New 1D series blew out my arm!

I picked up a used 1D mkIV, my first 1D series camera with built in grip. My main camera is 5D series (first mkII and now mkIII), so I am used to a fairly heavy body. I have never had an issue (though I often use a tripod).

I used the 1D mkIV with my 70-200 f2.8 handheld for a couple hours at a private photo shoot at a wild cat center. (I had my tripod but ended up not using it). Ever since that trip almost three weeks ago my right elbow has been hurting when I use it for anything (even brushing teeth). Went to urgent care today and I have tendonitis (aka tennis elbow), presumably as a result of the shoot with the heavy gear.

So if anyone is considering a 1D series, make sure you are careful and use a strap or tripod whenever possible. (I stupidly did not get a strap so I carried it by hand the entire time).

As someone who has had both varieties of elbow epicondylitis (tennis & golfers) I can strongly advise the following:

- Get yourself a "Theraband flexbar" of the approriate grade (it was blue for me, but I lift heavy weights)
- Google the "Tyler Twist" exercise and get to it.
- Avoid the temptation to use anti-inflammatories and don't waste money on elbow compression straps.

That will fix your problem, and let you get back to enjoying your new camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
I had to sell my 1D MK IV a few years back after suffering carpal tunnel in my hands, and pinching nerves in my arm and shoulder. I've regained some use since then, but just saw my surgeon about possible arm surgery due to the pinched nerves, so I'm going to avoid anything heavier than my 5D MK III.

I don't know if the camera caused the issue, or using my computer mouse to edit images by the 1000's, but it has been painful.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I had to sell my 1D MK IV a few years back after suffering carpal tunnel in my hands, and pinching nerves in my arm and shoulder. I've regained some use since then, but just saw my surgeon about possible arm surgery due to the pinched nerves, so I'm going to avoid anything heavier than my 5D MK III.

I don't know if the camera caused the issue, or using my computer mouse to edit images by the 1000's, but it has been painful.

I got "mouse finger" a couple of years ago and went over to a touchpad, which cured the problem.

Upvote 0
Giving an update to an old thread. My arm did heal (took a few months) and I did use the 1D4 with a tripod mostly (and with a strap when not). However I just never got used to it being so heavy. Since I have always used the 5D series which are robust, I thought the small increase in weight would not be an issue. But it was.

So today I sent off both bodies (1D4 and 5D3) plus one lens to KEH and will get enough for a 5D4 to replace both previous bodies. I ordered a refurbished 5D4 last night from Canon. Based on my experience I would encourage those wishing to upgrade to a 1D series to try one out before you buy it to see if it will be comfortable for you.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
The problem isn't in the gear, it is in the user's lack of conditioning. I had the same issue a while back, following the first time in a long time hand-holding a Big (well, Medium - 400 f/5.6L) White during a birding day, found the next day that my ulnar (funny-bone) side elbow hurt a lot when I tried to pick up things. I have recovered due to rest and re-conditioning. The disorder you describe is likely medial epicondylitis, AKA golfer's elbow.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golfer%27s_elbow
You can do various stretching exercises involving the wrist and elbow movements, as seen in a good many YouTube physiotherapy videos and pdf patient handouts. In addition to these, I used a flexible rubber bar for resistance: http://info.thera-bandacademy.com/flexbarelbowmedial

Upvote 0

scottkinfw

Wildlife photography is my passion
CR Pro
Ouch.

I agree with Neuro. A hand strap and good neck strap are helpful. I like Peak Design.

It is heavy and with the big whites, it may not be for you.

sek

MrFotoFool said:
I picked up a used 1D mkIV, my first 1D series camera with built in grip. My main camera is 5D series (first mkII and now mkIII), so I am used to a fairly heavy body. I have never had an issue (though I often use a tripod).

I used the 1D mkIV with my 70-200 f2.8 handheld for a couple hours at a private photo shoot at a wild cat center. (I had my tripod but ended up not using it). Ever since that trip almost three weeks ago my right elbow has been hurting when I use it for anything (even brushing teeth). Went to urgent care today and I have tendonitis (aka tennis elbow), presumably as a result of the shoot with the heavy gear.

So if anyone is considering a 1D series, make sure you are careful and use a strap or tripod whenever possible. (I stupidly did not get a strap so I carried it by hand the entire time).

Upvote 0
Funnily enough, I miss the weight of the 1D cameras. I ditched them as the 1DX (and X2) obviously moved more toward speed, and I had been using the 1Ds line for the sake of resolution/image quality. (Remember, when the 1Ds2 came out it was the only SLR which could match medium format for resolution at the time.) As the 5D line took up the resolution/image quality race, I started using those with grips. Still didn't feel right so I went back to the 1Ds3 and took to just stacking files to get higher resolutions and cleaner images. Now since the 5DS R I've not been able to justify sticking with the 1Ds3, and I got a Phase as well for when image stacking isn't an option and I need high quality in a single shot... but I miss that 1D feel. I miss the dimensions. I miss the grip. I miss not having a mode dial. I miss slamming those big batteries in. I miss the shutter sounds (especially the 1Ds2, which sounds like something from a sci-fi film). I miss the cushion shutter. Most of all, I miss the weight. Yeah, the Phase is just as heavy, but it's heavy in a different way, the balance is all off, and the very nature of it means it lives on a tripod, not in my hand. It's not the same as having a 1D in your hand all day.

... And I can barely walk, most mornings. Too much carrying heavy camera equipment and heavy music equipment. No one incident, just built up over a period of about three years. Two spine surgeries, some permanent loss of feeling in both legs, often have to rely on a walking stick in the mornings. I'm 30 and my back is more broken down than my father's, who's in his 60s.

I can still hold a 600mm shot steady at 1/100th without IS, but boy, I can't carry that lens to and from its destination. I can lift a 1D but I can't use it for a shoot. About 2 minutes of shooting is my maximum with gear like that now, handheld. Obviously a tripod negates that but there's not much advantage to a 1D when it's on a tripod; those things are meant to be in the thick of action.

Moral is, even if you don't have one big incident where your body suffers, carrying around heavy gear will build up if you're not a professional weight lifter. For OP it was one afternoon. A friend of mine developed severe muscle and joint problems in their left arm and shoulder six months after they happened to purchase a particularly heavy guitar, and was playing it nearly every day. For me it was three years. For someone else it might be ten years. But it'll be there, however sudden or slow it may be.

I love those heavy 1D bodies. My dream camera is still basically a 5DS R but in a 1D body. But yeah, it's not worth it. Never ignore your body telling you to stop. Doesn't matter if it's a heavy body or a heavy lens, a heavy bag full of gear, or whatever. Cut out what you don't need, and look for lighter alternatives for the things you do need. No piece of equipment, no matter how objectively great it may be or how much you like it, is worth damaging your body for.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Funny, when I pick up the 1DX2 and 400 DO II in its pack bag I can't believe how heavy it is.

When I walk around with it cross slung over my shoulder with its large Jobu mount to grasp, it doesn't phase me, even on 4-5 hour hikes. My strap is short and I tension against it shooting and I balance the weight when walking about 50-50, that is, holding the unit by the Jobu vs. letting it hang from my shoulder with hand on the Jobu, that faces up. It tucks into the crotch of my arm when pulling into the Jobu mount. Without the Jobu I wouldn't be nearly as happy.

Of course I would prefer less weight but the camera grip is substantial and that's a big plus with big lenses. The 6D felt pretty awkward after shooting with the 1DX2 . Now, for tourist type shots with a wider lens I can't really say I'd prefer the 1DX2, it's just too bulky and heavy.

So far, as a lighter build, 140 lb. 68 year old, no complaints handling the gear but don't get me wrong ... I know the day will come. :(

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Everyone has different desires and expectations that come with a cost. I fully understand those who don't want the extra hassle/cost. The cost will be dollars in pretty much all situations and weight if we're talking longer lenses.

Some are shooting with 600 F4, which I have no interest in doing, but having decent 800mm F8 for birding/wildlife has certainly pushed the fun factor upward for me in spite of the weight, which I consider hand-holdable manageable. When a photo I couldn't get before becomes a reality all the negatives just evaporate and I'm thrilled and that's happening a lot. It's all about fun for me and if it isn't fun then of course I'll abandon it.

Jack

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2013
My well-loved 400 f/5.6L and an APS-C body (60D formerly, now 7D2) fits reasonably well on a Cotton Carrier vest, allowing me to use hiking poles or an extended monopod as single hiking pole on steeper or muddier sections of a hike. Any longer than 10" lens, I would be having trouble walking due to lens hitting legs (I am short-waisted). It is a fun lens to use, particularly if you like to hand-hold and shoot birds in flight. It did a commendable job for the eclipse, too. The lens/body balance is good when using a consumer body as I do. I imagine that the Big Whites probably handle better on the 1D series bodies, both for balance and for speed of focus (more grams of glass to push around, needing more voltage from battery than provided by LP-E6).

Upvote 0