc., but not necessarily the kind of camera you can carry with you in a dust storm in the Sahara), then a "flagship" model that will survive an atomic blast, but may actually have slightly less mp than the studio camera. (still more than the current 21mp, but somewhere less than say 50mp). That keeps the file sizes manageable for news and magazine photographers.

Just some speculation. But, what I really can't see is a full-frame model that's less expensive than the current 5D and I certainly can't imagine anything that would undercut the 7D.

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com

Justin said:
or 1D4

bvukich said:
MadButcher said:

Actually, it's the 1D Mark IV. ;)

Upvote 0
P

PHYSICA

MadButcher said:

Maybe a 2D?
p.s.
A picture is 2-dimensional...., so................

actually it might not a main concern for CANON....

BTW , the chinese pronouncation of 5D2 is just like "invincible rabbit" , and the pronouncation of 7D for Cantonese (Hong Kong local language) is just like " much more stupid" .... just for fun

Upvote 0

MadButcher said:

Well, the number 13 is an unlucky number in the western world, and you don't see that avoided. Except in the US... (I've been in buildings without 13:th floors, they go directly from 12 to 14. Same with some American airlines, I've heard... like seat row number 13 would be particular unlucky in case of an accident?!). Naa, I don't think number superstition is a big factor among camera buyers (and that's what counts). Who cares what it's called, anyway.

PHYSICA said:
BTW , the chinese pronouncation of 5D2 is just like "invincible rabbit" , and the pronouncation of 7D for Cantonese (Hong Kong local language) is just like " much more stupid" .... just for fun

Haha, that's just too funny...

Upvote 0

The third body, if it is coming, would probably be a full-frame 1D Mk4n, IMHO.

Canon justified the APS-H sensor by claiming the advantage of shorter, lighter lenses compared to a full-frame camera and to an extent, this is an advantage. But it loses out to full-frame cameras in the high ISO stakes and lots of professionals have been lavishing praise on the D3s in this department.

The reason that I think the 1D line will go full-frame is the emphasis in the press releases that Canon has placed on the reduced weight of the 300mm & 400mm f/2.8L MkIIs over the Mk Is. A 1D Mk4n would also allow them to incorporate some of the new technology found on the 7D (and other lower end cameras) that was missed on the 1D Mk4, either in the hurry to release it, or because they felt it was untested technology and unsuitable for use in their flagship.

Upvote 0
B

baldusi

tzalmagor said:
How many photographers on this site's forums actually need more than 20 megapixels ?

Personally, I'd rather Canon quit the megapixels race, and go back to improve it's lenses - there's plenty of work for Canon to do there.
I think that Canon SHOULD go forward with the megapixel race IF they invest a lot in pixel binning. I usually can't decide between SRAW1 and SRAW2 (D5mkii). If SRAW2 had 10Mp and binned the pixels to have even less noise and/or better DR, I would surely only shoot that. It can be mathematically proved, that's better to take the "average" of 4 pixels of a quarter area of a single bigger one. Why, because a part of the "noise" is electrical noise. That part can be averaged out. Plus you can do all kind of intelligent Anti Aliasing stuff. Just look at PhaseOne Sensor+ technology.

Upvote 0
E

Edwin Herdman

Justin said:
New kit should be a real 5x zoom like Nikon's latest offering.

24-120 f/4 IS

Done and done.

In other requests, how about a 24-70 refresh? Haven't asked for that for about 3 days.
If you had to go with just one lens...that would be a handy focal length range and should be manageable from an IQ standpoint. But I'd rather see a 24-70 update and carry a 70-200 for scenarios that call for it. (Though, from a video standpoint at least, it's nice to have overlap).

Justin said:
or 1D4

bvukich said:
MadButcher said:

That's not proof against MadButcher's point because Kiss X4 puts another sound before 4, whereas 4D leads with the unlucky noise (in Japanese: ecksu-shi vs. shi-D).
PHYSICA said:
Fun!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.